Suncream

c beary83

Reaction score
Bit of a strange question... Is there any suntan cream recommended in pregnancy, or what do you use?

I've tried to Google it and ended up scared to even go out in the sun as Google says that some have chemicals that can get absorbed into the blood and harm baby :shrug:

I use whatever I have. I'm very pale so it's high spf, my ob made a comment that Id better put more sunscreen on because I was red at my last appt lol

I had this same freak out initially. I empathize because it took me ages of searching to find something I felt safe with. I decided upon Badger sunscreen because it got an A rating on ewg.org. I especially like the face stick they sell.

You might find this link helpful: https://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/report/executive-summary/

I also really recommend a wide brim straw hat!

The internet is full of scaremongering, I wouldn't worry too much about negative suncream, any suncream will do. I would just make sure to go up one spf/use a 30+ as your skin is more susceptible to sunburn in pregnancy, if you're worried or your skin is feeling sensitive go for a baby or kids one.

Is it ok to sit in the sun When pregnant then? I'm not sure what they advise I have sat in it today for couple hrs with my dress on n cardigan over my tummy lol

I have a friend on here who had 2nd degree burns when on a cruise while pregnant. Ended up sick with a fever. The dr said you get burnt worse when pregnant so make sure if your out for any length of time wear it. Vanicream is supposed to be good not artificial or toxins. But I haven't been outside long enough to get much sun.
Being outside won't hurt you or baby as long as you don't get burned or dehydrated pp.

Ok thanks It has only been 20 degrees today n I put a little bit of cream on but have felt a little sick n tired since getting home!

Yeah that's the temp of my house I had to convert it. :) probably just a but dehydrated, if you don't swell try some Gatorade if you have it or some fruit juice.

Best to stay away from Google for advice In pregnancy, it will only terrify you and make you believe everything will harm your baby. It's just scaremongering. Your skin will be more sensitive in pregnancy so it's best to use a good sun cream and follow rules like covering up or taking shade at the hottest part of the day and if you can wear a sunhat. If it makes you really uncomfortable though there are lots of more natural sun creams you can buy. Just be careful they are just as effective. Getting badly sunburnt will be much worse for you baby than a little suncream. Enjoy the sun!

I agree with everyone who cautions the internet is filled with scaremongering, and take it all with a grain of salt. At the same time, I think there are a lot of toxins in a lot of our skincare and beauty products and it's good to create consumer demand for safer lotions.

That being said, I think normal suncream is just as dangerous long term for not pregnant people as it is for us preggers. It was just being pregnant that first got me really thinking about all the toxic household products I used to use without a second thought. That being said, pregnant women really do burn more easily. If I found myself out and about having forgotten my own suncream and the only option was regular suncream, I would still use it!

Well my skin is defo more sensitive n prone to burning more cos my shoulders n chest r like a beetroot tonite! I love the sun n usually tan nice n don't burn much but today ive burnt! Will know now to use a stronger sun cream while pregnant! Ive lathered myself in aftersun!

hope, I normally never burn either and I have to be SOOOO careful now! I've decided hats are the best :)

Sorry to hear you're dealing with a sunburn

Its not too bad now I put the lotion on but I will be more aware as I usually wear a low factor oil but best wear a higher cream in future while I'm pregnant! I have a holiday to Spain in July so will be careful! All worth it though! X

I use a kind with zinc oxide. My opinion is that it's better to wear it than to get sunburn.

I never used any suntan cream as I was not sure about its contents, the only skincare product that I used during the entire pregnancy was bio-oil and it really worked wonders for my skin!

I think its maybe a case of balance. Suncream does generally contain stuff that is bad for you on the other hand sunburn is bad for you too. Bad sunburn can be quite serious. If you are able to avoid sunburn by staying out of strong sun, using a hat, covering up etc then that might be the best aproach. If you are in a situation where you are going to get sunburn then using cream is probably better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->