Stuck in Bed for Months

Renae93

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to my 2nd Trimester. I am almost 15wks today, but my morning sickness has been very consistent since week 5. I feel like I have tried absolutely everything. Diclectin 4x a day, Vitamin B6, Preggie Pops, Gatorade, ginger, lemon juice, everything I can think of!!!

But I have pretty much been stuck in bed since week 5. I get out of bed to throw up many times a day, but can't get out into the rest of the house as it makes me throw up more. I swear there is a smell in my house, and to make it worse, I have not been able to clean my house since before pregnancy. It looks like a tornado literally swept through my house. Constipation makes my MS so much worse, but my hubby doesn't cook so I have been eating microwave meals and granola bars for a long time, and Lax-a-day (dr prescribed) every once in a while.

My mom said her MS with my sister and I didn't calm down till 24wks. I have dropped into a complete depression, crying every day. I have actually debated about moving into a hotel, as I have spent $100s on candles and scent plug ins so I could go to the living room to watch a movie with my hubby. Still hasn't happened, I end up throwing up the whole time no matter what.

How do I get out of this rut???? Have I run out of options and am now on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy? It's my first baby and my DR hasn't been informative at all.

Sounds like may be time to have a consult with another dr. Have they offered any anti nausea meds to you?

Sounds like may be time to have a consult with another dr. Have they offered any anti nausea meds to you?

Yes, he prescribed Diclectin the first week I went to see him (wk 5), and I had to use that every day since and it helped a little bit. But about 3 weeks ago it suddenly started making my sickness worse, and I kept trying to use it, but I couldn't handle it anymore so had to quit.

Yes, he prescribed Diclectin the first week I went to see him (wk 5), and I had to use that every day since and it helped a little bit. But about 3 weeks ago it suddenly started making my sickness worse, and I kept trying to use it, but I couldn't handle it anymore so had to quit.

I think I would ask for another option! sorry things are so tough :(

Oh no, that sounds absolutely miserable. I had terrible nausea up until week 14, when it finally started to clear. I had the constipation too which does make it worse. By that point I was tearful and had had enough. So I really understand how horrid it is - and it sounds like you have a more extreme case than me.

Is there a way you can spend a bit of money ordering in some nourishing soups and broths, or asking someone to come and help prepare some good food for you? Microwave meals are okay for a stop-gap but they may not be helping with the nausea or constipation. Do you have a blender to make smoothies, if you could stomach those? Liquid-y foods help with the constipation. Prunes help me a lot. Can you put lavender or citrus oil onto a handkerchief to breathe into when you move around the house or watch a movie? Is there a way to get a little bit of fresh air each day, even if it's a short walk up the street or sitting outside sipping on some mint tea or hot water?

And definitely talk to your doctor again. The MS should be easing soon but it's very hard to believe that when you're in the thick of it. Tell them that your mum had it til 24 weeks and ask how you're supposed to get through til then. Their goal needs to be to help you get to a point where you feel okay and able to enjoy some of your pregnancy. Keep us updated on how you're getting on....

ps. can your husband do a clean of the house while you're unable to? Or is it possible to pay a cleaner to come for a one-off?

Oh no, that sounds absolutely miserable. I had terrible nausea up until week 14, when it finally started to clear. I had the constipation too which does make it worse. By that point I was tearful and had had enough. So I really understand how horrid it is - and it sounds like you have a more extreme case than me.

Is there a way you can spend a bit of money ordering in some nourishing soups and broths, or asking someone to come and help prepare some good food for you? Microwave meals are okay for a stop-gap but they may not be helping with the nausea or constipation. Do you have a blender to make smoothies, if you could stomach those? Liquid-y foods help with the constipation. Prunes help me a lot. Can you put lavender or citrus oil onto a handkerchief to breathe into when you move around the house or watch a movie? Is there a way to get a little bit of fresh air each day, even if it's a short walk up the street or sitting outside sipping on some mint tea or hot water?

And definitely talk to your doctor again. The MS should be easing soon but it's very hard to believe that when you're in the thick of it. Tell them that your mum had it til 24 weeks and ask how you're supposed to get through til then. Their goal needs to be to help you get to a point where you feel okay and able to enjoy some of your pregnancy. Keep us updated on how you're getting on....

Thank you so much, this is all very helpful, I will try this all! And the handkerchief idea is very smart, I carried around a little bottle of lemon juice for a while but that got tiring haha!

My hubby has helped to the best of his ability but he is having trouble keeping up with the cleaning as well as his busy work schedule (lol and his cleaning ideas are a bit different than mine...). I feel horrible asking him for more help :( I know the whole "he's carrying this baby too" saying, but I feel that my MS has caused me to be way more high maintenance than he is able to deal with. I keep reminding myself it's only temporary though!!!

you poor thing!!!! i haven't had this but it really seems like you need another doctor... a doctor that really listens to you and has different ideas to try when you are having a major problem, like the MS. i hope it eases up for you!!! sending comforting vibes your way. hang in there!

That sounds awful, so sorry.
Unfortunately hundreds of dollars on candles Is just a waste of money. The candle wax itself will just put more chemicals and soot in the air, so if it is an air quality issue this is the worst thing. See if you can boil some water with cinnamon and lemon to refresh the air, hire or ask someone to help clean up. Get friends or family to drop off a few premade meals. Even Frozen home made ones are way better than the ones from the grocery store, Unfortunately some women have really bad sickness throughout, so just understand that you aren't going to be At top speed and it is ok. It isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Just ask for help.

ive had the same experience, but I'm coming out of it at 12 weeks.

What was your medication regime when you were taking it?

What was helpful for me was:
5am - 50mg gravol
6am - 2 diclectin
7am - 75mg Zantac
11am - 50mg gravol
12 noon - 2 diclectin
5pm - 50mg gravol
6pm - 2 diclectin
7pm - 75mg Zantac
11pm - 50mg gravol
12midnight - 2 diclectin

Set alarms on your phone and don't miss a dose.

If you have family ask them to come clean your house for you, or get your husband or cleaners in. I switched my daughters bathtime soap because it made me sick. I asked people not to wear perfume. I switched detergents too. My bathrooms still have a smell that make me sick even though I'm only throwing up about once a day or every few days now. I was off work on medical leave and will be going back soon.

I hope it eases up in the next few weeks Hun xx. Truly the hardest part of pregnancy for some of us!

I had really bad morning sickness also, it was so bad that I was taking diclectin 5 times a day. I'm 32 weeks now and only take 1 a day sometimes 2 but if I miss it I'll be sick for the whole day. Hopefully it gets better for you.

I think it may be time for you to get on some stronger meds. I had HG with my third pregnancy, so bad that I couldn’t Even shower. I threw up 10-12 times a day and ended up dehydrated and in hospital for 4 days. When I was admitted to the hospital they really managed my nausea. I was put on diclectin, maxeran and Zofran! With this combo and being followed by a dietician I slowely was able to function. It was the worst time ever. I stayed in bed for an entire 3 months. My severe nausea ended abruptly when I turned 13 weeks and was totally fine for the rest of the pregnancy. I hope you feel better soon, 15 weeks is too long to be feeling that awful. I would really get on your dr’s case or get another opinion you need a different antiemetic such as possibly zofran. Clearly diclectin isn’t working,hope you find relief!! Xx

Thank you all <3 Will definitely try all your suggestions!

I second the zofran it&#8217;s expensive and it is not ideal while pregnant but it sounds to me like you have hyperemesis not just plain old morning sickness this is my fourth pregnancy of having hyperemesis but I have been lucky this time at 18 weeks it has almost gone where as the others it went in the beginning of third tri then came back at the end. I suffered through with my other pregnancies but with having the 3 and having it it has been much harder this time so I took the zofran and it stopped the vomiting and takes away almost all the nausea it truely is amazing stuff!
I hope you get some relief soon hun and definitely try and work out a way of getting better food into you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->