• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Struggling with weaning

MrsT&Ben

Reaction score
My daughter doesn't like food. I try at all different times of day and the majority of the time she just blows raspberries and spits the food out. I've tried loads of different things but she's not having it. She loves her milk and seems to be doing fine on it. How strict should I be with the 3 meals and snacks by 9 months thing?? We just about manage some fruit or a yogurt a day and she's 8 months..... :wacko:
I do a mixture of blw and tw.

What 3meals and snacks by 9 months thing?

By somewhere around 9months, babies start to need food in addition to milk (rather than it just being about exploring) but milk is still really important and if you put snacks in the mix you may have limited opportunities for milk. I introduced snacks only when my LO was to busy to want to stop and breastfeed (a chunk of cheese or a cracker could be carried in one hand while still playing!) so about 1yr. At 9 months I started being more regular in offering breakfast and lunch but we didn't do supper till she was gone 10months. This was a child who took to food straight away too....

I've read on several websites that this is the norm. Now normally I'm pretty laid back as she is my second but im seriously struggling with weaning. She just isn't interested!

That sounds perfectly fine to me. At 8 months, they should be starting to move in the direction of finger foods and self-feeding anyway, so what if you just gave her some foods to play with and sat back and didn't worry if she ate anything? There really is no rule about when they should be eating such and such amount of food. It's all about exploration, at least until a year, and even then there's a lot of variation and flexibility into the toddler years. At 8 months, we had just started to really do 3 meals a day every day, but we did BLW so the amount she actually ate really varied. At around 9 ish months, she hit about 4 weeks when she was fairly unwell with bronchiolitis, and she had no real interest in most food. She pretty much ate only yogurt and fruit for a month. No big deal. At 10 months, she went back to eating everything and the amount of food she was eating really picked up. We didn't add in snacks until maybe about 10/11 months, when we added in an afternoon snack along with a small amount of milk still. She wasn't having 3 meals and 2 snacks until probably 13-14 months, which I think is pretty normal for many babies. I would say try not to worry about it at this point. Offer lots of different things, start offering her the chance to feed herself too, and trying finger foods, and pretty much just sit back and let it happen. It will. And as long as she's still getting plenty of milk when she wants it, she'll be getting all she needs nutritionally until she's ready to eat more food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->