Suitable reprimand for a 6yr old......

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
So today at the stables DD was caught by the YO throwing kittens with her friend. DD says she wasn't but that the kitten jumped and leapt out of her arms. I did not witness the incident as I was inside, YO was about 100m away in her house and the girls were the other side of 2 wodden panel fences. DS is adamant she didn't throw it, and her friend says that she didn't either - but then if they were caught of course they are going to say that. And I cant really go calling YO a liar can I? She also said that the yard is not a playground, which I agree with, and the girls were running about a bit and climbing on the bales, but no worse than her kids, who actually showed DD how to do it (I feel like she is getting into trouble for copying her kids!)

Anyway, I have grounded her for 2 weeks - as well as you can ground a child that doesn't get to go out alone. No riding bike to school. No internet, no play dates and no outings for 2 weeks.
She is also to apologize coherently to the YO tomorrow.

Do you think this is suitable? Or should it be more/less? We have never had her do anything like this before.

I think 2 weeks is quite a lot to give things up for a 6 year old particularly when you don't 100% know it happened. That's just my opinion though. How old are these kittens cause at 7 weeks old and older they are wriggly and if they are being brought up outdoors probably aren't well handled . is there a chance the kit was trying to wriggle away and your DD stretched her arms out trying to contain it. I know iv done that while holding an escaping kitten. You will know her better I just find it hard to believe a 6 year old throwing kittens :/ may be wrong though

I think that's too harsh. Honestly I'd chat with your LO, discuss the dangers of not handling animals properly and give her the benefit of the doubt since there is no clean picture of what happened.

I find it hard to believe that a 6yo would purposely throw a kitten just for fun and giggles.

They were not really caught though - 100 m is a really long way to see anything at all and I find it hard to believe 2 6 year olds would throw kittens as well as that is a not very nice thing to do. (What does YO stand for).

I personally would say to her that she should explain to the YO what happened (I assume they are her kittens) and that it was an accident

I would also think about leaving them in the yard unsupervised if it is not suppose to be a playground.

And yes if your DD is telling the truth you can say to the YO that her view and distance away meant she was mistaken - an adult should not always be trusted to have an accurate viewpoint

If she did do it - no grounding is not an appropriate punishment in that she clearly needs to learn that its wrong rather than a punitive punishment

Yo is yard owner. They had ran outside whilst i was inside seeing to the pony.

All moot now as yo husbands left.me a voicemail tellinh me to move the pony tomorrow. Never going to happen as no where to go.

That is totally unreasonable you need some type of notice

I would say the punishment was to harsh, now They have asked you to move the pony it seems like the kitten incident was just a excuse. Before they asked you to leave

What reason have theygiven you. I agree I think that they made up the kitten incident and your DD was innocent and they just dont like the children playing there

I wouldn't punish mine at all. Aside from the fact that in hindsight it looks that they were trying to find an excuse to ask you to leave, I would have just spoken to a 6 year old about caring for animals. No punishment necessary imo even if your dd did throw the kitten it's just a matter of talking it over to ensure she knows not to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->