Still sick on Zofran?

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
I had bad nausea starting last week, and then starting last Saturday, I'd vomit within 1 hour of waking up. Tuesday I couldn't keep anything down and was sick about every 20-30 minutes unless laying down with my eyes closed.

My midwife prescribed Zofran (8 mg every 8 hours if needed). I ended up going to the ER (per her orders) because I couldn't keep anything down (this was before the Zofran was ready to be picked up) for IV fluids (and IV meds).

I got through yesterday without getting sick, but was still pretty nauseous, even with the Zofran. I got through the day okay, but it was early evening that it was just nearing impossible so I just went to bed. I had a very hard time getting liquids down because of the nausea.

I took Zofran at 5 am, was sick at 7. I've only been sick the one time (so far), but I can barely get any food or liquid in me (trying the liquids more than the food at this point). I'm just too nauseous to be able to get anything but sips here and there down.

I'm debating on whether or not to go back to the ER today (midwife is not in today, and I have an appt tomorrow afternoon), especially as I've been having some slight on and off pelvic pain.

I know the Zofran is doing it's job by keeping me from vomiting all day, but I'm not functional with this level of nausea and can barely get liquids down because of it.

Did anyone else have this problem? How'd you get through it?

I've never been this sick in pregnancy before.

I would go to the ER again for fluids, and they might be able to give you an injection (Injectable Vitamin B1 is usually the first line of treatment when Zofran isn't helping). B-vitamins tend to work a treat on pregnancy-related nausea, and if it does the trick, keeping your B-vitamin levels up is very important so you don't experience this again.

The worst thing you can do during pregnancy is become dehydrated. I'm sure you know that. So get over there and be safe. I'm sure your embryo is fine, but your embryo is also using what little fluid and nutrient you've got in you. So get it replaced. I hope this goes away quickly for you.

Thanks I'm in a room at the ER now. Just waiting on the fluids to be started and then will be getting a scan in a bit (I'm 99.9 % certain the slight pelvic pain and cramping is dehydration relate, but they just want to make sure).

I'm getting some b vitamins on my way home or someone will. I'm praying something helps :(

This is my first week of the semester and I've missed my second day already. Instructors are being understanding, but it's one more thing hanging over my head today, but i know i need to be here.

This is very new for me as dd and ds were nothing comparable.

Sounds horrible :( Zofran did stop the sickness for me but did nothing for at all for the nausea. My nausea was unbearable most of the time but I was very grateful not to be actually sick! I'm sure they can increase your dosage of Zofran if it's not working at the level you are on, be worth talking to the hospital Doctors or your own doctor about. Hope you feel much better soon!

I'm so sorry! Unfortunately, I know your pain and was the exact same way, every 20-30 minutes of everyday. Zofran didn't work for me either, but diclegas did! That stuff is amazing! It didn't stop me from getting sick completely, but I went from every 20 minutes to once or twice a day

Hi I had hyperemesis too mine is better now I'm in 2nd trimester but it was pretty horrible for a while!

I'm in the UK where they don't have zofran but I'm still on 2 tablets 3 times a day. Like you they help with the vomiting but not nausea and I spent so long just laying on the sofa not moving or doing anything even eating!

Try sipping water every few minutes. I know it's hard when you don't feel like putting anything in your body but it's better than going to hospital every few days for fluids.

I hope they can help you or it gets better soon or both xxx

I'm just going to add this incase its a help but apparantly eating beans can help as they stop the stomach acid it may be worth a try? Best of luck x

https://www.karenhurd.com/pages/healthtopics/specifichealthconcerns/ht-shc-morningsickness

Some short comments from people who tried it :)
https://community.babycenter.com/po...ss_cure-im_trying_it_today_update_in_comments

I've had HG in my past two pregnancies so I'm expecting it this time as well. Amazingly with my first pregnancy I never had morning sickness once so when it hit me with my second pregnancy I wasn't prepared at all. There were times when the sickness became so bad I even regretted my pregnancy. Of course I felt bad afterwards but I didn't know how I could deal until the second trimester. When I became pregnant with my third baby my doctor prescribed me Diclegis and it was a miracle drug! I still felt nauseated when I didn't eat often but not the 24/7 nausea that I was having before. You could tell when it started to wear off though. It is much safer for pregnancy than Zofran. Zofran only treats the vomiting, it doesn't help the nausea. If I were you, I'd ask them for Diclegis. It seriously was the only thing that got me through my pregnancy with my third baby. Good luck, hun! I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with this :hugs2:

I've had HG in my past two pregnancies so I'm expecting it this time as well. Amazingly with my first pregnancy I never had morning sickness once so when it hit me with my second pregnancy I wasn't prepared at all. There were times when the sickness became so bad I even regretted my pregnancy. Of course I felt bad afterwards but I didn't know how I could deal until the second trimester. When I became pregnant with my third baby my doctor prescribed me Diclegis and it was a miracle drug! I still felt nauseated when I didn't eat often but not the 24/7 nausea that I was having before. You could tell when it started to wear off though. It is much safer for pregnancy than Zofran. Zofran only treats the vomiting, it doesn't help the nausea. If I were you, I'd ask them for Diclegis. It seriously was the only thing that got me through my pregnancy with my third baby. Good luck, hun! I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with this :hugs2:

What she said. It was my miracle drug too! Best. Thing. Ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->