Summer Reading by Regal Peas

Regalpeas

25th hour dash! 38+ trying
Reaction score

Hello All! :hi:

The goal is to read books from these categories before summer is out.
Feel free to join me in discussion of the books once I've completed them.

Categories:
x A Book about Summer x finished July 10, 2011
x A Book about Sisterhood x finished July 27, 2011
A Classic
xDanielle Steel Titlex-finished July 1,2011
EJD Title
x Fantasy/Scifi x- finished September 19, 2011
x Interracial Romance x Finished August 4, 2011 (double topic w/ vamp wolf)
x Jodi Piccolt Title x- Finished July 21, 2011
Non Fiction Interest x- finished September 22, 2011
x Non Fiction Reference x-finished July 10, 2011
Nostalgia Topic x finished August 13, 2011
Paranormal Romance x finished August 13, 2011
Something from my Bookshelf
x Vamp/Wolf x Finished August 4, 2011 (double topic w/ Interracial Romance)

I’m reading in random order as I get the books.

I started w/ a Danielle Steel Title because the book was referred and loaned to me already. I completed July 1, 2011

https://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/isbnthumbs/038/534/0385342268.jpg

"Sisters" by Danielle Steel. It took me two years to finish that book. hahahah. It was such a slow start, but once I picked it up again for summer reading it finally started to interest me especially since I was already 1/3 through the storyline.

The book is about 4 biological sisters who are completely focused on their careers thus causing them to live miles apart. They visit home for a holiday party with several unexpected challenges ahead of them. The book chronicles their progress through those challenges.

I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5. I would recommend it to someone looking for a feel good book. Yes, it definitely have its intense moments but in the end the theme and outcome will most likely have you feeling good about life...I suppose.

Thanks! :) Good to see you over here. :)

https://www.whattoexpect.com/images/bookstore/expect_before_expecting.jpg

What to Expect Before You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff

As a reference selection, I've been reading this book along side a few others in the last few weeks. I finally completed on July 10, 2011

This book was very informative even for someone who has basically read up on ttc prior to picking it up. What I really enjoyed about this selection was the positive flair it possessed all the while being realistic, upfront and statistical. I felt very motivated in regards to ttc after reading. Also there's sections through out the book for the men (fathers to be) which I thought were the perfect compliments to the overall information given.

I give it 4.5 stars out of 5 and I recommend it to new and lttc -ers alike. I will definitely buy to keep in my collection as it would serve handy for several pregnancies to come.

I'm going to steal your idea and start a book thread :thumbup:

Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews

I finished this book July 10

https://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Summer-Rental-by-Mary-Kay-Andrews.jpg

Can I just say I LOVE BOOKS ON CD!:thumbup:
Where have they been all my life? I actually get more book hours in while accomplishing other tasks "reading" a book this way. I will try to get them as much as possible during my summer reading.

This book is brand spanking new off the press 2011 summer release. I've never read this Author before. I just chose it because the book is based in Nags Head Outerbanks. I vacationed there many moons ago. I thought it would be nice to see the author's perspective on the area.
The book is mainly about 3 friends vacationing for a month in a less than ideal summer rental on the beach. But also there's a guy who's dealing with possible foreclosure due to extreme debt and a mysterious woman that they all come across during their month at the beach.

So the book was not like I remembered Nags Head to be but it was interesting none the least. I ended up liking this book, despite not thinking I would after a chapter or two. It was the perfect pace. I fell in love with the characters, because they were very believable not only in their personality types but in their occupations and the fact that they would all find themselves together. One thing that I did not see as much as I would have liked in
"Sisters" , but very much in this book was distinct characters with distinct personalities and distinct goals/destinies.

Anyhow there was a little bit of romance in the book. The main one not being my type /interest but still snagged my attention non the less.

I give the book a 4 out of 5 due to creativity, strong believable characters, awesome setting and great story telling at the right pace. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light read w/ a twinge of action. Also, to mainstream readers who enjoy season themed books.:thumbup:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a8mEOKjk-lY/TL3rry5mh9I/AAAAAAAACAk/8RVxfStaIAc/s1600/NineteenMinutes.jpg

19 Minutes

I finished on 7-21-2011
I give the book a 4.5 for creativity, bravery(on part of author to take a different angle to the topic matter), believable characters(in general) and a strong plot.

This was my first Jodi Picoult novel. I’m happy to say she sold her work to me with this one. The book really reached deep inside of me to a place that I had tuck away unbeknownst to my own conscious mind. In a bittersweet twist of events I related to both main character in different points of my growing up.

It started off as a slow read, because I wanted to grasp every little detail... each fine aspect presented of the character. It wasn't until I was 1/3 way through the book that I realized it didn't really have chapters. It was simply a series of events pieced together moving back and forth through space and time. That was very appropriate to the topic matter.

Although, at times very intense and others light hearted, this story urges the reader to think deep about gun control, school bullying and seeing all sides of a story. Kudos Jodi! I would definitely recommend this book to someone else...especially parents of school age kids, teachers and those who work with adolescents. :)

The only thing I didn't like is some of the dialogue especially between young children was not believable...almost too mature. It kind of made certain parts seems cheesy and contrived.

Thanks Hakuna and Lovie for the recommend! :)

Hi Hope and Pray. Thanks for stopping by honey! Please feel free to share. So many have read this book and enjoyed. That says alot. :)

https://www.theaudiobookstore.com/images/product-images/sisterhood-everlasting-novel-unabridged_bkrand002664.jpg

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Bashares

Done 7-27-2011 (did not complete the book)

I give this book a 0 b/c what I read left me feeling empty.

This is the long awaited “adult”addition to the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. Over a 4 Book time line avid fans and newcomers alike were left with the sisterhood at the age of 19. This book picks up 10 years later with a plot twist that is mind blowing at worse and awkward at best.

Can I just say that I hated this book!I got it as a book on cd. I got to disk 2 chapter 12 of the disk before I just let it all go unfinished. I just could not take it anymore. Or perhaps it was that I WOULD not take it anymore. It has little to do with the writing as it does with my connection to the entire series. I just feel the author went too far off course with this book. It breaks my heart. She should have left the girls where she did in the last book that we assumed was the end. I must reiterate that Ann Brashares has potent style. I could just fall in love listening to her prose. One can always count her to deliver in that department. However, the plot itself was a let down to say the least.That’s the most I can say w/o revealing the core plot which has a twist.

***************true spoiler*****************

The author killed off Tibby. If you are a fan you know what that means. She broke the golden rule. You do not destroy main characters ever…you may allow them to die graceful even if it's at the hands of another or even suffer the disease of life within purpose…etc but you do not treat them like a device---with little or no regards to who they are as a character---just to get to a final point in the story line. I hated it! I screamed! I begged. I questioned whether this was a sick joke, but it was real. As a Tibby fan I was beyond myself with grief. The others were still there as girls not much as adults as the “return” statement promised. Because I did not finish the book I cannot say that their personalities/maturity levels changed for the better. However, according to most of the peer reviews I read it got worse. I just don’t understand Ann’s decision to do such a horrid thing. I can’t respect it although I love her writing style. It’s superb.

All and all this series was never about core issues, or mainstream goals. It was about the very central theme of sisterhood that at this level could only be completed by all four of them. I’m not saying these girls were not to experience death. Hayle, B did when she was just a girl. I am saying there is a tasteful way to explore adult topics amongst a group of friends. From what I read this was not one of them.

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PZHw77LeL.jpg

The Alpha Promise
by Hayat Ali

I finished on 8-4-2011

First, I must say I am proud of this author to be one of the first to introduce characters of color as the MAIN topics of a vamp/wolf storyline. Of course there's the Vampire Huntress Legend by LA Banks that has had stamina and a huge following, but more is needed in the diversity department of the genre. So I give her kudos. This innovation and leadership will be reflected in my ratings.

This is a self published book that was recommended through a good reads group I'm apart of now. Actually as I remember it two different group listed it as you see it follows 2 different genres guidelines.

The author is a self proclaimed storyteller insisting she is not a writer. Well, I'll give her that. Her style does need work. However, so does her crafting and story weaving. Also did not like that she ended the book on a huge cliff hanger that did not clear up anything within the original storyline. I want so badly to say that I felt robbed to emphasize how she should not have ransomed her followers into another book just to get answers, but honestly I just wanted the choppy writing to end.

What I really liked is that despite having main characters of different races, the main vamp looked at the main female as a human which she was...not a race not an ethnicity ...so did she to him as well. He was a vamp not an asian vamp. Race never came up.So loved that! Sometimes as a reader I need a break from the political undertones of racial tension. Although, I usually require it in general interracial romance plots b/c it's a real life issue that will eventually be discussed by partners, in fantasy it's good to erase pressure points to recreate dynamic lines that are not usually seen in real life. Also, I'm glad that for once someone did not use the species different as subtext to race/ethnicity relations or to spin it as a metaphor about marginalized groups. Such writing has been over stated in the fantasy genre to the point that it is now contrived and losing its luster. :ignore:

Also, I really enjoyed her spin on the vamp mythology like including clans, alphas and other things that are particularly hers as far as I have read (must read the book to find out :D )Although I must admit that some things she incorporated were just creepy not in a "this is about vampires duh it's creepy", but more in a..."um...can we please not do/say that anymore?" type of way.
Still her take on vampires were comforting. Also, I liked how she changed the world view of vampires in general. They weren't cold hearted snakes driven by instinct or fighting to tame their urge to exploit humans. They were consumed with their own species'.. ebbing and flowing with their own push and pull dynamics. I especially like how it was forbidden for them to prey on humans. That totally was different than what we've seen in the past and very intriguing to say the least.

Overall, I must admit I do want to know what happens, but I could wait to hear it from someone or in a review that spills it all.

However, I most likely will buy the next book because like I said I believe in what this author is doing. It should be encouraged. Also I assume her writing will get better as the constructive criticism pours in. I hope others follow in her lead. As a fantasy lover/reader I not only expect more diversity (this is not just in regards to the race/ethnicity of the main characters), but in the flexibility of the published genre as a whole... I require it.

Anyhow I give the book a 3 for it's creativity and innovation. Also I commend the leadership of this author to go out on a limb to hear the cry of fans every where screaming that many voices should be heard in this genre. I also give the rating for intriguing mythology . I would recommend this to someone, most likely a lover of the genre regardless of their race/ethnicity, who can stomach the writing to see the bigger picture and ultimately the greater story.

Thanks Hakuna for consistently supporting this thread.:kiss::hugs:

https://images.amazon.com/images/P/006105366X.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due

I finished this book on August 13, 2011

So...this book was not so much a Paranormal Romance as it was just weird. lol I mean now that I think of it---the book was labeled Horror, with a brief review by Stephen King that I totally over looked. But in my opinion it wasn't quite horror either. I think if I had to put a tag on it ---I would call it mystical.

Anyhow, in researching for fantasy/sci fi (and all sub genres) books where people of color are main characters I came across this author. I have been promising to read one of her books for almost a year, but was never interested in the few I discovered. Well I came across this title a few months back. I was drawn in by the caption.

The book is about a journalist and her husband who she senses is different--or off about something, but can't pin point it. Well he ends up being an immortal (the reader knows this right away). The book centers around his history and events leading up to how the journalist finds out and every little outcome in between and after. It's good stuff just not what I expected. The ending left me wanting more. Good for me...as I found out today that there are 2 other books in the series w/ a 4th one coming out next month! I had no idea that this book was the forerunner to others. SO I'll read those once summer reading is over.

I give the book 4 stars for well rounded writing, great imagery, strong characters, great story telling and a splendid tribute to the African-American experience and Africa herself.

Glad you liked the book and that there are more in the series!

I'm halfway through Drums of Autumn. It's massive and I haven't been reading every day but it is really good!!

That's good.
It's all about the pace! Some stories take longer than others.

https://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/06/robopocalypse-us.jpg

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

I stopped reading the book September 19, 2011

I lingered well pass the two weeks limited I gave my summer reading book and well pass the level of interest the book was suppose to give me. But for some reason I wanted to read this book badly. The idea was wonderful the pitch was fantastic but the writing was too stoic for me. I kept falling asleep at each read. I told myself. Eh...your much more of a fantasy girl anyhow.:blush:

I think deep down inside I was uninterested because I had read/seen this story before with Irobot and the likes. If the writing had been more fluent to my taste I may have pushed through to see how the story differed.

The book is about a war that machines have waged on humankind. But unlike the matrix they're not quite Alienesque... but found in every day technology like computer intelligence inside phones, cars and other common devices. This is kinda a pre-Matrix scenario---how the machines came to take over, before they gained such power to take over sorta thing.

I give the book 2.5 stars for such spectacular marketing and excellent science fiction skill that not only did it bind me from moving to a new book for weeks upon weeks but it also convinced Steven Spielberg to bring it to the big screen.:shrug: Look out for it in 2013. Maybe I can catch and appreciate it more so then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->