Stigma attached to benefits?

holly2234

Reaction score
Does anybody notice anything like this happening? People not wanting to claim because of a stigma, or a stereotype attached to the types of people who do claim? I mean things like JSA here, not tax credits etc.

I hear many things like nobody WANTS to get a job, everybody who is on benefits has more money than everybody else, they can afford flashy phones and things.

Do you think thats true?

I don't know of anyone, personally, who is in receipt of benefits that doesn't want to work and isn't actively trying to find work.

I also don't know where people get the idea that benefit claimants are rolling in it - the people I know are living hand to mouth like the rest of us.

I do have a few people on my fb who are on benefits and seem 'proud' of it and they don't seem to have any intention to get a job. One girl in particular has had 3 kids in 2 years. Both her and her OH are on benefits and have been since forever, I don't think either of them have had a job, I find it annoying how they can get a council house and have a bigger tv than me etc when my DH works all hours of the day to provide for us. There are a few other girls that are on benefits and seem to be constantly posting status about new outfits and nights out, and their kids are dirty and dressed in basic rags in their photos.

I'm not saying that's the case for everyone, my brother was on job seekers for 18months before he got the job he's got now and he was out looking for work and at the job centre literally every day, I know other people that are the same too. It's the minority that make it seem something to be ashamed of I think. My mum was on them for about 3 months at the start of this year when she lost her job and now has a new job which she hates but would rather provide herself for my sister than be on benefits!

I wouldn't say there's a stigma per se, but the people who do abuse benefits (I know of a lot, it's terrible in this country) simply because they don't want to work give those who do claim the benefit for the correct reasons a bad name.

I think most people who claim benefits only get a small amount (my brother was on the unemployment benefit about a year ago, just because he was being a lazy arse- he said he got about $200 a week, not much at all!) but some people really milk it, not sure how, and end up with heaps. It's usually those claiming the solo mum benefits and the worst part about it is the more kids you have the more money you get, so they have kids soley just to get more money :grr:

I know people who see benefits as a life style.. I think its all about mentality - most people I know are too proud to claim benefits. My OH had to claim JSA for a few months - he hated it & said he felt like a "bum" having to go to the job centre. he also said the staff wernt helpful at all & when my dad had to claim JSA (after being made redundant from his job of 16 years) he said the staff were rude!!

Yes it does p*ss me off when people have nicer things then me if their claiming benefits when they could work, but I feel better knowing I've worked my ass off for what I've got

Cx

I would have to agree Char. DH signs on for the last time this week and he absolutely hates signing on. He says the staff are either really rude or lack sense, and he wonders how they have a job there :wacko:

We have to claim them at the moment and it really gets me when some people think we dont try to get jobs or that anything nice we have, we dont deserve. Some people do claim their benefits and spend it on phones and drugs but most of us use them for food and bills. My daughter has waaay better clothes than DH and i do because i prefer it that way. I know some people dont have their priorities right though.

DH now has a job offer but we are waiting for my visa so that i can go with him. I love knowing that our days signing on are numbered. I HATE going there, the people are often very rude and look down on everybody in there, when really most people are very able and educated, theyre just stuck in an unfortunate circumstance.

I posted the thread because i read something where somebody was saying people on benefits can all afford nice things. Just wondered how people really do see it.

I think people who are on benefits and being proud for it don't have it necessary better, they just like to spend their money on flashy things but most often those kids will lack in other departments, like going to sport clubs or having day trips to nice places etc .

I think you get both types of people on benefit, those who genuinely want to return to work and those who see benefits as a way of life. I know of people getting pregnant to continue to be able to claim as a lone parent rather than have to look for work, but I also know of those who use their time as a lone parent to gain qualifications to getting a better job in the long term.
Also those who in this economic climate have to claim JSA come from all walks of life and there are people who have had very well paid jobs being made redundant so the variety of people on benefit is now changing.

Like with most things its a case of a few giving a bad name to others.
My mum used to do the paperwork for a woman that had never worked a day in her life and kept eating loads so she could use her weight as an exscuse and this woman milked it so much shr was getting over 50k a year from benafits, charities and handouts.
She even brainwashed her kids into thinking they could get everything handed to them and pretend to have disabilities so much that they eventualy did have severe learning difficulties.
They are now in their 20's but have the mental age of children

I agree, I think its the people that abuse benefits that give it a bad name x I'm all for people who actually need benefits but those people that use it as a lifestyle choice really grate on me (& I know a fair few)

I am probably entitled to JSA but don't claim because I hate the 'young mum' stereotype that goes with it. Also entitled to housing and council tax benefit but don't claim these either.

I am probably entitled to JSA but don't claim because I hate the 'young mum' stereotype that goes with it. Also entitled to housing and council tax benefit but don't claim these either.

can i ask how you afford to live if you don't receive any money?

can i ask how you afford to live if you don't receive any money?

I don't know, we just seem to manage! We get our tax credits and child benefit and that on top of OHs wage seems to tide us over ok. I don't really have any money for myself for clothes etc but we do just fine :) xx

I am on Income Support and I am not rolling in it.

I save and pay my bills, rent and shopping according to my budget.

My OH signed on In January for the 1st time ever and he is 36.

He officially signed off today after getting a fab job at TESCO.

Personally I have never heard anyone give me sly digs etc about receiving benefits but people who abuse the system are the ones who give genuine claimants a bad name.

V xxx

Im on income support, I put off signing on for ages because of the stereotype and then a week after signing on found out I was pregnant etc. Now its just me and LO, ive looked into working but I couldnt afford to cover childcare on top of my bills and stuff if I went back to work, so I have to stay on income support until my LO starts preschool so I dont have to worry about childcare. I hate being on benifits but unfortuniatly theres no choice. Yes I do sometimes have money left over after all my bills, food and stuff for my daughter but it isnt much and usually goes on general expenses when im out and about with mummy friends or its put back into my savongs account for sophia birthday and xmas presents. I cant wait till I can go back to work again x

I guess it just depends on others perception really.

I have a few friends who are extremely anti-benefits and when I lost my job they were always giving me grief about being on JSA because they didn't understand how hard it is to get a job at the moment (my JSA was NI based and only payable for 6 months)

I am still out of work and claim no benefits, not that we're entitled to anything as OH earns way too much.

I should have taken unemployment when I got out of the military but I was too proud too :( I will be taking it when we leave here, logic trumps pride.

I have the unfortunate pleasure of knowing plenty of people who claim benefits fraudulently (housing benefit, JSA) So my view is slightly distorted. My OH has had to sign on twice in the last 2.5 years, he has no GCSES or Alevels, he has a food hygiene certificate and has found jobs within weeks, yet people say there are no jobs. There are jobs round here, clearly some people think they are above working in fast food or cleaning environments.

My oh was paid £300 more over Xmas due to doing every hour possible at work, I went to the council to inform housing benefit people who then put our claim on hold for almost 3 months whilst they took his average. My 'friend' claimed for 6 months fraudulently and will had to pay a massive £25 admin fee, I will have to pay back any overpayment. Takes the absolute piss!

I have nothing against single parents who take care of their young children. But I do agree there is two very clear different groups of people, those who use JSA and benefits as a stop gap whilst they find other work, and those that are happy on £50 pw doing nothing.

Not everyone finds jobs so easily. After losing mine, I applied for pretty much everything. Got a few interviews, didn't progress further.

I even tried to get a job in a supermarket or even McDonalds, but at that time there was simply nothing going. So it really isn't always as easy as people make out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->