Stupid question about c-sections

TMonster

Reaction score
So, I know with epidurals there are tons of stories about them not working or not working well like a certain part of you doesn't get numb etc.

Since a c-section, from my understanding, is drugs injected into the same area, is it possible to not be completely numb during a c-section?

I mean what do they do if you are having an emergency c-section and you still feel an area of pain? Would they give you general anesthesia? Does this ever happen?

For some reason now I am thoroughly freaked out by this even though I am not planning on having a section. I have had issues at the dental office and getting a root canal and not being completely numb due to the way my nerves are in the area and that was really horrible so the thought of something like that happening is really disturbing to me.

Not a stupid question, I was wondering the same thing!

I think for a c-section they generally do a spinal block, not an epidural. I know if you already have the epidural in place they can use the epi instead of the spinal block, but they would use a spinal block in the case of a planned c-section. I think the spinal block is placed up slightly higher than the epi. They double/triple check to make sure you are numbed up before they start!

I have known women who have had to go under general anesthesia only in super emergency circumstances, when there is no opportunity to numb you up. Like a majorly distressed baby, or a mom on the verge of a seizure from pre-e.

I had a spinal block for my cs which is injected and I think they do them under epidural too! After the got my lo out I could feel them sewing me up. Not like pain I could just feel the movements so they knocked me out I can't remember how. It wasn't scary or painful I just came around in recovery I think. I'll have to ask my oh what happened!

I wouldn't worry tho they know what they're doing xxx

I had an emergency c-section the last time around and it took a while for the spinal block to numb my entire lower body. They checked multiple times by poking me with a needle (I think) to see if I could feel anything. If I was able to feel ANYTHING by the time they were ready to go I would have been put under, but luckily, it took full effect.

The only thing I could feel during the surgery was minor tugging, which is normal.

With a planned c section you have a spinal block .With an epidural the medication is put out side the fluid that surrounds your spinal cord and a spinal block puts the medication inside the fluid aroun your spinal cord

Also with an epidural you still have some feeling but a spinal should numb you completely so you won't feel anything

I had a spinal block in both c sections and they do test before beginning to make sure it's worked. I'm not sure what these tests are as I can never feel them as they do them lol . In my case I feel my lower body getting heavy and numb and you can just tell it's worked x not a silly question tho at all

With a planned c section you have a spinal block .With an epidural the medication is put out side the fluid that surrounds your spinal cord and a spinal block puts the medication inside the fluid aroun your spinal cord

Also with an epidural you still have some feeling but a spinal should numb you completely so you won't feel anything

Mine wasn't planned and I had a spinal block.

I've had three spinal anaesthetics (spinal blocks) for putting in and removing cervical stitches. They completely numb you up from waist down and they checked mine by spraying an ice cold spray on your skin and asking when you can feel it. They won't take a cut if you can still feel anything.

In the rare case that it doesn't work or you they will do a general, which is why you're nil by mouth if you're having a spinal, just in case they have to do a general.

My c-section with the twins was under general because I had an unidentified infection and they couldn't risk the possibility of injecting it into my spine. But that was in an extreme life or death situation. They will do everything they can to avoid that happening.

You have a spinal block for mine, I don't think they do them under epidural. I could feel something but it was by no means painful. I think they described what you might feel as someone doing washing up in your tummy :haha: I won't say I felt that much but slight tugging that's it. Not uncomfortable at all.

ETA They ran an ice cube up my body from toe to above my breasts. I only felt it above my breasts, soon as I felt it they stopped.

I have heard stories of women with epidurals who could feel sensations, but I've never heard of someone with a spinal block feeling anything.

Sweety do not worry at all I had an emergency c section at 8 cm dil they already gave me an epidural around 6 cm dil, they keep spraying you with a very ice cold spray to see if you are numb it's fantastic you can't feel a thing, then when I went through to theatre they sprayed me again to be honest all I was thinking about was meeting my beautiful baby girl very exciting moment as you know your not in any pain at all as extremely numb and soon will be holding your angel, don't worry everything will be rosy xxx

Here if your epidural has stopped working and you need an unplanned section they put you under GA. Probably depends on the hospital?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->