Supply advice

susywoosy

Mum of two!
Reaction score
Hi girls. I was hoping for some advice on how I can quickly and successfully build my supply back up. Its pretty much at zero but only recently stopped expressing.

A wee bit of background. I ebf for first month to 6 weeks but started introducing expressed milk in a bottle as i wouldn't bf in public so wanted milk available. It also meant DH could help with night feeds.

Anyway this worked for a while and my DS was thriving, putting on weight well etc. Around the 4 month mark i got a bad tooth infection. I was really run down and needed antibiotics. Literally over night, my supply decreased to about half what i could normally express. I was stressed and frustrated so decided i would move over to formula seeing as i was supplimenting some of his feeds anyway.

So we started to notice we struggled to get 20 oz a day into my son. He was refusing feeds, crying when we tried to feed and generally feeding became a nightmare. The final straw was last week when he had 9 oz in a day & we went to dr as he was crying a lot, had runny nappies (he is teething but teeth at bottom were thru by this stage) and i was really worried he would b losing weight.

Dr thot it was possibly a milk intolerance given he seemed fine with my breast milk but big probs started when we moved over to formula full time. He is now on infasoy. Feeding a bit better and less pained but now badly constipated and has little cuts from straining to poo. I hate seeing him so unsettled cos he is a great baby when he is happy.

I want to build up my supply again & suppliment until such times as he is receiving all milk from me. I got a couple of ounce out on Thursday last week but there after just a dribble of milk. I havent tried again in a few days as i was quite down about it.

I have bought fenugreek which i can start taking today & he will latch on and suckle even tho there is little milk (him having teeth is a new sensation!!) but hoped there may b other suggestions. My DD made transition from breast to bottle to formula no probs but my DS has struggled with it all.

Apologies for long post. Any advice would b much appreciated xx

Sorry I've no experience with this so haven't got any answers but, can you get baby to latch at all??

Yeah last i tried he would latch. Thats never been a problem :haha: i'll continue to try what i've been doing... pumping, skin to skin, DS latching on & mayb the fenugreek. Thanks x

Oats and fennel tea!

Maybe you could try giving him goats milk formula until you rebuild your supply. It's mean to be easier to digest that ordinary formula made from cow's milk.

Definitely keep trying to latch and feed him. That will help.

Most babies with CMPA can't have goats or sheep's milk either so be wary of this, 10% are also allergic to soya. To get my supply back up I expressed both sides after a feed as DS was getting cranky that i wasnt producing enough, this was without a doubt the biggest thing for me to boost supply.

Nurse and pump constantly!! Take the supplement, "more milk plus" it was the best for me! Also, pumping in the middle if the night really helps, it's a pain though! There is also an RX you can get from your doc if those things don't work. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->