Supply issues 1st preg, any better 2nd time?

zigee

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else had this problem, I had milk supply issues with my 1st pregnancy. I just couldnt seem to even get to even 3oz from eother side in a pump session. In addition, before I went back to work and had to pump my son was losing weight so I know the pumping alone wasnt the problem.

I ended up having to supplement with formula.

I am pregnant again with my second. Anyone have any success/fail stories on breastfeeding supply second time around if supply issue was a problem for you the first time? Just trying to mentally gear up if I have no hope of a better second run.

Yes! I had ongoing supply issues with my first. He was never able to gain weight on my milk alone, and pumping religiously every 1.5 hours for weeks resulted in only a small increase in supply.

Second child: Totally different story! I have more than enough milk this time. He's gaining like a champ, I can actually hear him swallowing, he is producing more wet and dirty diapers than my first ever did! I took alfafa during pregnancy, ate a crapload of oatmeal and flapjacks in the first weeks postpartum, drank mother's milk tea and nursed skin to skin at every opportunity, switching sides frequently. I don't know what helped and what didn't, but I actually have a little oversupply now! There is definitely hope!

Thank you SO much for replying, I am so anxious about it but hearing your success is REALLY comforting :)

Yes! I had ongoing supply issues with my first. He was never able to gain weight on my milk alone, and pumping religiously every 1.5 hours for weeks resulted in only a small increase in supply.

Second child: Totally different story! ... He's gaining like a champ, I can actually hear him swallowing, he is producing more wet and dirty diapers than my first ever did!...There is definitely hope!

Sorry, I've had this open for a few days and I've been meaning to respond!

The above comment is almost my story as well!

With my DS I had a low supply and NOTHING I could do (and we tried EVERYTHING) increased it, and we had to combi-feed the entire time until I stopped bf'ing at 8 months when my supply just dropped off.

This time I desperately wanted to EBF and it was a huge source of anxiety for me during my pregnancy and in the first few weeks PP. I'm not taking any supplements since nothing helped last time, but I made sure from the beginning that my LO drained each breast when drinking (and otherwise I pumped right after each feed in the first two weeks to help establish the supply) and I pumped anytime my DD went too long between feeds or when she only fed from one side (then I pumped off the other). I wouldn't say I have an over-supply but my DD is gaining really well and has even slept through a few nights (11pm - 6am! At 7 weeks old!) And due to all the pumping in the first few weeks I even have a few days worth of feeds stored in the freezer (which I NEVER had with my DS!)

I would definitely recommend being proactive in the first few days and making sure the breasts are emptied, and trying to stimulate both breasts at each feed (either by letting your LO feed from the other side AFTER the first side has been more or less emptied, or by pumping). It was a bit of extra work but it helped establish my supply in the first few weeks and I haven't needed to pump any extra since.

So there's definitely hope :) Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->