"Suboptimal" nasal bone @ 12 wks..HELP:(!

mamaWellen2b

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and after much googling (ugh), have found myself really in need of asking the opinions and advice of women who have been through this or can share a story...I am pg with fraternal twins via a clomid & TI cycle. We had our first trimester screening at 12 weeks exactly yesterday. My bloodwork came back great and both babies NT measured at 1.00 mm or right under, which I was really happy about! However, in baby B, the sonographer/dr. said that he could not factor in the nasal bone in the risk assessment because it was "suboptimal" or not compeltely ossified. He explained what that meant and seemed TOTALLY not worried about it, considering the positivity of the bloodwork and the NT scan, and my husband thinks I'm crazy, but I'm freaking out about this baby's "suboptimal" nasal bone. Right now without taking the nasal bone into consideration, my risk for DS is 1 > 10,000 for both. Is is possible that the nasal bone for this baby just wasn't toally developed yet? I'm worried because it's twin's was....also, how much does the nasal bone affect/factor into the risk of DS? I read something that said only 1-2% of normal babies don't have a fully structured nasal bone by week 12 and it freaked me out:nope: My doctor said to come back at 16 weeks, but that is 4 weeks from now and I'm really worried. I'd get a CVS but I don't think it's good when you have twins. My doctor wasn't worried, so should I be?! i'm afraid he just didn't want to tell me something, but I keep trying to think about the great NT scan and the good bloodwork and how I think those all work in conjuction with the nasal bone?? Ahhh, someone help me calm down please!!

I can totally understand how worried you must feel. However, try to remember that a nasal bone is considered a "soft" marker for DS, and that with the bloodwork and NT measurement, the likelihood is extremely high that both babies are perfect. If there are other worrying markers in 4 weeks, then you can have an amnio, which works fine with twins, and can give you a 100% answer. I know it's hard, but try to hang in there. If the doctor wasn't worried, that is a great sign! Plus, suboptimal is very different from having an absent nasal bone. Hugs to you!

Hi,

I'd definitely think that the nasal bone just needs more time to develop. Maybe ask for a 14 week scsn if possible. Good luck

Xxx

Thanks ladies. It's amazing how other women can make you feel better! I'm still nervous and think I will be until my next scan, but I'm starting to calm down a bit. I just want both babies to be perfect:), we've waited so long! Trying to stay positive!

I agree with pp. Suboptimal is very different from absent. And if your doctor was worried, he would have told you. They aren't in the business to make us feel better, they're in the business of facts (that came from my OB when i worried he wasn't telling me the whole truth one time)

Best of luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->