Storage of Expressed Milk and Feeding Questions

mandaa1220

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting to stash some breast milk in the freezer, as when I go back to work, I have to have a stash at daycare. When I pump, how much do you estimate that I should be putting in each storage bag?

Also, when I do introduce the bottle to my LO in the next couple of weeks, how much expressed milk should I offer him at a time? Is it the same as when they nurse, that they can't over eat? or if I offer too much, will he over eat?

FTM questions! I appreciate the help :)

Probably 3oz to start with as when it's thawed out you can't freeze it again so if you froze it in larger amounts and your lo didn't have all of it your daycare would have to throw the excess away. They can always thaw out another if he wants more. I don't know about overfeeding ebm in a bottle. Mine didn't start to have bottles on a regular basis til she was 9 months old and she was already eating plenty of solids by then and I sent her with formula, so it wasn't an issue I had to think about, sorry x

Probably 3oz to start with as when it's thawed out you can't freeze it again so if you froze it in larger amounts and your lo didn't have all of it your daycare would have to throw the excess away. They can always thaw out another if he wants more. I don't know about overfeeding ebm in a bottle. Mine didn't start to have bottles on a regular basis til she was 9 months old and she was already eating plenty of solids by then and I sent her with formula, so it wasn't an issue I had to think about, sorry x

Thanks! No problem - hopefully someone will come along who had to give bottles earlier! I appreciate the help.

Breastfed babies consistently take in about 3 oz per feed, regardless of age, so I agree with storing 3oz.

We waited until 6 weeks to introduce but I know many ladies here did so earlier with success.

Bottle fed babies tend to overeat only because the person feeding tends to encourage them to finish the bottle. If your baby unlatches from the bottle, burp, offer bottle again, and if she doesn't want it then don't force it. As long as you're not offering more and more like people do when formula feeding and stretch out the stomach, you won't overfeed.

Breastfed babies consistently take in about 3 oz per feed, regardless of age, so I agree with storing 3oz.

We waited until 6 weeks to introduce but I know many ladies here did so earlier with success.

Bottle fed babies tend to overeat only because the person feeding tends to encourage them to finish the bottle. If your baby unlatches from the bottle, burp, offer bottle again, and if she doesn't want it then don't force it. As long as you're not offering more and more like people do when formula feeding and stretch out the stomach, you won't overfeed.

Awesome, thank you. The LC at the hospital recommended giving the infant teachers at the daycare information about paced bottle feeding, so I looked into it and will probably share. Luckily I also work at the daycare that my son will be attending, so I will be able to nurse on my break and be around if there are issues. Hopefully he does well with the bottle!

My baby is still learning to BF in the NICU, so I do not have any personal experiences to share with you. I did however want to come by and say congratulations!!

:wohoo:

My baby is still learning to BF in the NICU, so I do not have any personal experiences to share with you. I did however want to come by and say congratulations!!

:wohoo:

Thank you!!

Lots of well wishes to your little babe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->