still upset after 18 months?!

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
don't know if this is the right place to post....

I hoped for a very natural birth and as I was 42 weeks pregnant had to be induced and as it happens, fetal BP kept dropping, they had to take blood samples from my LO's little head, etc etc etc and ended up with emergency forceps delivery :nope:
Lo was absolutely fine and gorgeous :cloud9: and to be honest even though it was not the birth I wanted and it did have a few complications it wasn't the end of the world. so why I feel so upset when I think about it??
I have my hospital notes and the other day was reading the midwifes after care comments and I could not stop crying :cry:
I remember feeling soooo out of it, as if things were not happening to me :shrug:
Anyone else?
Any help?
It's still really upsetting after 1 1/2 years! :cry:

Hi:

I had a similar experience. I wanted an all natural birth and instead got the cascade of interventions. I very narrowly avoided a c-section and ended up with forceps. For months afterwards I was out of my mind, crying frequently, very upset. I had frequent invasive memories of what happened. I lost a lot of sleep.

Then, one day, I decided, f*ck it, I have the right to be upset. I thought about why i was upset and realized, and accepted, that it was because i had been badly abused. I was treated like garbage for refusing an unnecessary c-section, which they wanted me to have because they were tired of waiting. I was forced to go TWO DAYS without food. I cried and begged for food - literally begged as i was STARVING - and no one helped me. All because they wanted to avoid exposure to liability in the highly unlikely event that i required a general AND asphyxiated. I was told for 8 hours that my body couldn't do it, that i would never dilate to 10, that "sometimes nature just needs a little help", in an effort to get me to agree to the c-section. Then, when i finally dilated to 10, I was told that i didn't have the energy to push the baby out because of how long they had forced me to go without food. I was forced to labour on my back with my knees pinned to my chest, and had a nurse imply that i was a bad mother for refusing to follow her orders (everything she "suggested" was best for baby, and if i didn't follow her orders she'd ask "why don't you want what's best for your baby?" and look at me like i was some kind of monster). I was lied to and told that there were NO risks to a c-section. It was a truly awful experience.

You also had an awful experience. Maybe you were treated poorly. Maybe you were coerced into medical interventions that were "recommended" because it was what was best and easiest for medical/hospital staff. Maybe deep down you know that what they did was wrong, and your spirit is calling out to you, begging for you to acknowledge that.

Once i acknowledged the wrongs i started to take action. I wrote letters to everyone who i felt had wronged me and sent them. I didn't hold back. I thought "why should i protect the feelings of people who treated me so poorly. why should i respect people who clearly have no respect for me?"

I am so glad i sent those letters. I started writing the letters in September 2012, and set the last one in April 2013. I was TTC for a while, and conceived finally after receiving the last reply.

I think you need to let it out. Be honest about how you really feel about what happened. Don't try to suppress it. Allow yourself to fully feel what happened, write it all down, even if just for yourself.

If you don't acknowledge it and allow yourself to acknowldge what happened you may never be able to heal.

I know it's so hard. It's such bullshit how badly women in labour are treated. It's a travesty of justice that hospitals can freely and without any accountability abuse and batter women in labour. It's a testament to how far we still have to go as a society.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I wish you the best moving forward and healing.

:hugs:

It's okay to be upset. I went through a similar 1st birth and it felt like assault. It still does. I had a 'perfect' birth almost 3 years later and there is no comparison. My only saving grace from it is that at least I learned a certain compassion that I never knew I had, and I frequently go to rallies/events advocating women's rights in birthing. We can't fix the past but we can help other future women at least.

Many thanks ladies
I've just got a referal for counselling so I hope that will help too

Try and remember that babies die in third world countries- as do mothers all the time.You have abeautiful baby and your life. Have you considered you may have a bit to post traumatic stress and some councilling might help.?
Sounds like you didnt have the best experience

Try and remember that babies die in third world countries- as do mothers all the time.You have abeautiful baby and your life. Have you considered you may have a bit to post traumatic stress and some councilling might help.?
Sounds like you didnt have the best experience

^^ that is excatly what I feel I have, as although I don't have flashbacks etc the way I feel everytime I go through the images in my head I get unbelievably upset and anxious. I of course know babies and mothers die, and I also know that other have had worse or really dangerous births compared to mine, that's why I feel my reaction is strange.
I've been thinking about this since I posted, and I am wondering what cause dthe shock, if teh birth itself or the first days when LO wouldn't feed/sleep and I was totally overwhelmed?
anyway, I have beed refered for counselling so hopefully that will help.
thanks

https://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=6821#.Ua9fWY26sPg.facebook

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"