• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Study on FF v BF

Wow. Aren't you a delight? Why come to a support forum if you're not able to empathise and actually be supportive? I agree that people need to take more responsibility for their own emotions but that last bit was just bitchy tbh. People found comfort in it, what right do you have to put a downer on that? None whatsoever.

Admin - Would you mind closing this please.

Sorry guys honestly wasn't an intention to bring up negative thoughts about any method of feeding. As long as the kid loved then that all that matters.

People are missing the point. It was a bad choice of article, yes, the point the op was making was new research has shown that the obesity, ADHD etc. seems to have been exaggerated in bf vs ff babies, regardless on who is reporting it. Looking here says the same thing, maybe the op should have posted directly to the study.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...milk-INCREASES-risk-asthma-expert-claims.html

https://healthland.time.com/2014/02...difference-between-breast-and-bottle-feeding/

This press release cites the references. The research is analysing data from a large study in 1979

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-02/osu-bba022514.php

May I also add I don't give a rats bum how anyone feeds their baby, all I am trying to say is this wasn't meant to be a bf bashing thread, and the bad phrase in the ops article has turned it into that. If one of the above was posted, I'm not sure we would be in this place?

For anyone actually interested in the study itself, I'm posting links because I dont' think I'll have time to respond before it gets closed:
https://evolutionaryparenting.com/is-breast-really-best-the-debate-doesnt-end-here/

https://mammalssuck.blogspot.com/2014/03/manufactured-mommy-wars-le-sigh.html

I think it's most notable that the researchers chose to look at outcomes for which previous studies found the most tenuous links, rather than a fuller spectrum of outcomes even though the data was available through the cohort.
I've also said it before and I'll say it again that it's completely unethical in my mind to define 12 weeks breastfeeding duration or combi-feeding as "breastfeeding" in these studies. Because that kind of mixed treatment being herded into a defined treatment group would never be allowed in the vast majority of other fields. But then, I have issues with most breastfeeding research, even the ones with outcomes favoring bf.

Sorry guys honestly wasn't an intention to bring up negative thoughts about any method of feeding. As long as the kid loved then that all that matters.

I really didn't like the closing sentence because I think both sides get as much of a tough time as each other (especially in regards to feeding in public), but I somewhat agree with the sentiment. When people bring in exaggerated statements about IQ points and the like to a feeding debate, I always roll my eyes a little. Will need to look at the study in more detail.

Thank you both for those links, I'll be having a nosy at them :thumbup:

I don't really think the article itself is the OP's fault. Most of the press releases I've seen are anything but simple reporting of the paper. I blame journals. It sucks that it's illegal for those of us with access to post the original paper here and that most people would have to pay for access.

Sometimes with a clever google search you can find the paper. It's just I don't know the name of the article, only the journal name.

It was a good debate till people ruined it with insults and sarcasm

"Is Breast Truly Best? Estimating the Effects of Breastfeeding on Long-term Child Health and Wellbeing in the United States Using Sibling Comparisons" Cynthia G. Colen, David M. Ramey

And if anyone lives near a university, sometimes you can connect to their internet as a visitor and sciencedirect or springerlink will recognize you as having rights to access through the university, if anyone is really wanting to go the distance to get the article without paying.

"Is Breast Truly Best? Estimating the Effects of Breastfeeding on Long-term Child Health and Wellbeing in the United States Using Sibling Comparisons" Cynthia G. Colen, David M. Ramey

Thanks :). I did a cursory search and I just think it's too new...would love to still have my uni subscription and read it!

I really didn't like the closing sentence because I think both sides get as much of a tough time as each other (especially in regards to feeding in public), but I somewhat agree with the sentiment. When people bring in exaggerated statements about IQ points and the like to a feeding debate, I always roll my eyes a little. Will need to look at the study in more detail.

lol, I started writing you a mean post, because I thought "closing sentence" was referring to "As long as the kid loved then that all that matters." and that didn't make any sense to me to jump on her for random IQ stuff. God my baby brain is really bad at times. Sorry for the mean post I started to write but didn't submit. :blush:

lol, I started writing you a mean post, because I thought "closing sentence" was referring to "As long as the kid loved then that all that matters." and that didn't make any sense to me to jump on her for random IQ stuff. God my baby brain is really bad at times. Sorry for the mean post I started to write but didn't submit. :blush:

I did that too.... hahaha!

There is one thing I have just read, and unsure whether we should draw conclusion (but just my critical mind ;)), the author works a few miles from Similac HQ. Now it could just be that the area is an area in the country that is used for science purposes (just like most IT companies are San Francisco area), so it's may or may not be significant. It would be interesting to find out who it was funded by.

Thanks :). I did a cursory search and I just think it's too new...would love to still have my uni subscription and read it!

Yeah, within the last month. I really don't know what I'm going to do if we ever lose university log ins and can't read whatever we want. I'm hoping some poor blogger out there with access accidentally illegally posts a pdf document so that googlers can get lucky. I'm completely disillusioned with the whole restricted access journal system.

You're very daring to suggest drawing a conclusion ;) :haha: I'd LOVE to come across a really strong and fair article but they're always flawed in one way or another.

There is one thing I have just read, and unsure whether we should draw conclusion (but just my critical mind ;)), the author works a few miles from Similac HQ. Now it could just be that the area is an area in the country that is used for science purposes (just like most IT companies are San Francisco area), so it's may or may not be significant. It would be interesting to find out who it was funded by.

She's at Ohio State, can't really help that where she works happens to be near an industry triangle. The work was fully funded by NIH, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development awarded to the Ohio State University Institute for Population Research.
ETA: That's not to say that NIH funds all her research. OSU doesn't require public full disclosure statements about what funding was provided to who and when (but most universities don't). It would be really unusual for a formula company to provide any funding to a university sociologist, though, so not very likely.

@noodlebear This is always my problem. Since studying at Masters Level, everything and I mean everything can be picked apart depending on how much detail you want to extract and which argument you want to support.

@mummyjogger thank you for that, I thought the industry triangle would probably be the case, but just didn't know enough about US industry to know exactly where it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->