Summer Camp - First Time

Shadowcat

Mommy of 3
Reaction score
I just sent my oldest child (he's 11) to sleep over camp for the whole week. He's never been away from me for that long in his life. He's really excited, and I'm happy that he'll get to have some great new experiences...but I'm not coping well at all! I've been sobbing uncontrollably for the last hour. Hopefully it'll get better or I'll be crying all week long, lol.

How do you all cope with this first long separation?

Awe hun... it get's easier. Just focus on how much fun he will have and how great it is that he can be away and still be independent etc... that is an important thing for kids to learn at an early age. Obviously it's not always easy on the parents. But that will come in time.

Maybe try to keep busy while your son is away and think of all the things he'll have to share with you when he returns. And what fun you can have chatting it up :) My SD goes away every summer for at least a week (or more) to camps or to visit family etc... and we miss her like crazy, but know what amazing experiences she is having because we allow her to spread her wings. I know that doesn't make it easier- but your being a good parent and that will only bring you and your son closer :)

Being a parent is hard sometimes... big hugs!!!! :hugs:

I didn't feel comfortable sending my 8 year old daughter off to camp for a week....so I went with her. I was 8 and a half months pregnant, sleeping on a twin bunk bed, walking all over the place in 100 degree weather....but it was great to get to spend all the time with her right before the baby was born. If she'd been 11, I'd have let her go alone. He'll have a great time, and you'll make it. Write lots of letters. Also, the camp my daughter went to allowed parents to come eat dinner and go to chapel with their kids any day. You may want to look into the camp's policy about visitors, and go see him if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->