"Superovulation" questions

Lamburai1703

Finally a mummy!
Reaction score
Hi folks. I have been discussing the idea of a "superovulation" cycle with my consultant and don't actually know much about it so thought it best to ask here if that's ok . Just for background, I've got a nearly 2 year old, I'm 35 and had 9 miscarriages before my daughter and 1 subsequently. I have high NK cells and receive treatment for that.

I do ovulate on my own but its very erratic and has been since my last miscarriage. He's suggesting that I take 100mg of clomid and have a scan day 16-18, and maybe a trigger shot of ovidrel (or something like that). My gp is happy to prescribe the clomid but I don't know whether to have the scans and trigger shot as well. They will be private you see.

So I guess my question is, is 100mg of clomid and using ov tests accurate enough to time sex, or is a scan totally required?

Thanks in anticipation of sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

I did 3 unmonitored cycles of clomid. I did take my temp though so I could pinpoint ovulation accurately.

Over 3 years i did several cycles of unmonitered Clomid. What i didn't know at the time was that both my tubes were blocked. Once i had at least one open one I went to see a Reproductive Endo and decided to go for the scans. The first month i opted not to use the trigger shot, as i ovulate on my own. We also did IUI along with sex and THEN found out my left tube (the one i'd ovulated from) was still blocked, but since i'd had scans i knew there was a possibility of a right side ovulation as well. The next month i did the trigger shot because, why not, we did the IUI and HEY ... twins

The scan was reassuring. I knew i ovulated ut it was super helpful seeing the screen, knowing the follicle sizes and what. If not the trigger shot, which i would highly consider, i would do the scans. I paid OOP for the Clomid and trigger and together they can me about $128, with the trigger being $100.

The scans they're talking about are ultrasounds and won't show if your tubes are blocked. What they will show is how many eggs you produce, which is good if you produce enough to have a risk of high order multiples. You might not want to go ahead that month if that's the case. The risk of that many follicles developing on clomid alone isn't great, so you might not want to.

The other thing the ultrasound could show is that you're a poor responder to the oral drugs and that you might need injectables.

I should add that i never produced more than 2 eggs. Clomid isn't used for superovulation, drugs used for super ovulation are used for IVF retrieval where they need to have plenty.

to answer your original question yes you can just use OPK's and or temps etc and time sex

I never produced more than 1 egg, on the cycles I was monitored...

Clomid isn't used for superovulation, drugs used for super ovulation are used for IVF retrieval where they need to have plenty.

Not always. I've never had IVF, just IUIs, but they had me superovulate every time, first with oral meds and then with oral meds + injectables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->