Stressing Now!

zilla

Reaction score
I really wanted a home birth with my son, but we decided against it as he was my first baby. Incidentally, we would not have been able to have stayed at home as when my waters broke, there was meconium in them.

I'm now pregnant with my second and due on the 4th of December.
At my booking appointment, I told my MW that I wanted a home delivery this time around.

When I was around 16 weeks pregnant, I got poorly and tested positive for GBS, which I was told would affect my chances of home birth as you need to have an IV of antibiotics during labour, which isn't possible at home.

Had another swab taken a few weeks ago and it came back clear (apparently the antibiotics I took when ill cleared it up) although I was told I was going to have to wait until my consultant appointment the day before I turn 37 weeks before my home birth can be approved/before my home visit can be scheduled.
Obviously waiting until 37 weeks before having another swab means I'll be 37.5 weeks by the time the results are back - and 38+ weeks by the time my home visit/risk assessment has been done. Leaves it a little late doesn't it!
So I asked for another swab last week. This came back clear again, and my MW was supposed to come out for my home assessment yesterday.
I've also been suffering from anaemia and had an iron infusion a couple of weeks ago.
Yesterday morning, my MW called and cancelled my home visit - saying they can't do it as my iron levels are 9.7 which is a bit risky for home birth and I was going to have to see the consultant before they do the home visit.
So now I'm back in limbo - and having to wait until 36+6 before I have the repeat GBS swab, and probably won't have the home visit until 38 weeks. What am I supposed to do if I do go into labour between 37-38 weeks?
Hate being stuck in limbo, it feels like I'm not going to know what's going on until the last minute.
I even asked my midwife if it was my choice at the end of the day and she said it was (if my iron levels are just low, then I'll go for home birth as home birth gives less chance of haemorrhaging anyway but if GBS was positive then I'd go hospital as it's Los health at risk), but even with me knowing that at the moment my levels are low and GBS is currently negative, they won't do my home visit.
We're also hoping to hire a birth pool if we have home birth, this gets delivered at 37 weeks and needs to be confirmed/paid for (£90) by this Thursday.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't know whether to give up on the whole home birth thing as not knowing a plan for another 2.5 weeks is just going to drive me mad!

Anyone else having issues because of anaemia/GBS?

Keep having tests for strep b wont give you an accurate answer, come the day you go into labour it can go either way still. UK doesnt routinely test for it because of that reason.

I am having home water birth 'against medical advice' due to positive strep b swab at 14. Which i was never even informed was being checked, i was never told until after my 20w appt.

I have done plenty of reading and have declined IV unless certain things were to happen.

I dont know much about iron levels personally but have seen plenty talk on a home birth support group on facebook i use this hasnt stopped women from birthing at home.

38w isnt late for home visit but if you dont go into labour until 41-42w that swab wouldnt give you the correct answer.

Really you need to speak with SoM.

Oh dear, how frustrating! I assume there's no way of bringing your appointment with the consultant forward? I don't have much knowledge when it comes to home birth and the 'rules' around when they are considered safe/unsafe, but I really hope you get the result you want and get your home birth. Keep your legs crossed until 38 weeks huh? :wacko:

Keep having tests for strep b wont give you an accurate answer, come the day you go into labour it can go either way still. UK doesnt routinely test for it because of that reason.

I am having home water birth 'against medical advice' due to positive strep b swab at 14. Which i was never even informed was being checked, i was never told until after my 20w appt.

I have done plenty of reading and have declined IV unless certain things were to happen.

I dont know much about iron levels personally but have seen plenty talk on a home birth support group on facebook i use this hasnt stopped women from birthing at home.

38w isnt late for home visit but if you dont go into labour until 41-42w that swab wouldnt give you the correct answer.

Really you need to speak with SoM.

I'm reluctant to have an IV to be honest, when I had my iron infusion 3 weeks ago they hit a nerve when putting the needle in and my hand is still numb on one side so am pretty sure they've done nerve damage of some sort. Which is another reason why I'm planning a home birth and I'm not really happy about going to hospital!

What birth pool are you having?

Oh dear, how frustrating! I assume there's no way of bringing your appointment with the consultant forward? I don't have much knowledge when it comes to home birth and the 'rules' around when they are considered safe/unsafe, but I really hope you get the result you want and get your home birth. Keep your legs crossed until 38 weeks huh? :wacko:

I don't think there is :( my MW suggested it at my last appointment but never managed to.
Thank you :) & yep, fingers crossed she stays put until I know whats definitely going on! x

I hate hospitals in general is my main reason, my second birth i had terrible care. I had same issue when i was admitted in first tri the doc didnt have a clue and burst my vain in my arm, ive had pain in my right hand since.

I seen consultant at 37w and it went the opposite to what i expected she was happy with my plans.

Ive got a birth in a box i bought mine off ebay.

Dont give up on your plans, ive had to fight hard for this im sure it will be all worth it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->