subchorionic haematoma? please explain?

twin mum 27

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

I am 7+6. Had my dating scan recently at 7+2. Baby looked lovely for dates and had a lovely heartbeat, but the sonographer showed me a black spot and said it was a haematoma and very common so not to worry (its not under placenta or anything).
So got my report today and it says "a small subchorionic haematoma is seen measuring 1.2x.4x2.8 cm"

My doctor read the report and said "everything looks lovely" and i forgot to ask about the haematoma.. can someone please explain is this dangerous? Will it cause me to miscarry? I havent had any bleeding.. will i bleed?

The baby was 1.1cm so the haematoma sounds huge in comparison and its scaring me :(

Thanks ladies

The haematoma is just a collection of old blood. At some point you bleed a little and instead of the blood passing, it collected inside to form a haematoma. One of 2 things will happen now. Either it will break down and pass vaginally - this would appear as brownish blood (old). (Bright red blood indicates a new bleed and would need checking out).

Or, the body will just absorb it. This can happen quickly out take weeks.

I've had haematomas in both my pregnancies and neither has caused any issues. One was large (8cm by 6cm by something). A follow up scan showed it had been absorbed.

Some people get a bit panicky about schs but from the research I've done, it seems statistically it doesn't increase the chance of miscarriage.

I had one, it was completely harmless - most are :) I had on & off bleeding from mine throughout the first trimester, then it just stopped & went away. Always get any bleeding checked out, I felt like I lived at the EPAU! But I was always reassured after going in. Like the PP said, it can be absorbed into your body, or it can come out - neither of which increase your risk of miscarriage. xx

Thanks ladies. Seeing as tho the u/s tech and my GP both brushed over it, i think that means its in an ok place etc. See my obstetrician for the first time next week so ill ask her then as she likes to do another scan at first appt

Thank you for these posts! I had a largeish set of SCHs - 9 cm by something and a bigger bleed two weeks ago. Since then I've had brown blood, but am still worried. Thanks for the reassurance!

Penelope I had a large bleed like yours too starting at week 9 and it didn't really stop fully until I reached week 17. It wasn't bright red blood that continued to come out but brown old blood, enough to have to wear a pad. But here I am now at 39 weeks and everything it ok :) make sure they confirm at the 20 week scan that the SCHs have gone away for peace of mind. In between that time I did sneak in a private scan for reassurance too! Good luck

Thought i would update incase someone looks for answers later on..

So my haematoma ended up being reabsorbed. I mever had a single spot of bleeding and it didnt cause any issues at all :)

I have this too but was not told whether I should refrain from sex. Any suggestions?

I think pelvic rest (no sex) is pretty common advice. Couldn't hurt (if you and your partner can manage it!).

Thanks for the pep talk, Willow! I have another scan next Tuesday and am really hoping it is getting better. Still bleeding brown blood, but not a lot (pantyliner, not pad worthy).

thanks for this, I went in last night at 6 weeks due to bad cramping that wouldn't go away and found the sch as well. I'm beyond scared to lose this baby. it was our surprise baby as my son is only 9 months old and I just started coming to terms of having another one, now I may lose it. my hcg level was 52,364 I believe and he said baby looked good so far and that it may or may not be reabsorbed into the body. I was put on pelvic rest but didn't say how long. so I guess just until it goes away to play it safe

I went to the ER last night because I had bright red blood that looked like a period. They told me it was a subchorionic hematoma. I'm also on pelvic rest and still cramping, and the blood has turned from red to brown. I still have cramping so I hope it doesn't get worse and my babies are okay. :(

Ladies, I'm sorry you're dealing with the stress of an SCH. It is scary, but really try not to worry. Chances are, everything will be alright. When I had one, I found this article very reassuring: https://www.obgynnews.com/home/arti...ematoma/a0ee81fab6bef4e34d68d815eadc9cda.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->