Stinky sink!

onlyme

Reaction score
I don't know what's got down my plughole, but it smells bad.

Anyone got any tips for making it smell fresh again please?

ETA - It's the kitchen sink if that makes a difference.

Try taking off u-bend and cleaning it

Or chuck a bottle of mr muscle down it to try and shift the blockage

Is it an eggy smell ? Could be that the drains are blocked. If you have drains covered under a homecare scheme, they will come and unblock it for free.

I always use caustic soda to unblock drains. And then disinfect with Zoflora or just disinfectant, everytime I wash up

xx

There may be food in the U bend unscrew it and clean it, if not put some bleach down there, always works a treat :thumbup:

We always pour bleach down there if we smell something funny. Seems to always do the trick!

i let the tap run for ages and go outside and make sure the drain has no leaves in it

Thanks everyone! Will have a go with bleach and hot water to start with.

Righty, the bleach has got rid of the smell, but i can see gunge down there now i've had a close look so how do i do the u bend thing? Do i have to turn the stop cock off?!

You don't have to turn the stop cock off, but do put the plug in the sink, clear the cupboard out and put a bowl and some towels down in the cupboard ... as there will be mess and water.

Personally I'd try loads of caustic soda (washing soda crystals) washed down with boiling water from the kettle before taking the U bend out - that dissolves grease and clears the U bend :happydance: That will probably do the trick without having to take it all apart :thumbup:

Caustic Soda is really cheap too ... nowhere near the cost of Mr Muscle products and just as effective. I use it for all sorts, including stain removal on fabrics and my gran even used to use it on insect bites to stop them itching - gotta love the old remedies :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->