Stressing over his cough!!

pink.crazy

Mummy to 2 boys!
Reaction score
Leo has started coughing today :( it does seem like only a cough, but he's "wheezing" a lot more, when I say wheezing.. sometimes when he breathes, it kind of whistles, more so when he's on his back.. the consultant said he may have a slightly floppy larynx (sp?), but I've noticed it a lot more today.
He seems well in himself, he's sleeping ok, having wet nappies etc.. but the thing that's at the back of my mind, is my friends LO (29 weeker, 6 months old now) spent 8 days in hospital in January, on oxygen, because of bronchitis and then getting a chest infection, but she said he only had a bit of a cough and not many other symptoms, until he suddenly went downhill! She met a few other prem babies in there too :(
So what I'm wondering is, have your babies had coughs that turned out to be "innocent?"
Obviously I'll read the signs, and keep a close eye, but I can't help but worry what if :(

Andrew has had a cough twice recently, both times towards the end of a cold. I actually gave him a little Tixylix the first time, this second time didn't seem so bad. But other than obvious heavy breathing from the cold, he didn't "wheeze" ...

Andrew is about a year older than Leo though, I don't remember him having a cold or cough over his first winter. Sorry, that's not much help!

Jamie has had 2 coughs, the first one sounded dry and he was wheezing on breathing out, with the second one he sounded really congested and had a lot of mucus to try to bring up, especially in the morning after lying down all night. Both times he didn't have a fever, or seem to be struggling to breathe or be otherwise bothered about it at all, although the second time I was a bit more concerned as he coughed so much he was violently sick a few times. I took him to the doctors both times, they gave us antibiotics just in case but as he seemed fine to just keep an eye on him and take him in to hospital if he deteriorated. I was personally happy to keep him out of hospital if possible!
The second time we were seeing his consultant anyway, who listened to his chest and decided he had already had bronchiolitis and would give him the final palivizumab jab.
His elder brother was a term baby who got bronchiolitis and needed admitting. He was seriously poorly, couldn't feed, being sick all the time and just lying there floppy and unresponsive.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't panic, just keep an eye on him. Be ready to call the docs or the hospital if he becomes worse. Jamie's cough wasn't innocent in that the second time it was bronchiolitis, but that in itself doesn't mean hospital and oxygen etc.

cam has just recovered from rsv but the nurses said that most babys will catch it before they are 2 but only a few needhospital treatment. cam needed help with his feeding and oxygen but thas not always the case. my friends 11month old had it too but was fine at home. if ur worried then go to the docs my dear :hugs: xxx

Oh my god. I have had the same problem with my little one. Took her to clinic and doc said it was a viral infection sitting on her chest. No medication would work- however these last 2 days have gotten worse wheezy when she breathes in and v. Chesty. Although today she started having a snotty nose and NO temperature so I wasn't overly concerned as it does seem more like a cold.
I'm going to keep an eye tonight n 2mrw and then take her to the GP Tuesday to b on da safe side.
Point is it is much worse in terms of wheezy and noisy it kinda worries me. I won't take the risk. I'm gna ask for the swine flu jab aswell for her.
Will let u know how it goes.

Personally I would do a round to the doctor to be safe all it takes is a listen to the chest. Meantym keep an eye on temp alertness nappies etc. X

Aww im heading down this road too :/ Alex is coughing a lot. Not like the cold. She coughs at the slightest things now-a slight bit of smoke from cooking makes her cough and puke up. I went to a seperate room to hairspray my hair but the tail end of it caught her somehow and it happened again. And tonight nothing made her cough, she just coughed til she got carried away and wretched. Otherwise shes fine? I dunno what to do, i know for a fact GP will palm us off

Yeah I don't really "do" GP's, never have, I actually got the courage up (takes a lot because they talk to you like you're stupid and I'm v emotional lately!) to take Tyler on Friday as he's had a swollen gland in his neck for 2 months and he had a badly bloodshot eye "It's normal" to the gland, and "It's fine, maybe conjunctivitis" to the eye. ARRGH anyway I'm off track!
There doesn't seem to be anything on Leo's chest, it isn't rattly when he breathes, when he coughs you can't feel it on his chest so for the moment it seems innocent, he's bright and alert and bloody noisy (he's found his voice!)
I think I just needed some reassurance, as the fact that my friend had no idea it was so serious with her LO freaked me out a bit!!
Thanks ladies :hugs: and I hope all of your LO's are on the mend soon too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->