Stigma attached to benefits?

I spent ten months without any work, I attempted to start my own cleaning business, distributed literally hundreds of leaflets, and out of them all I only got 3 jobs - none of which were regular enough, and petered out. I applied for more jobs than I remember, I even ended up just literally applying for every job that came up on a job site simply because I knew they would never get back to me so I may as well. I wasn't entitled to JSA at all because OH earns too much, and I haven't got enough contributions. I think your OH must have been one of the lucky ones, and I'm glad for you guys. But the reality is, there's no jobs, and it's something even the government is recognising.

Now the only job I have is a mere 10 hours per week. We're living in the bottom end of our overdraft and things are tough, I don't buy my own clothes, I get hand me downs from my cousin. Don't get me wrong, we're happy, but the stigma from benefits gets me down. I can't stand the benefits people, if it was up to me I wouldn't be anywhere near them but at the moment we need to take what we can get, which is £5 a week HB and £2 CT, with £20 TC. Just not enough.

xo

OH has an aunt with 5 kids, never worked a day.
If you ask her son what he wants to grow up as, he says "on the dole"
SOME people do wear benefits with pride, have no intention of working and do live far more comfortably because they screw the system. Unfortunately they give genuine claimants a bad name.
I had to claim whilst pregnant for a short time, it was horrendous, walking into the job centre made me feel sick :(

I am probably entitled to JSA but don't claim because I hate the 'young mum' stereotype that goes with it. Also entitled to housing and council tax benefit but don't claim these either.

can i ask how you afford to live if you don't receive any money?

I don't know, we just seem to manage! We get our tax credits and child benefit and that on top of OHs wage seems to tide us over ok. I don't really have any money for myself for clothes etc but we do just fine :) xx

Your OH pays taxes, dont feel ashamed in claiming JSA/income support :flower:

I am very embarrassed about it. I'm on income support.

I worked since I was 12 and held down school/college with work veforehand and afterwards. Whilst I was pregnant I worked in McDonalds for those few extra hours to provide for my child.

If I knew how to upload photos I'd show you what I'm wearing now. Holey leggings, stretched from pregnancy, a maternity top even though my son is 10 months old and holey socks. Do I care? Not one bit. Aslong as my son has ALL his needs covered that's what matters to me. He has soft, comfy, clean clothes, he's fed very nutricious dinners. He's cloth bummed (saves money).

I haven't gone 'out on the piss' or spent your OH's taxes on the cinema either, I've never left my son. I don't see why a childminder should kiss my son's knees better whilst I earn money, which is then going almost entirely on childcare, right? I will definately work again when he's at nursery if not sooner but for now my job is here.

He doesn't sleep at night enough for me to be able to hold down a job anyway.

(My OH works 20hrs a week and is looking for another job).

May I add that I've just turned 19 before I see 'teenage parent, benefit mums' comments please :winkwink:

I hate the stigma that is attached to benefits.
My OH was working when I was pregnant but lost his job. Since DS being born he was trying so hard to get a job, attended loads of interviews but didn't get very far. We struggled living on benefits but then I would see things in the news or people on FB putting status' on about how people on benefits have no intentions of working and have a better life than those who work.

It got to the point where BOTH of us we're applying for ALL JOBS we could find with no luck, I had a few job interviews/phone interviews to be turned down because I didn't have moving and handling or a car etc.

Thankfully OH has a job now but will lose his job in September unless they argee to extend his contract (fingers crossed).

I hate how its the majority who give the minority a bad name & it will always be like that :(

EDIT: Another thing I hate is how where I live people bash those on all "benefits" are scum ect. but some people don't realise nearly everyone on is on SOME form of benefits be it CTC, HB, CB etc. :dohh:

We had to claim benefits for nearly a year and I have no idea where this idea comes from that people who don't work get nice things...we certainly couldn't..

xx

I think it's awful there is such a stigma attached to benefits....although in the area I live.....I can see why. For example, I was a single teenage mum at 19 and was given a council flat which I was grateful for. I returned to work when my ds was 14months as was lucky enough to be offered a decent job. Before that I was n benefits, claimed only what I needed/entitled too (having worked full time since age 16)...And I barely scraped by.

Now I live in the same flat, work full time and oh also works full time. We have never been on holiday, I have a second hand phone, no new clothes etc.....yet we both work full time on joint income of £44k........family above have two kids, neither work, claim benefit and go abroad twice a year, kids decked out in designer gear and (not related to benefits) get smashed and stoned every weekend! How are they affording this? Had convo with them recently and they were boasting about how easy it s to claim benefits and I must be mad to work.......

Benefits are there for people who need them.....and those people I have no issue with at all.....but it's the minority (or majority in this area) :(. Xxx

Sally, its great that youre doing thats best for your family :) You wont be getting any comments about teenage parents! Im 19 too.

Kians mummy, i really hope your OH's contract gets extended! Its so hard to find jobs at the moment at the best of times.

Harveys mum, i know! We cant afford nice expensive things. But some people have it in their heads that we get a lot more than we really do.

Emaritska, how in the world are they going abroad twice a year?! For a start, the job centre wont pay you if you leave the country, unless theyre going for a week and not telling anybody. Its great that you have a good income now and are doing well for yourselves :)

I feel embarassed about it oh worked since 17 but last year he had a car accident and is now looking for work while claiming jsa i dont understand where people get the idea that people on benefits are rolling in it cos we certainly are not we just have about enough money after we have paid bills bought food and essentials for the 2 kids i cant remember the last time i bought myself something new and if it is its maybe a new top out of the charity shop!!!! I do know a few people who claim benefits and are always out spending and they are the ones who have 4-5 kids and i know full well they dont spend all their money on their kids and the amound of money the get coming in for being on benefits with 5 kids u wouldnt want to work!!!!! I hate it and so does my oh hes applied for jobs but has got no where at the moment its a tricky situation people knock people for being on benefits but its not always by choice yes there are the people that couldnt care less and are happy about living off them but you never know whats going to happen in life and should never say never i didnt think id be sitting here on jsa but here we are!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->