Surviving a cold

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
How can I beat a cold faster? My Dr said no vitamin c, zinc or echinacea so I'm a bit lost on how to get better other than rest and lots of liquids. The suggestion of rest is laughable, I have a busy toddler and no help.

Fluids: get one of those water bottles that keeps things cool and has a big capacity. That way I am not getting up but keeping hydrated. Food: I keep three days worth of emergency foods like canned soups or microwaveable foods for crummy days. A few days of processed food may not be nutritionally sound but it beats starving to death. Rest: any friends or relatives you can call on to tag out with the toddler?

I had my husband grab plenty of soups for the next few days. I have my giant water bottle filled and sipping off of. No help with toddler as I already said so I just need to do my best and keeping her busy. Today we did movies and plenty of coloring.

:hugs: saline nasal spray, sore throat losenges (ask dr before medicated ones), lotion tissues.

Relax things with the toddler about screen time if you have rules about it, being sick is no time to be a stickler. 15 minutes watching a show or with an app may buy you the time you need to pull yourself together. Just my two cents.

Hope you feel better!

I need to run out (booo) and buy lozenges, all the ones I have the dr said are a no go because they have added vitamin c and zinc. Zinc lozenges are always so great, it's disappointing that they can't be used during pregnancy.

Is it that they say no added vitamin c and zinc because of there already being some in prenatals? I don't take prenatals because they make me ill, instead I break up the vitamins throughout the day. But I haven't been doing extra c and zinc, only folic acid and the b vitamins.

I was about to say, maybe that's the reason they said no to the vitamin C, because I'm sure it's in prenatals...Could you call your doctor and ask?
I flipped through a (mostly boring and obvious) pregnancy information pack yesterday and it said Vitamin C was very necessary in pregnancy for the absorption of folic acid, so I bet it's in the prenatal vitamins.

I remember having a really bad cold in my last pregnancy and drank an awful lot of hot water, honey and lemon and it seemed to really help.

Feel better soon x

Agreed the no vitamins is usually because of the prenatal. They don't want you double dosing on vitamin c and a especially.

No shame in movie/screen time, that was my next suggestion. Build a toddler jail next to your bed or jail time in bed with you and toss a movie on hahah. I do that with my dogs. I sleep on the couch downstairs and just let them run around and entertain themselves and wake up every few hours to let them out to pee.

I got a big bag of halls and some baby Vicks vapor rub to help me breathe at not. Tea with honey and steamy showers helped a bit too. Lots of water. I was still miserable.

no vitamin c? odd. Drink lots of OJ and water, get some rest.

Vaporizer. Chamomile or decaf black tea with raw honey. Yes, rest! I bought a mini trampoline to tucker out my three energizer bunnies, and it does a beautiful job. I have no help with them, either, and I would not be able to survive without them getting lots of exercise every day. I put it right in the middle of the living room right now because I'm sick. Worth every penny. Also, lots of Christmas music (or other fun music, of course) to keep the mood light. If you have a nice sized tub, a nice epsom salt bath with your toddler is always great. It isn't as relaxing with a little one, but it will keep her busy for a while, but epsom salt is safe and helps draw out the illness. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Anyway, that's how I'm surviving right now. Not glamorous or anything but gets the job done and keeps us all sane.

1/2 tsp honey, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/8 tsp cinnamon--> mix together and eat. Take it 2-3x/day. Turmeric kicks the crap out of everything!!

Vaporizer. Chamomile or decaf black tea with raw honey. Yes, rest! I bought a mini trampoline to tucker out my three energizer bunnies, and it does a beautiful job. I have no help with them, either, and I would not be able to survive without them getting lots of exercise every day. I put it right in the middle of the living room right now because I'm sick. Worth every penny. Also, lots of Christmas music (or other fun music, of course) to keep the mood light. If you have a nice sized tub, a nice epsom salt bath with your toddler is always great. It isn't as relaxing with a little one, but it will keep her busy for a while, but epsom salt is safe and helps draw out the illness. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Anyway, that's how I'm surviving right now. Not glamorous or anything but gets the job done and keeps us all sane.

Brilliant idea on the trampolines! I called my in laws and begged them to take DD because I was feeling so ill. Called my midwife and they said it sounds like the flu how fast and hard it came on so now I'm on tamiflu and tylenol. Was feeling better for a little while but once it came time for my Tylenol dose I started to feel crummy again. Ugh I can't stand how awful I feel.

Last night I took a bath with DD and she had a blast, I didn't think of epsom salts though!

Poor you

I'd second Vicks vapour rub and honey and hot lemon. Keep dosed up on Tylenol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->