Sushi cooked!

Janisdkh

Reaction score
Ok I decided to make my own sushi. The packaged ones that are made with cooked foods you can't really trust because they prep the none cooked ones as well probably in the same area. I so far have on my list to use crab sticks, stirfry chicken, cucumber, lettuce, cooked salmon and no clue what else! Anyone have some idea's? I am cravinggggggggg badddddd

Sorry Janis I can't help at all. I've never tried sushi and haven't a clue how its made.

Check out the website for recipes, I'm sure there are plenty around!

You probably know this, but they put avocado in it to make it juicy. My favorite are salmon-avocado maki. If it's cooked, you can also try pre-boiled carrots as they have this nice color and they're soft and juicy (a little bit of A-vitamin isn't dangerous. :D).

How are you going to cook it? Simply in an oven?

Ah, and lets not forget soft cheese! I'm not sure how traditional that is, but here all the local sushi places use a lot of spread cheese (e.g. Philadelphia) in their maki. Some soft cheese is almost like creamed cottage cheese, that might get lumpy after heating, but some spread cheese should get this extra warm and soft and creamy texture. So you have to pick the one that's most like regural cheese (It might be what is called "processed cheese" in US, but I'm not sure.)

ohhhh are we aloud to eat sushi.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!
there is no where in my town that make it so i thought about making it myself as well. but i didnt think that we were aloud to eat it.
In saying that i dont eat the raw fish one. i usually get Tuna and Salad and those kinda ones...

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/sushiexpert/

Thank goodness for that hay ladies :) Sushi for tea!
X

Actually I did eat raw sushi after I found our I was pregnant. :shy: I did some reasearch and ended up in the same website. I decided trust quality sushi way more than green mixed salad at a cheap diner or store. If I don't eat sushi, then I can't eat cheap mixed salads either. :p

You can try tuna salad - which is tuna mixed with japanese mayonnaise or any thick style mayo and some very finely chopped or minced onion with cucumber. Another really yummy one is teriaki chicken with avocado and you can try egg ommlette with japanese mayonnaise and carrot. I wouldn't use smoked salmon but canned salmon with potato that has been mashed with japanese mayo is another popular variety that I have seen, and they are all really yummy!

I've been craving sushi really badly too! I plan to go to a sushi bar soon and munch out on the veggie and cooked meat options, some miso soup... mmm..

You probably know this, but they put avocado in it to make it juicy. My favorite are salmon-avocado maki. If it's cooked, you can also try pre-boiled carrots as they have this nice color and they're soft and juicy (a little bit of A-vitamin isn't dangerous. :D).

Ah, and lets not forget soft cheese! I'm not sure how traditional that is, but here all the local sushi places use a lot of spread cheese (e.g. Philadelphia) in their maki. Some soft cheese is almost like creamed cottage cheese, that might get lumpy after heating, but some spread cheese should get this extra warm and soft and creamy texture. So you have to pick the one that's most like regural cheese (It might be what is called "processed cheese" in US, but I'm not sure.)

Hee hee, just cook the meats/fish, not the whole roll!

lol, :D why didn't I think of that. #-o

Can I blame it on pregnant brain? :amartass:

lol, :D why didn't I think of that. #-o

Can I blame it on pregnant brain? :amartass:

Course you can!!

YAY! :D

And in this case - you can use whatever type soft cheese that's tasty. It makes it much more juicy and it glues the fish/shrimp right to the rice and maki won't collapse so easily. (for me sushi=maki, soy sauce and chopsticks. :D)

soy isn't recommended for pregnant women because of the natural hormone-like molecules in it, but having soy sauce with sushi is small enough amount not to make any restrictions.

I thought it was just soy derivatives that were not so great? I thought that products like miso and soy sauce were ok, but I've stopped having my soy milk etc (and I'm allergic to other milk proteins, boo hoo)

I think you might be right.

I found something else on topic. https://www.tokyowithkids.com/discussions/messages/35/9712.html?1200443665
By Natalie_l on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:32 pm:
My advice (as a scientist with a background in parasitology) is to avoid sushi unless it is prepared fresh (e.g. sushi bar OK, sushi from supermarket not OK). Listeria is a bacteria that is found in the environment, usually soil. It is killed by heating things to at least steaming hot, and unlike most bacteria, it can multiply (grow) even when in the fridge. That is why you are not supposed to eat raw, pre-prepared foods like salads and sushi but if you prepare these yourself, it is OK.

Personally, I avoided these foods in Japan and Australia (except a couple of times when I was tempted!). However I stopped altogether when I found out the possible effects:
"In pregnant women, however, even though the most usual symptom is a mild influenza-like illness without meningitis, infection of the fetus is extremely common and can lead to abortion, stillbirth, or delivery of an acutely ill infant".

Considering these things, I would only eat sushi if absolutely desperate for it, and only then from a very reputable place.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jossie!! So it seems that listeria is the real danger to babies, not salmonella as so many people worry about.

Yep I hate listeria :( Living in canada makes it oh so much more scarier because of all the recalls. Thanks so much guys for the info!!!!!! I will be making sushi this week. Oh and to comment on the one who ate raw fish. It's not that it's bad fish that can harm the baby. It's because it's raw and has bacteria, listeria etc that can harm it. Just eat the cooked eats :D and all will be ok. Wow what a bunch of great idea's you guys came up with! *Hugs*

AWESOME!!! so making sushi for the weekend woot woot :)

I ate smoked oysters this week with no ill effects. The thing with smoke-cured fish is a higher risk of food poisoning, so if you get really good quality smoked salmon you should be fine. (I would spend the extra money)

I buy giant uncooked prawns and fry them up in soy, fish sauce, or whatever I can smell and tolerate (sometimes just butter), then slice them up and roll them into the sushi with avacado, cucumber and a little wasabi. That way, you know they're fully cooked because you did it yourself. (They start off brown and turn pink - when they're totally pink leave them on a couple minutes longer to be safe) They also have "lobster" like they do "crab" - lobster is an interesting addition to sushi.

I just miss eel... we don't have a china town here so I can't buy it and cook it myself :cry:

I read an article yesterday on a forum, supposedly written by a healthcare expert - they said that freezing or cooking kills the bacteria in the same way. So if you can go to a reputable sushi house and know that they've frozen their fish, it's ok. Shellfish is still a bit dodgy because they collect a lot of pollution, which isn't removed by cooking or freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->