Swaddling--- who does it?

Waiting2Grow

Reaction score
As it says who swaddles their LO to help them sleep? At 1st i didnt, but i have started. It SEEMS to help, that way he doesnt wake himself up flailing his arms. I bought one of those swaddle blankets at Walmart for around $10. He escapes a regular blanket swaddled around him. Ive seen those Miracle Blankets, but their around $25, seems to expensive. What do you use?

Hiya,
We've been using swaddling blanket since LO was born. It really works, my girl loves it. The one am using is this:
https://www.mothercare.com/Bonfit-B...&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=231490887&pf_rd_s=center-7

They may be a bit costly but I'd say it's all worth it, everyone sleeps better this way :)

We also use a swaddler for bed. I think it helps her feel more secure and snug. I don't trust swaddling in a regular blanket, but that's just me. I would be up all night making sure she didn't squirm around and get it over her face. When LO was in the NICU they swaddled her as she was a bit premature and they say it helps them feel better, and the only thing they told me is to make sure her hands are still out and not to swaddle them down inside the swaddler.

meeee
i still use my miracle blanket now! hes too big but i just leave his legs out.
its my best buy by far! all te other swaddles let them have their arms free inside the swaddle and LO could work them out the top.

We also use a swaddler for bed. I think it helps her feel more secure and snug. I don't trust swaddling in a regular blanket, but that's just me. I would be up all night making sure she didn't squirm around and get it over her face. When LO was in the NICU they swaddled her as she was a bit premature and they say it helps them feel better, and the only thing they told me is to make sure her hands are still out and not to swaddle them down inside the swaddler.

I thought that was the point to have their arms inside?

I was going to as I'd heard it helps them settle but the midwife at parentcraft said absolutley not. She said it was ok for them to do it as soon as baby was born but it shouldn't be done after a day or so as baby can get too hot and can't regulate their temperature so I've decided against it again now :shrug:

So what would be the point then? Wouldnt it just be like them wearing a tight blanket?

I was going to as I'd heard it helps them settle but the midwife at parentcraft said absolutley not. She said it was ok for them to do it as soon as baby was born but it shouldn't be done after a day or so as baby can get too hot and can't regulate their temperature so I've decided against it again now :shrug:

thats a new one! never heard that before lol
my LOs 7 months old and is currently swaddled on my lap :haha: never had a problem with getting too hot as i adjust his clothes/room temp accordingly :)

They said having their hands by their face helps keep them stimulated and can reduce sids. And also if something were to get in their face or the blanket scooted up by their face they can use their hands to get it away as a natural reflex.

They said having their hands by their face helps keep them stimulated and can reduce sids. And also if something were to get in their face or the blanket scooted up by their face they can use their hands to get it away as a natural reflex.

My LO at 4 months does not move anything away from his face. I have had a few times now where he has either his muslin cloth or muslin blanket up on his face and he just puts his arms at his sides and panics! :dohh: He makes no attempt yet to remove it from his face.
I swaddled my LO until a short while ago and we went cold turkey into a sleeping bag. He has been sleeping really well and just last night went nearly 12 hours. Usually he will only sleep a max of 10 broken by feeds so that was something new. Was nice to have a small lie in this morning and got up at 8:15 rather than 6/7 :D
I swaddled with a blanket I had at the hospital. I swaddled his arms in too, as otherwise what is the point? He hit himself in the face to wake himself up so needed his arms in. I bought a swaddle pod but he could get his hands up at the top and would wake himself, and he didnt much like the miracle blanket so I didnt want to keep forcing him into it and have him groan and cry because he cant move his arms.

I don't know, I'm just saying what they told me at the hospital. Being wrapped up tight even if their arms aren't inside is still comforting, at least for my lo. With DD1 we wrapped her arms in it, but I guess this is a new thing that came out, as we had 3 nurses tell us this.

I do swaddle my DD.. but not her hands.. she doesnt let me.. i use a thin cotton cloth... so shee doesnt feel too hot and is very comfortable.. and set the room temp around 76... that helps her get cozy sleep... :)

I did for 10 months.

At 4 months, I left 1 arm out so he could suck on his hand.

No regrets and would do it again. By 10 months I needed two pre-made blankets with velcro to keep him inside though.

I just use a shawl.
I've tried so hard to stop swaddling but she screams blue murder if she's not swaddled by7.30pm, bad times.

We swaddle our baby at night and during the day when he is fussy. All the books I've read as well as the pediatrician, nurses, and midwives recommend it since it helps cut down on the moro (falling) reflex that startles them awake; it helps them feel secure like they did in the womb. Big muslin blankets are nice for swaddling because they're stretchy and not too hot. We also really like the Swaddle Me blankets because they have velcro so our baby who is a budding escape artist doesn't squirm his way out. They come in packs of three for $27. I have a miracle blanket too, but wish it had the velcro--I've been meaning to sew some on. If you're worried about overheating, I'd just put less (or nothing) on underneath.

We swaddle, only in the night - without it my son would wake up because his arms either hit the side of his moses basket or he lands up hitting himself in the face. We use a swaddle blanket - Summer Infants Swaddle Me - which is great but my Little Houdini does sometimes get his hands out. He sleeps through the night since we have been using it unless his hands break free and we simply redo his swaddle and he is out like a light.

Def a great buy, the material is breathable and stretches so he can kick his legs and his hips are not restricted.

xx

I've swaddled my lo since the day she was born and I've used all sorts of swaddle blankets including the miracle blanket but I've found that the best way is just with a regular square blanket (if done correctly). I watched a video by dr Harvey Karp on how to swaddle a baby properly.

She wears a vest and sleep suit, then swaddled with a thin stretchy blanket and then has a fleecy blanket over the top tucked into the matreess to keep her in position.

Megan wouldn't sleep without being swaddled( her arms) as she had a horrible startle reflex. I didn't start out swaddling her but her pediatrician recommended that we do it. I used a halo swaddle sack at night as she could put her hands together vs her sides but they wouldnt flail and she had more room in the leg area vs. Legs being swaddled too. I used the kidopotomus swaddle me for naps.

We switched to sleep sacks around 4 1/2 months but I should have continued for another month or so. Her startle reflex was better by 4 1/2 months and people gave me flack for swaddling. But the reflex wasn't 100% gone til 6 months. Next baby I will be swaddling for as long as the baby needs it... Whether it be 2 days or 12 months.

The book by Dr. Harvey Karp mentioned by previous poster, called The Happiest Baby on the Block is great--I highly recommend--and it has a full section on swaddling, the whys and hows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->