Stinky tummy button help!

sarah1980

Reaction score
My son is 9 weeks old today and ever since his cord fell off he has had a wet, sticky, gunky, smelly tummy button! It isn't infected, I've had 2 swabs done and both were negative and it doesn't show any signs of being infected. I've been to the GP surgery 3 times since he was 4 weeks old and they are next to useless, one GP said it was a granuloma and prescribed an antibiotic cream which did nothing. Then I saw the other GP who wouldn't do anything as she didn't agree it was a granuloma �� Then the other GP was supposed to call me but hasn't. Now they've prescribed oral antibiotics which I haven't even taken to the chemist as I feel she only prescribed them as she didn't know what else to do! So I'm at a loss as to what to do! I have to bath him every second day as it really stinks! Has anyone any ideas or experienced this before? He's not bothered by it in the slightest thankfully it's just the awful smell and the green discharge staining his clothes.

Thanks,

Sarah xxx

Attachments

• IMG_4896.jpg
    IMG_4896.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 10
Have you asked a health visitor or community children's nurse? They may have seen it before and have some good tips. As long as you're keeping it clean and dry and getting air to it I'm not really sure what more you could do if it's not infected

My son had this and my health visitor use a caustic pencil on it to dry it up. I think you can buy it over the counter. It worked a treat! He is now nearly 6 and it looks completely normal xx

My son's belly button was a bit like this. Sudocream helped sort it out.

Have you asked a health visitor or community children's nurse? They may have seen it before and have some good tips. As long as you're keeping it clean and dry and getting air to it I'm not really sure what more you could do if it's not infected

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I've shown the health visitor each time she has been round and she was at a loss too so referred me to the GP. I think I will try a bit more nappy off time to see if a bit more air helps. Thanks :)

My son had this and my health visitor use a caustic pencil on it to dry it up. I think you can buy it over the counter. It worked a treat! He is now nearly 6 and it looks completely normal xx

Was it a styptic pencil? I have heard people mention silver nitrate when I've googled but the GP said it's not something they tend to use nowadays :-/

My son's ped used a caustic pencil and it cleared right up.

Yes it was the styptic pencil (silver nitrate) but it didn't cause him any pain and worked very quickly. Not sure why they won't use it any more?

now i would use talc but not sure if your allowed these days

YOu can easily fix a granuloma at home by packing it with salt for a half hour. My DS1 had one and was advised by a pediatrician to pack it with ordinary table salt for half an hour, then clean it out. Literally this is all you need to do, the salt dries it out and it’ll be gone in a few days. Worked like a charm with my son and it doesn’t hurt them.

Here’s some uk nhs info about salt treatment: https://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/patients_leaflets/paediatrics/Umbilical_Granuloma_patient_info.pdf They advise to do it over a few days - I only had to do it once, but it depends how bad it is I suppose.

YOu can easily fix a granuloma at home by packing it with salt for a half hour. My DS1 had one and was advised by a pediatrician to pack it with ordinary table salt for half an hour, then clean it out. Literally this is all you need to do, the salt dries it out and it’ll be gone in a few days. Worked like a charm with my son and it doesn’t hurt them.

Here’s some uk nhs info about salt treatment: https://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/patients_leaflets/paediatrics/Umbilical_Granuloma_patient_info.pdf They advise to do it over a few days - I only had to do it once, but it depends how bad it is I suppose.

Thanks for your reply. I had heard of using salt and one of the nhs trusts in England even has a leaflet online on how to do it but being cautious I thought I'd ask the GP first. I suppose it's worth a try since I'm getting nowhere anyway! That's exactly what I think it needs, drying out.

Sarah xxx

Does this look like a granuloma or am I going mad?! :wacko:

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members