super duper restless legs at night!

rapunzel87

Reaction score
My restless legs are driving me CRAZYYYYY!! I used to get very few episodes before getting pregnant. But now its almost every single night ever since I hit end of 2nd tri. I find it so hard to fall asleep because I have to constantly move my legs :cry:

My ob/gyn tested me for ferritin and other minerals/vitamin deficiencies a week ago and nothing showed up there. Just wondering if anyone else has had this or gets it, and if so, any tips or advice?

Elevate your legs with a pillow once you're in bed hun and try and give your legs a nice massage. My mum also swears by eating lots of magnesium and potassium rich foods as she struggles with restless legs.

My yoga instructor suggested doing the following: lie on your back on the floor with your bum against a wall or piece of furniture. Lift your leg (only my right leg is restless but you might try with both legs up at the same time) up straight against the wall/furniture. Leave up for a few minutes. Repeat several times a day.

I have to say, though, that what works best for me is getting dh to massage my right foot. He's fed up with doing it but I keep asking as when he does it I'm at my most relaxed all day.

I have had rls for years and was medicated for it before getting pregnant. Since I've been pregnant I haven't been able to take my meds and my rls gets awful. I've found that potassium and magnesium supplements help a bit. I also take showers when it acts up and use the massage sprayer attachment on my legs only as hot as I can stand. While waiting for the water to heat I usually do some muscle stretches that I found here: https://www.healthline.com/health/restless-leg-syndrome/exercises-to-alleviate-rls They really have helped.

^ thank you for the replies ladies. This is some great practical advice!

Petitpas: is it necessary to put my legs against something? Or can I just have my bum against the wall and put my legs up in the air? Mine is predominantly my left leg, but I am going to try doing this exercise with both

I only did it up against a wall or a sofa or door frame. Try both?

Ugh yes! I was just about to post a thread asking about it. It's driving me crazy and I'm so tired all the time. No advice but I really sympathise.

Yes! I am having this same problem, and it is driving me crazy! My poor husband having to put up with my "Octopus legs" every night.

I have cut back on my calcium intake (too much gives me serious leg cramps), and started eating lots of potassium rich foods, but it hasn't helped. I've tried a hot bath before bed and stretching, and neither of those help either. The bad thing is that it bothers me during the day, too, if I'm sitting in one place for too long.

The doctor gave me a muscle relaxer for my hips, and I was hoping that would help with the restless legs, too, but it doesn't even touch it. It doesn't really help my hips, either.

I just want to sleep at night! :(

I'm having this too, just cant sleep because of it. I now dread going to bed because it's so frustrating being tired and not able to get to sleep. I relieve mine a bit by putting a pillow or cover between my legs. Helps a little but not much. I feel like im turning into an night owl! X

I have had this in both pregnancys since first tri :( everytime I sit down for too long, mostly from 5pm onwards, it starts up. The only way to help it for me is elevate legs, massage or sleep! xx

Same here and it's absolute torture!!!! One magnesium pill used to help but not anymore! Here's what I've found makes it manageable. I drink a powder drink called calm magnesium before bed and take my 1 magnesium pill. I take a bath, do yoga, then massage lotion into my legs. Sometimes I have to get up and do more yoga. And sometimes I even rub magnesium oil on my feet.
I was in the hosptital overnight to monitor the babies, so basically had to stay in 1 position and my legs were so bad I just sat there and cried. Absolute torture. Magnesium really does help though

I asked the doctor about this yesterday at my appointment. He said that it was likely
1) the baby is resting on nerves or cutting off circulation,
2) low calcium
3) low potassium
or 4) low iron

Mine seems to be iron related. I took an iron vitamin after I got back from the office yesterday, and would you believe that last night I didn't have any problems with my legs! After ONE pill!

The doctor also suggested stretches, warm baths, massage, and using a heating pad to help.

I'm also low iron and have no doubt it's made it worse, but I've been on a supplement for over a month, and while it's better, it's still a big problem. I have rls even when not pregnant though.

I'm also low iron and have no doubt it's made it worse, but I've been on a supplement for over a month, and while it's better, it's still a big problem. I have rls even when not pregnant though.

Aw, that's no good. I only started getting it with this pregnancy.

At least you get to come on here and complain to us. :hugs: My poor husband is so tired of hearing me complain!

I have it when not pregnant as well. Did your doctor have you on medication before you conceived? I was taking Mirapex and it really helped a lot. I'll start back on it if I end up not breastfeeding, or when I finish breastfeeding if I do.

Actually I was just taking a 200mg magnesium before and rls would go away immediately (took me years to figure that out though)
Weird thing is I take 800mg now and it doesn't help. AND during my hospital stay they brought me a huge dose of magnesium and said I was low! I think I must not absorb it well during pregnancy and hoping I go back to being able to after bc I want to breastfeed for several months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->