Stomach ulcer? UPDATED!

natasha82

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had a stomach ulcer? I have been on medication (Omeprazole 20mg) previously for a suspected stomach ulcer and excess acid, but was never actually tested for one? I just took the medication and the pain and acid went away and just flared up every now and then.

But i now keep getting a horrible stomach pain high up just under my breastbone in the middle and it goes straight through to my back. I initially put it down to eating wheat/gluten foods so started to cut the big items out such as bread, pasta, cakes etc. And it did seem to help at first, my stomach pains would die down (never completely go away) for a day or so, but then i would eat something else and it sets it off. I think onions is another food that nearly kills me now. :cry:

So i tried Gavisgon, drank milk, i've been taking the Omeprazole and i got some Ranitidine and nothing is working, it is agony. It is like a burning pain/stomach pain so i'm assuming its acid and has irritated something in my stomach?

I have a drs appointment on Wednesday but was wondering if anyone knew of anything else that could help soothe this pain until then? Do you think it sounds like a stomach ulcer?

I might be wrong but I thought pain like that was to do with the gallbladder. When I had a stomach ulcer my only symptom was vomiting blood.

No i'm pretty sure you can get these symptoms with a stomach ulcer. Also i get the pain after eating which is another symptom apparantly? I'm not sure about the gallbladder?

I took a really good med for it, trying to remember what it was called.

Edit: It was pantoprazole. Dunno if you can get that over the counter there but you can here so maybe

I've phoned NHS Direct cos i can't cope with this pain anymore. :cry:

Waiting for a nurse to ring me back.

I had a suspected ulcer, and when the meds didnt help, I had to go to the ER at 5am during an attack that lasted several hours. They didnt let me leave, apparently my gallbladder was so infected my life was in danger. They ripped that sucker out that very day and it's been peachy ever since! So glad you are going back to the doctor, if you werent, that would be my only suggestion!

Got an out of hours drs appointment at the hospital in the next town. Bit rubbish as now have to organise feeds and what not to take with us to make sure LO is ok. Bit of a faff going out of town but i might find out what is wrong.

Its when an ulcer ruptures that you get pooing or vomiting blood, my ex BIL had an ulcer apparently it is commonly caused by a bacteria called h.pylori, before it gets to the ulcer stage this bacteria can cause excessive acid and stomach pain. There are special antibiotics that treat it and can get rid of it completely in some cases but some NHS trusts don't prescribe these very often as they are expensive instead they prefer to dole out Losec as it costs them pence :( xx

I have had ulcer problems for a few years. Three years ago I had a perforated ulcer and almost died. I have had an endoscopy on four separate occasions which confirmed multiple gastric and duodenal ulcers. Ulcer pain and gallbladder pain, from what my gastroenterologist has said, can be very similar.

My ulcers are unexplained. They are not caused by bacteria or NSAIDs. In all likelihood I will be on proton pump inhibitors for the rest of my life. One thing I must mention is that drinking milk is counter productive. (I never knew this until my doctor told me.) While it may help in the short term, consuming dairy increases the amount of acid the stomach produces. You would be much better off avoiding it altogether if possible until you can get checked out. Try to make sure there is always something in your stomach so the acid has something to work on instead of your stomach lining.

I hope you get seen soon and start feeling better!!:hugs:

I had heard that before actually about the milk. :wacko: I have found it so hard to eat much of anything today or drink anything, its just so painful and i'm so scared to eat something that makes it worse. It's a vicious circle. I'm leaving soon to get seen, but dont hold out much hope that they will do anything.

Keep us posted. I hope they do something so you can get some relief.

The dr just prescribed me some tablets called Motilium (domperidone). But couldnt get the prescription until today due to everywhere being closed. Luckily the pain went away finally in the night and stayed away all day today until the evening. Now i have the bad pain again that goes through to my back and feels like ive been winded? So fed up of this now. I see the dr tomorrow.

I think if all those different meds aren't working then maybe they should consider it being something else.

So i went to my own dr on Wednesday and he asked me lots of questions about where the pain was, how bad it was etc and felt around my stomach - which was tender on the right side more? I hadn't really noticed before, i just felt pain and that was it.

I asked him what he thought it was, could it be a stomach ulcer. He said its hard to say as i have no bleeding or blood when i do a bm and no vomiting, but it still could be an ulcer. But also my pain and symptoms point to my gallbladder too?

So he prescribed me some tablets (Lansoprazole) to take twice a day instead of once a day and gavisgon 4 times a day. Also to have bloods taken as this will show any abnormalities that would indicate gallbladder or ulcer problems and to see dr again in 4 weeks time.

So had my bloods taken on Wednesday and yesterday late evening the dr's receptionist rang me at home to say they had the results of my blood tests back. They showed abnormal liver function? And the dr wants to see me again to discuss the results and wants me to have an ultrasound scan and to have some more blood tests.

Abit scared now thinking what it could be? The pain is still there despite the new medication. My drs couldnt get an appointment again with the dr until the end of June, but if my pain keeps up or gets worse i am going to A&E or getting an emergency appointment at the surgery. I don't know how much more of this constant stomach pain i can take. :cry:

:hugs: I hope its nothing serious and they can help you with the pain soon

Just found out that i actually have a gallstone. Not sure what will happen now, but all i do know is that when i miss one tablet the pain comes back? I don't want to be on medication forever though or on a restricted diet. I love food and want to enjoy my food not just have bland foods for the rest of my life. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->