Stop telling me I can't do it!

Oh one of my faves tho is when people say "well your not even pregnant yet so how do you know what kind of birth you want!?".

Uhm, it's called a book and READING bia!!! Lol

Oh one of my faves tho is when people say "well your not even pregnant yet so how do you know what kind of birth you want!?".

Uhm, it's called a book and READING bia!!! Lol

That makes no sence, Its like saying you dont know what you want for lunch untill your hungry.

I'm a first time mom and have decided to have a natural birth (w/o any form of induction and/or pain meds) I wish friends would be more supportive! Even those who have had kids say, "Oh. You think you'll be able to go all natural but when you're actually experiencing it you'll be asking for meds in no time. You think you're strong enough but you'll see!" When I tell them I'm only 12 weeks pregnant and have already begun my research in preparation for natural child birth they just roll their eyes! I mean, I can do this, right? Stop telling me I won't be able to and that I don't know my own strength!!!!!!

Ok, sorry for the rant ladies.. I just needed to get this out!
:growlmad:

You can do it!!!

Ugh - i'm learning that, now that i'm pregnant, other peopel apparently think they know more about my body than i do! ridiculous!

You can certainly do it! :flower:

you can do it, of course you can! When people say things like that, just say "we'll see" smugly. Just imagine their faces when you tell them you did it. Smart arses. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like nothing u can imagine, but it's do-able! People always said to me "oh you'll be fine, sure you've got 2 arms and legs full of tattoos" ummm yes I do and every last one of them hurt! I do NOT have a high pain threshold. And yes I had an epidural, but it didn't do a dam thing. I felt it all. But I did it, and now I know I can I'm going for g&a only next time!

you can do it, of course you can! When people say things like that, just say "we'll see" smugly. Just imagine their faces when you tell them you did it. Smart arses. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like nothing u can imagine, but it's do-able! People always said to me "oh you'll be fine, sure you've got 2 arms and legs full of tattoos" ummm yes I do and every last one of them hurt! I do NOT have a high pain threshold. And yes I had an epidural, but it didn't do a dam thing. I felt it all. But I did it, and now I know I can I'm going for g&a only next time!

Congrats on your new ticker :hugs:

Hey, drug free is NOT "without pain relief". People forget that!

Course you can do it, woman have only had pain medication since 1900 ish, we did it for hundreds of years with out before that.

But don't you hate when people say "Well a lot of women DIED from child birth before that".

Well yeah but it wasn't from pain dummy! It was from complications and lack of pre natal care. Those women still drank, wore tight dresses, girdles, rode horses, didn't have vitamins or any other pre natal care that we have now. And also they didn't have any way to help ease the baby out if it was struggling or ripping the mom, so those women would bleed to death or have still borns. So THATS why they died. :dohh:

Or their dr didn't know to wash his hands after handling that corpse, so she got a fatal infection...

I am so looking into acupuncture if I have another baby!

There's also water (shower, birth pool), heat pads, massage, aromatherapy, homeopathy, hypnotherapy, moving/changing positions, breathing techniques, reiki... There are lots of options to increase your comfort and help baby descend and emerge gently and smoothly.

Think positive! Your body knows how to birth just like it knows how to be sick. Surrender to it. You absolutely CAN do it. :D

once I had told everyone my plans to have an all natural birth, my cousin said "You're crazy, I just want my experience to be like plastic surgery, go to sleep and wake up with something new." and I thought to myself "it's women like you who are the reason behind the poor rates in the American birthing society."

Seriously, some people might not think they can do it, but I know I can, and frankly I don't think they have any business in telling someone else they can't do something :growlmad:

once I had told everyone my plans to have an all natural birth, my cousin said "You're crazy, I just want my experience to be like plastic surgery, go to sleep and wake up with something new." and I thought to myself "it's women like you who are the reason behind the poor rates in the American birthing society."

Seriously, some people might not think they can do it, but I know I can, and frankly I don't think they have any business in telling someone else they can't do something :growlmad:

Wow your cousin's comment really shocks me! Perhaps she would prefer to buy her babies from a catalogue?! :wacko:

yea, shocked me too when she said it, I just gave her this disgusted "you're effin nuts" kind of look.

I don't talk to her much lol, I'm sure you can see why

There is an article a friend has given me to read about Autonomous Pregnancy I like one of the excerpts from it.
"Trust intuition; at this point some readers may be thinking 'I could never so that', 'I could never trust myself' or 'what is something happened?' The difficulty in this in a western industrialised society is that we are trained from the very earliest point in our lives to ignore our intuition, trust science, trust medicine, hand over responsibility and all will be well. A lifetime of living surounded by this kind of mentality can be extremely challenging to ignore or overcome, especially when in fear for the life of a child (but that fear wasn't placed there by you) Trusting our intuition can only come with practice and pregnacy is the perfect place to start. Having a new life to protect hightens intuition as well as the motivation to listen to it helping mother and child to establish an immeasurably strong bond even before birth when mother and baby unite in the climax of there relationship so far."

I love these inspirational words!
XxX

I agree, that's a good one :thumbup:

If ladies like us have our hearts and minds set on something, why bring us down with negativity?

We can do it because we were born to do it, just like our mothers who lived thousands of year before us.

Birth is a natural process, not an illness.

ok, I'm done >.>

The best advice I had was to educate myself-

If you learn about the in and outs :))) of it all any opinion can be rebuffed with knowledge. No matter how you chose to give birth, if you make an informed choice its entirely your decision about your body and your baby :D

good luck! X

I didn't chose a home birth but everytime I went in to hospital I never got any pain relief as they said my contractions weren't strong enough (apparently because I wasn't screaming and swearing they thought nothing was happening!!). So I got to 9cms on my own anyway, so don't listen to your negative friends and prepare yourself for the birth you want.

CMA24 I totally understand your frustration. My friends and family are doing the same in fact some are even mocking me and saying they'd love to be there for the birth cos its going to be oh so funny to see me in Labour.

I don't think they realise just how much their comments are upsetting me. I cant help but take it personally cos it shows how they view me... which is what? a joke?!

We can do this! We just have to ignore everyone and their negativity.

Not sure why you suddenly become public property when pregnant (Horror stories about tearing/best way to do this and that/you should buy this/when I did it I...) but I can tell you I'm finding it pretty tiresome already.

Good luck Lady, you have the power of Life inside you and if that's not the strongest power in the universe then I don't know what is.

xxx

Does anyone else get this from their OH? Every time I talk about the birth he contradicts me, thinks I'm full of mumbo-jumbo and says I'll be screaming and moaning in agony, because that's what everyone has told him it will be like. I asked him to keep his thoughts to himself early on and he did from then on but in the last week or so as the whole thing gets closer he's started saying things again. Really gets on my nerves! Fortunately my mum is very pro-natural birth and supportive of my wishes.

I know some women have shown OH Utube videos of natural/home births to show them birth/labour isnt just like one born every minute!:) (there is some good ones on the 'homebirthers and hopefuls' thread)
Its good you have one supportive person to help you stick to ur guns!
Xx

took my hubby with me to every class, an infant care class, and a couple lamaze classes where they made us watch enough birthing videos to last a lifetime. He's such a trooper, haha.

When I talk to him about it, he says if I ask for the epidural he will tell me no :haha:

Does anyone else get this from their OH? Every time I talk about the birth he contradicts me, thinks I'm full of mumbo-jumbo and says I'll be screaming and moaning in agony, because that's what everyone has told him it will be like. I asked him to keep his thoughts to himself early on and he did from then on but in the last week or so as the whole thing gets closer he's started saying things again. Really gets on my nerves! Fortunately my mum is very pro-natural birth and supportive of my wishes.

i'd tell him i dont want thatattitude in the birthing room :-S

pain - especially not agonising pain - is NOT a given for every birth. you can do things to make birth easier and more comfortable. moaning and screaming is also not a given. the only moaning i did was occasionally during pushing and it wasnt painful. more sex-like noises, tbh! it was lovely and peaceful, with very little pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->