Surprise homebirth - what would I need?

mandwrx

Reaction score
As my labours have both been fairly quick, my midwife is anticipating this one to be quicker and has suggested that I also prepare myself an 'emergency homebirth plan' incase things happen quickly at home and I can't get to hospital. Obviously I know to phone for an ambulance and unlock the front door if I'm home alone so they can get in! I was wondering if anyone who has home birthed (planned/unplanned) could suggest some items to have ready in our 'surprise kit' I guess blankets, towels... :shrug:

Blankets
Towels
Baby hat to keep the head warm

I would keep baby attached to the placenta. Put a towel or blanket over yourself with baby and keep baby on your chest or abdomen to keep babe warm. Once placenta is out try to have babe latch on to help you contract to aid in less blood loss. You also may want to know how to do infant CPR in case baby comes out blue and/or is having trouble breathing.

Thank you, I'll brush up on my baby CPR, have done courses previously as I work in child care. Strangely, I'm not afraid of the idea of a surprise home birth! I just want to be a little bit prepared in case it does happen. I asked the kids what they would do and I knelt on the floor saying quick, the baby's coming - what would you do? My 10yo got a stack of towels and threw them at me, my 14yo ran up and down the hallway shreiking! Oh well at least the 10yo has good instincts :)

Actually, if you have the baby latch BEFORE the placenta comes out, then your body will release oxytocin which will help the placenta to come out. After a few minutes, if you stand up or squat it should just fall right out.

A few old towels.... Something to put under you (to catch any mess and a soft landing for baby if you are on the floor) and also something soft to cover the baby with while they are skin to skin with you. This is enough to keep the baby warm. Keeping YOU really warm is important, too - helps minimise the risk of bleeding too much. So a heater or some blacnkets or something? A bowl or tub to put the placenta in is a good idea too. A cheap shower curtain or two might also be good for protecting your floor/furniture.

A fast HB doesn't faze me either! I actually think it might be kind of nice :)

If it happens that quick, it means your body is working REALLY well! So when it happens fast, it generally means there aren't any problems, so it's not really an emergency :)

I had a surprise home birth, my labour was logged as 3 minutes! We went thru loads of towels, abd socks cos every time I stood up they needed changing! A torch too, it helped the mw when she needed to check me out!

Thank you so much everyone for your help. Our public system doesn't allow for home birth here, you need to book it privately and I just can't afford that so I've never fulfilled my desire for a home birth though both my babies were born without intervention or pain relief, no stitches, and relatively quick labours (7&3hours) so I would be a good candidate. When the hospital midwife said to prepare just in case it happens quickly at home, I felt excited rather than scared. I'll be packing a hospital bag and an at-home kit of anything we might need before an ambulance arrives. All tips and ideas are appreciated!!

aw i was going to say why not have a planned hb instead, my friend moved to oz last year and has just had her baby, they had pools at the hospital but wont use them! and she was telling me about hb's too!
anyway, old towels and sheets are the priority. and as others have said natural 3rd stage, skin to skin, and brush up on cpr. xxx

aw i was going to say why not have a planned hb instead, my friend moved to oz last year and has just had her baby, they had pools at the hospital but wont use them! and she was telling me about hb's too!
anyway, old towels and sheets are the priority. and as others have said natural 3rd stage, skin to skin, and brush up on cpr. xxx

I looked into HB - between $3-5000 :(
and yes, they have stopped using the birth pools in the city hospital here too. No idea why. I'm booked into the hospital nearest me (20min drive) and it does not have a birth centre, just a labour ward. The midwives are lovely there though which is great, and they were pretty relaxed about telling me to have a plan B for birthing at home in an 'emergency' situation. Not that I would consider it, but I do see why 'Freebirthing' is being attempted by many. Thanks everyone for suggestions :)

its very essential to have all the necessary things for the baby and for the wife. like blankets, hot water and other oils. take care of her.

Even tho homebirths can only be done privately, given the circumstances, would they give you an emergency kit just in case? Just with the basic bits in that would assist either you or the ambulance people when they got to you if needs be? That's what I've been told they'll do for me if I have another, but being in the uk i'd probs have a homebirth anyway xx

Oh and also, have a little stash of stuff ready, not just your hospital bag! It's so easy in hospital to leisurely look thru your bag and pick things out, but it got a bit confusing shouting thru to my mum the vague locations of things that were in my bag so she could grab them!

Even tho homebirths can only be done privately, given the circumstances, would they give you an emergency kit just in case? Just with the basic bits in that would assist either you or the ambulance people when they got to you if needs be? That's what I've been told they'll do for me if I have another, but being in the uk i'd probs have a homebirth anyway xx

I was instructed to phone for an ambulance, someone would stay on the phone with us until they arrived and the ambulance would have anything needed for an emergency situation and would transport me to hospital asap or after the birth. I'll talk to my midwife more next visit and see what she suggests I have on hand. Chances are all this talk of quick birth, I'll jinx myself and have my longest ever!

Good grief, what a lot of stress and bother - the last thing you need when you've JUST had a baby... Those early moments are so precious and important and you never get to re-do them. Shame that they don't place much emphasis on early bonding, really :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->