Stressed to the max...

Stacyluvya

Reaction score
Help!

I have a step-daughter who has really bad teeth. We are very strict with the kids and don't let them have sweets, fizzy juice etc unless it's a special treat. Whereas at home I get the impression it's totally different. Anyway, her top baby teeth are all rotten and black. It's horrible.

We have been waiting for a long time to get her into a special dentist. I took her on Friday and she had some treatment, they also gave her a brush, timer and some toothpaste. She then went home and came back to us on Saturday. I asked if she had done her teeth, she told me no. So missed out Fri night and Sat morning.

Then I had to take her today again to dentist. She got dropped off with us this morning at the dentist. I asked her if she had done them and she hadn't!!!!! This was when we are actually at the dentist.

Is it just me or should Mum be making her do them??? She is 5 so she should know to do them herself but surely Mum should be standing over her??? I am at my wits end with all of this!!! How can someone not make sure their children are clean?

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you xxx

Oh no, that's awful.

Your meant to supervise teeth brushing at her age. It's neglectful to let Not teach her to brush!

Can you speak to her mother?

If her bio-mom is reasonable, I would for SURE mention that you make sure she brushes her teeth twice and day and ask if it's possible for her to do the same there to be consistent. Honestly though- she may not take kindly to it... but at least you could try if you feel she would be open. OR- ask hubby too- that may go over better coming from him.

I'm sorry she is neglecting her child in this way... good teeth are SO important now and the rest of her life. You only get one adult set! Hopefully it's sorted soon. Best of luck.

Can your OH talk to her mom? I think it would be more appropriate for him to say something to her then for you to. Also talk to the step daughter explain to her why its so important to brush her teeth. Maybe if she can understand why its important she can try to do it on her own if her mom won't help her out. Sad that her other mom won't help her though. And she shouldn't have to do it on her own but maybe that is the only way.

This is child neglect. I would report it. This causes pain and suffering in children. My kids see a paediatric dentist, and they are to have an adult brush...twice a day, until age 8 or older! Gosh, I feel for this poor girl. I got a rotten tooth once from a broken braces band on my back molar. It was the worst pain ever. I would call the authorities.

https://dentistry.about.com/b/2009/05/08/tooth-decay-prompts-felony-child-neglect-charge.htm

https://dentistry.about.com/b/2009/02/27/protecting-our-children-deamonte-driver-remembered.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->