Struggling with names/people's opinions on names

Shanny128

Reaction score
We're pretty much set on the boys name of Freddie. All the younger members of our family seem to like it but the older members such as my mum and his dad have a lot to say, expressing how much they don't like it. wondering if anyone else has any experience of this and how to deal with it?

Also struggling to agree on a girls name, my boyfriend loves the name Lillie but I just don't know if it's special enough. Thoughts anyone?

Personally, I would prefer "Freddie" as a nickname but not stand alone. Lilie is hugely popular where I come from so wouldn't go for it but it is very pretty!

It's a gorgeous name but same with my area and I don't want her (if she is a her) to be one of 4 or 5 in her class. I do like more uncommon names for girls but he likes pretty popular names such as Lillie and Sophia. He has suggested Alix for a girl which I do like but I don't think it's a very pretty name for a baby girl.

I think Freddie is a total marmite name which I don't actually mind, as long as we both love it!

I had this a LOT with my first. Tbh I buckled and just chose other names.
This time around, once we've settled on a name no-one will be getting to know until after baby is born. I've outright told people this and the reasons why (I think my words were, "you were arseholes about my name choices last time around so you don't get to know")

People are generally a lot less negative about baby names once baby is there.

I had this a LOT with my first. Tbh I buckled and just chose other names.
This time around, once we've settled on a name no-one will be getting to know until after baby is born. I've outright told people this and the reasons why (I think my words were, "you were arseholes about my name choices last time around so you don't get to know")

People are generally a lot less negative about baby names once baby is there.

We've started telling people we're just gonna decide when we see him/her. A few people have also decided to start telling us everything they associate with the boys name we've chosen like Freddie flintoff, Freddie mercury. My boyfriend basically told his dad to piss off at the weekend though when he said he wasn't gonna be shouting Freddie in a park. A few people have said to us that when they baby's born and we give them their name that people won't see them as anything else anyway.

It amazes me that people are so rude about name choices. I know a gorgeous little boy named Freddie (he's actually Alfred but always Freddie) and I think it's a super name. Why do people think they should have any say in what you name your children? Especially if it's grandparents - they've had their chance to name kids, now back off!

It amazes me that people are so rude about name choices. I know a gorgeous little boy named Freddie (he's actually Alfred but always Freddie) and I think it's a super name. Why do people think they should have any say in what you name your children? Especially if i4t's grandparents - they've had their chance to name kids, now back off!

Oh this made my day! I totally agree, best to keep names secret until baby arrives. Others loooove to give their opinion and pull faces bit once the baby is here it's no choice for an open discussion. We won't be sharing our name choice to anyone it'll be our little secret. Apart from on here cos that's just good fun! I'd like to see how popular it is but also if anyone thinks it's daft. Don't mind for stranger's behind a screen but family and friends can keep it buttoned!

Freddie is on our list too and my god i know what you mean about family. We have been told that they dont like hannah dont like jax if i use matilda they will call it tillie. I had it the first time around aswel we called our first born Sienna and i was told it was too modern, it was made up etc. families unfortunately love to voice their opinions. It's impossible to please everyone so focus on your own ideas and they will hopefully be quiet once its born. Freddie is lovely x

Freddie is on our list too and my god i know what you mean about family. We have been told that they dont like hannah dont like jax if i use matilda they will call it tillie. I had it the first time around aswel we called our first born Sienna and i was told it was too modern, it was made up etc. families unfortunately love to voice their opinions. It's impossible to please everyone so focus on your own ideas and they will hopefully be quiet once its born. Freddie is lovely x

We found out the other day we're having a little girl! So no freddie drama for the the time being but I'm certain we would use it in the future x

We found out the other day we're having a little girl! So no freddie drama for the the time being but I'm certain we would use it in the future x

I've got a freddie ive never had any bad vibes with people about his name! Even when I was pregnant and I suggested it people always said it was nice. I don't see how someone would not want to call out Freddie in a park? It's not exactly like 'Rex' or anything is it! And also I don't get why Freddie flintoff or Freddie mercury means it's a bad name - there will always be people in the world with the same name, lol! Just go with your instinct and use what you like. (I know you're having a girl but the same applies!)

I've got a freddie ive never had any bad vibes with people about his name! Even when I was pregnant and I suggested it people always said it was nice. I don't see how someone would not want to call out Freddie in a park? It's not exactly like 'Rex' or anything is it! And also I don't get why Freddie flintoff or Freddie mercury means it's a bad name - there will always be people in the world with the same name, lol! Just go with your instinct and use what you like. (I know you're having a girl but the same applies!)

My partners dad comes from a family where all the males are either called harry, Malcolm, Calum or Duncan. All great names but not to my taste! I love the name and look forward to hopefully having a little Freddie in the future ☺️ And thank you!

Congrats on the girl!

Someone will always have an opinion. It goes away once the baby arrives. My OHs mum told us she would refuse to call dd1 Mia as it was silly. She would use her 'proper' name Amelia whether we liked it or not. My grandma also told me it would be cruel to name ds Oliver! We ignored them and neither issue was ever mentioned again. They love their names now.

Love all your names personally. Maybe Alexa would be nice? Similar to Alix but a bit softer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->