• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Study on FF v BF

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
https://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_fact...breast_over_bottle_have_been_exaggerated.html

Just a link on an article regarding FF V BF. - I haven't looked at the actual study to see if it was carried out correctly so honestly couldn't say if it actually provides any real scientific proof but thought it was a bit interesting. And may help those suffering guilt from not being able to BF a bit of comfort.

Always thought it would be interesting to see in the future if any noticeable difference between my kids. One who was FF, mostly crib slept for the first 6 months, always in a buggy and spent a lot of time with my parents. Compared with Doug who so far been EBF, soley bed shared, baby worn and not spent much tim away from me. - or maybe they will just have different personalities like the individuals they are and none of the stuff ive done will really matter as I loved them same.

Interesting. I've often wondered the same points they made. My eldest brother was formula fed while me and my middle brother were breastfed. My eldest is a genius on the IQ scale while me and my other brother are high but not genius. We all three have different allergies but my Parents both have allergies too.

Breast is best but perhaps not the be-all and end-all. A lot of factors are more genetic than feeding related and that makes sense to me. Perhaps my eldest brothers IQ would have been even higher if he was breastfed. Who knows.

Unfortunately I think this "study" is rather flawed. it cites very little that's actually scientific and only drops in a couple of names! It makes no mention of other significant longer term health benefits such as a reduction in rates of various diseases. It sounds strongly like the writer's own opinion slightly dressed up with a few examples. I think it's nice you're trying to lessen the guilt that some FFing mummies might feel, but I think this is just going to turn into another BF vs FF arguement. I wish we could just accept other people's choices without knocking the other alternative - I'm not saying this is what you're doing OP, I'm just talking in general at how a BF/FF thread tends to turn.

I read about this the other day and was suprised it hadnt come up on here yet. If you read the actual study not just that article it was actually carried out well. You can also read about it on the nhs website which also says the study was carried out correctly and the results are acurate etc. However I think that article has kind of chosen the bits it wanted rather than giving both sides. The actual study still recomended bf as the preferred method of feeding and didnt dispute any of the health benifits of bf, it was more the supposed social benifits such as performing better at school etc. The study found it was more likely down to social and economic factors rather than bf v ff.

You're right I was focusing on the article rather than the actual study and with my early morning brain I didn't phrase myself well. I meant the article had picked out very few of the major benefits attributed to BFing, and had failed to mention any longer term health benefits past 14 years. Interesting the nhs picked it up and verified the study, I'm going to have to look into it more as to the socio-effects.

I have never seen a formula article like the ones posted to knock breastfeeding here. Just saying...

I EBF, but to be honest I've never liked the talk of the social/intelligence/happiness etc benefits of breastfeeding. There are so many more important things that will shape how a child does at school, how happy and secure they are, whether they have ADHD etc. Mothers really don't need that extra guilt. I think the statistic that 70-80% of mothers (in the UK) start breastfeeding, but this drops rapidly within the first six weeks to something like 40%, and carries on falling as the baby gets older, speaks volumes. Most mothers want to breastfeed but for various reasons alot don't feel they can carry on. They really don't need any extra guilt piling on them - they need more support to carry on if they wish. And if they don't, it doesn't mean they love their baby any less or are in any way a bad mother. The physical health benefits cannot be ignored, but I'd question how any other benefits can possibly be proven because those things are so complex. And just because a baby is formula fed, doesn't mean the child isn't raised in a 'natural, gentle' way - they can still co-sleep, babywear, no CIO etc, and I think those things (although I don't want to start an attachment parenting debate, and you don't have to do those things to end up with a happy content baby) will have more of an effect.

As said i never read the study and even if I did i am not scientifically minded enough to know if it credible or not, and last thing I would want was for another ff v bf debate as to be frank we have enough of those on here. just honestly thought it might provide a bit of comfort to those ladies who felt guilt as were unable to BF .

I dont know why you think it wouldnt cause a war when these words are in the article

" Hopefully this study will give women who can’t or don’t want to breast-feed for whatever reason more ammunition to tell the breast-is-best purists to piss off."

Combative! not helpful to any one. Also fed up with the bf vs ff wars. So its not ok when its turned on breastfeeding either and as I said I never seen damning formula feeding links here. If there was there would really be war. Double standards.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/...ress-and-increased-risk-of-later-disease.html

https://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=10686

As a mother who wanted to bf but couldn't, thanks.
I know bf mums will probably get defensive over it and take it the wrong way and this will probably end up closed because of it, but I appreciate why you posted it :)
Sometimes people can't bf even though they want to, that's not a 'choice' and I think that should be respected too so thanks again op :) x

tbh i didnt see that line...so see where your coming from. apologies as was not my intent.

I dont want to attack you but its popped up a few times in this forum and its always the same breastfeeding bashing links. It should not be acceptable. Its not ok to bash formula.

tbh i didnt see that line...so see where your coming from. apologies as was not my intent.

Neither did I actually! Must not have jumped out at me like I can see it would for someone who breast feeds x

what do you mean jumped out, I assume you read the article all of it when you posted it? dont people read what they post?

I didn't post it fyi.
And actually I pretty much scan read it from the post so missed that line with it being the last one. Pardon me lol!

Dragonfly - I can see how that line would upset you but I don't think anyone here is saying that. Perhaps the link should've been direct to the study results rather than a blog but, as OP has said, she didn't see that comment. Also the rest of the blog does state breast is best still, and the research also states it's better for health benefits. It doesn't at any point say formula is better than breast as we all know this is not the case.

I know from a previous post of yours that you have a rough time of it breastfeeding where you live and that people constantly judge you so I understand where you're coming from. It's horrible to be judged for the way you feed, either BF or FF.

The article was badly chosen, the sentiment is the same. I don't think the op purposefully posted an antagonistic article, and mis read that part, maybe replace it with The Time or Mail versions to keep this thread balanced. :flower:

To make it clear i don't think the OP realized either. Its just something I noticed about this forum especially. You cant say peep about formula but you can about breastfeeding. Not that I think formula should get this sort of attention either. I am just tired of breastfeeding getting all the bad attention in the media too. I cant even post something on breastfeeding on my facebook page without people getting offended. I should unfollow this thread really. Nothing personal to any one in it. Just a tad fed up.

I also think OP posted this with the best intentions, just unfortunately these threads always seem to turn regardless.

I also think OP posted this with the best intentions, just unfortunately these threads always seem to turn regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->