Stressful evenings!!

bonbon

Mum to Seb born nov09
Reaction score
Hi All!
I am doing really well with bf after a very rocky start & feel so happy to be exclusively bf now BUT ...... I find the evenings really stressful as lo feeds at 6/7/8-12 and then eventually goes to sleep @ 12 but he gets very agitated whilst feeding from 8-12 .... Pulling @ my nipple, shouting, kicking his legs, sweating, over heating and sometimes vomiting lots! I tried giving him ebm straight from my boob this eve but it still happened andhe is really distressed/hot/shouting now and won't sleep

I dont know what to do?!?!?! I just get stressed out & then he gets worse, until my oh steps in and calms him down !!

Any ideas? Xx

P.s. Even more stressed now as he went to sleep for 1/2 hour kist woke and was routing to feed so I started to bf him and he was choking really bad and it was scarry! Oh is now cuddling him and he has calmed down.
I am so confused & don't know what to so?!

I'm not to sure I can help sorry but when Amelia was very new she would go on a feeding marathon before settling down for the night. I even had to feed her every half hour for about a week. My HV said that it was like her putting in her milk order for the next day. Making sure that she stimulated my supply.

When your baby is choking is it when your milk is flowing fast? If so maybe hand express a little 1st to allow the flow to calm down?

Could he be vomitting because he's got a bit of wind stuck and it's making him uncomfortable? Possibly try unlatching him, bring his wind up and then let him finish his feed.

I hope this helps x

Hi
thanks 4the reply. He gas finally gone to sleep now (1.15am).

I am sure that the choking is due to fast flow so I am trying to combatby feeding off ofonw breast for two consequtive feeds & then expressing off of the otherone just b4 I feed with it. That seems to work in the day but not eve. I expressed 2oz off b4 feeding him 2 night & he still choked?!

I thought the vomit Was due to wind so I feed him with him in my lap sat upright and I wind him regularly throughtout the feed and he winds easily. The volt is usually after he has been distressed/shouting/punching/coming in & off the breast &gwtting rely hot but I don't know why he starts to get like that?!

I finly hot him to sleep 2nite with 2oz of ff which I didn't want yo do but it works everytime!! But I don't want to keep doing it!

So in totally since 6pm he has bf at 6/7/8.30 9.30 & 11 and he had 3oz of ebm and 2oz of ff ..... Is that normal?!

Sorry to ramble on!!!

could it be reflux, maybe ask your hv?:hugs:

Hi

I had this issue - but I found he wasn't really feeding - coming on and off the breast, getting agitated and being generally grumpy. He only actually fed every so often.

I went out and bought a few different types of dummy and tried him with them. I got him to take the avent orthodontic ones - I now feed him more regularly in the eves - every 1.5 - 2 hours but in between I just comfort him in the breastfeeding position and put the dummy in and he suckles on that...I has saved my sanity as I was a whisker away from giving up because I found the eves so stressful.

I hope you find a solution.

xx

Seb might b goin thru a growth spurt, they have one from 6-8 weeks. Tris started at 8 weeks and has only just stopped. I can tell cuz hes fussier, feeds more, has a later bed time, and wakes up every hour during the night. The vomiting cud also b reflux? xx

It could also be that he's not actually sucking for milk but wants to comfort suck. A lot of babies get colic in the evening so tend to need more comfort etcetera.
So when your milk is going through he's overfeeding and thusly bringing it back up. I discovered this was the case for my LO as my OH is able to calm her (if she was hungry he wouldn't be able to) and she is quite happy to suck on my finger instead.

They do tend to feed more frequently in the evening though as they 'stock up' for the night.
Hope you get it figured out soon in a way that is suitable for your family. xxx

Hi
thanks 4 the replies.... I do think that the choking is due to fast let down/over feeding as I have loads of milk and it shoots out!!! But I don't know how to stop it! I have tried expressing a little bit 1st but I litterally have so much milk I would have to express for a little while and he would be screaming hungry!!
I also think that he is sucking 4 comfort sometimes so the last two nights I have feed him from 9-10 as his last feed and then put him in his cot with his mobile on and he settles after about 5-10 mins and then goes to sleep.
I am sure we will get there in the end!!
Thanks again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->