Stopping bf this weekend - any advice?

baby1wanted

Reaction score
Hi all
So as title says my bf journey us coming to an end. I only feed evening / night now since I went back to work in November.
Anyone got any tips on stopping? I'm not worries about DS I think he'll cope ok, my MIL and SIL are coming to stay to support me through it.
Just wondering more about my supply. Should I express and gradually reduce that way or just go cold turkey and face the engorgement? Just worried about getting mastitis...
TIA

Mastitis can be a real problem so I'd play it by ear if I were you. If you feel yourself getting uncomfortably engorged you should express, but if it isn't really noticeable you might not have to.

If you are feeding very little anyway you probably don't have a very big milk supply, remember it will be as much as little one currently takes. Are you cutting all of his feeds in one go? Or is he only feeding once anyway?
I think the same as pp, if you're feeling too uncomfortable, just express a little off to help you, but don't empty the breast because you make whatever you take out.
Good luck hunny, it's an emotional time but after you have got there probably not much will have changed, you'll still snuggle up with your baby :) xx

I agree with others don't let yourself get engorged as mastitis is horrible.

How I did it ( and I was exclusively pumping) was to gradually pump less and less and taking less out tricking my body into thinking my baby wanted less.

I stopped feeding and reduced it to only one short night feeding thinking it wouldn't hurt to stop and it did! I expressed a little bit to relieve the pain for a few days and then I kind of dealt with it (my breasts would leak for a few nights) but after that he was fine. Probably took four/five days doe the pain to fully stop and that engorged feeling to go away. A lot of people say not to express at all but I found a little took the pain away a lot. Also cabbage leaves help and wearing tight bras at night helps reduce supply and leakage I think x

[QUOTE/]wearing tight bras at night helps reduce supply and leakage I think x[/QUOTE]

I would have thought anything restrictive would risk mastitis?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->