Strange question about things to buy

indianorchi

Reaction score
I'm living at home with my parents and am getting loads of help from everyone which I really appreciate but I've run out of things to buy and it's making me sad haha.
I have a cot, matress, sheets, matress protectors, blankets, pram blankets, pram, moses basket, loads of clothes, booties, socks, hats, mittens...
Baby bath, steriliser, change mat, sheepskin, towels, flannels and sponges, cotton wool, baby lotion and oil, baby softwash, Sudocrem, one of those bags that keep the bottles warm, bottles, dummies, the clip things for dummies, a teddy, babywipes, bibs...
For my baby shower I've put on the list:
room thermometer, bath thermometer, bottle warmer, baby hairbrush and nail scissors, muslin squares and a toy to hang on the car seat handle.
I've got the changing bag coming from OH's mum and she's also buying a bouncer for him for christmas, OH's grandma is buying the car seat, best friend is buying a cot mobile, OH is buying a playmat and baby monitors, we've already got stair guards...
I've got Mothercare vouchers coming from a family friend, my maternity grant coming soon and I'm still working sundays at a restaurant which is only 6/6 hours a week but I've been bringing home £40+ in tips each shift.
This must sound so stupid but I love buying for the baby and not having anything to buy is driving me crazy. There's no room for a changing unit, OH's mum has talked about buying some kind of wall plaque, I've been advised that nappies and formula are a bit 'trial and error' so won't be buying those in bulk yet and I've just completely run out of ideas!
I'll be putting money away for things he'll need when he gets a bit older like a highchair and a door bouncer but I want to buy things now! What can I do?? :hissy: I'm a spendaholic but am refusing to spend anything on myself!

Don't buy anything!
Save it for when you really need the money for nappies and baby formula each week, It works out to be quite pricey and your gunna need ALOT of nappies!
Theres no point buying millions of extra things that baby won't need! Save it for when its older :)
Xxx

We're probably going to buy a crib that will convert into a bed, then a full bed as the child grows. That and car seat, and stroller (pram), which I know we'll need. Probably will buy one of those baby backpack things. Anything else I will buy as needed, but those things I know we'll need.

Don't forget Christmas is coming :)

Also when you go on maternity leave you won't be earning any tips so keep saving it up, you'll think of all sorts of thing you could really do with once LO is here, and a lot of things you buy might not even get used.

i went a bit mad buying for my first but after i had her i realised that over half the stuff i bought i did not even use, i got cream n yellow baby clothes and never put her in them as i wanted her in girly clothes, baby bath gave me back ache so i put her in the bath with me! i got a really nice pram that i had to replace with a stroller as over1 got to heavy. i know its nice buying for your little 1 coz im dying to buy things but i would save ur money as ur going to need it when baby is born x

Put it in an education fund and give yourself a goal of 1000 pounds or more to save up. Channel the spendy energy into saver energy. Your baby will be able to appreciate some school funds later in life. It won't remember a single outfit or toy from babyhood.
Or, if that isn't satisfying enough, could you go get a craft kit of some kind (knitting, sewing, scrapbooking?) and channel all that energy into a project that will keep you busy?

I agree with the trust fund idea, nothing wrong with planning for the future.
And maybe you could buy some little keepsakes, like a birth certificate tube, first tooth box, that sort of thing, something you can keep and show him when hes old enough to understand.

You could get a baby carrier (like a wrap or a sling), baby wearing is supposed to have loads of benefits for your baby. I've got a ring sling, an ellaroo wrap and I'm going to get a nice stretchy Moby wrap.

Everyone else has been really sensible with their suggestions - know what you mean about wanting to buy things for LO though, I'm restricting myself to things that are really, really cheap now! x

i like you had everything and more for maddi, and still do :blush: but i definately agree with the sling idea, wished i'd had one for maddi when she was first born, we have one now and would definately recommend it. also i no everyones made excellent suggestions and i agree, save it until your LO really needs something, but i would recommend a jumperoo :blush: x x

Thanks everyone :)
The saving idea's really good, I think I could get into that.
I have loads of cream/yellow clothes too that I just know I probably won't use. I wish there was a fairy who could magic back all the money we wasted! But I'd probably just waste it again...
Going to look at sling type things on the net now x

Thanks everyone :)
The saving idea's really good, I think I could get into that.
I have loads of cream/yellow clothes too that I just know I probably won't use. I wish there was a fairy who could magic back all the money we wasted! But I'd probably just waste it again...
Going to look at sling type things on the net now x

There might be - check out consignment shops in your area. We have one that gives me credits for clothes I bring in which I can then apply to more things for baby from the store. It's a great system and saves you heaps. If you have lots of extra baby things in good condition, you might be surprised how much you could trade/sell them for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->