Still feeling engorged after feeds..help please

Prinny

BABY NO.3 DUE OCT 2019
Reaction score
Hi
Just looking for some advice, my DD is 8days old and has been only bf, I'm concerned before feeding her my breasts are lumpy sometimes sore (not the nipple, my actual breast) then after feeding her my breasts are the same they are a bit soft but there's still painful lumps, just wanted to know is it ok for the lumps to still be there after?

I keep having to express after she feeds to try to get rid of the lumps, she only ever feeds for 7-10mins if I'm lucky 15mins, she has loads of wet and poo nappies and didn't loose any of her birth weight and actually put on 7oz in 7 days so midwife says she seems to be doing fine, but I'm concerned because she doesn't nurse long enough to drain my breasts I'll end up with that breast infection (sorry forgot what it's called..begins with m)

Is there anything I can do to get rid if the lumps or is it ok I still feel partly engorged/tingly feeling in breasts after feeds?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you..x

Try a feeding position where her nose is positioned in line with the lump (if that makes sense) and massage the area while she is feeding. If she is a lazy feeder and isn't clearing the lumps, use a warm/hot wash cloth over the breast to soften the lumps and then massage them out (the same as hand expressing). It might be worth doing this before she feeds as then she might get more milk out.

It is common to get these lumps at first as your body doesn't know how much milk to produce (and babies are lazy!) but you are right, it could lead to mastitis if left stuck in the breast.

Try messaging them in a hot shower, towards you're nipple and let it leaks. Remember the area under the armpit as well. It's normal to have oversupply at first which will go away after a while just make sure you massage away all the lumps.

Wss^ definitely massage the lumps to avoid mastitis and sore blocked ducts. Great you have a good supply but also a pain (literally!). It will balance out. An excuse for you to take a nice warm bath and do some massaging (just make sure you massage towards the nipple. Don't be disconcerted if you see bits of stringy white milk - that's just old milk from plugged ducts - you may sometimes see it in bubs mouth. Congrats on your new wee bundle!

I still get a couple if lumps come up in one boob everytime it's a bit full, just really massage it and get lo to feed from it as much as possible. I always have loads of milk Jacob is a very short and often feeder.. 5-10 mins and he's done do my breasts are never empty feeling but he is gaining loads of weight so it much be ok for them to feed like that xx

As others have said, position LO's nose in line with the lumps and massage them gently while she's feeding, but I would stop expressing them away at the end of the feed unless you're in real pain. The lumps are probably milk your boobs have made that LO doesn't need and if you keep expressing them away, your body will never get the message that the milk isn't needed so they'll keep happening. So try and get the lumps cleared during the feed rather than afterwards if you can. If you do feel the need to express, try and keep it to a minimum, just enough to ease pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->