Swaddling

alio

Reaction score
Morning Ladies,

Just wondering who swaddles? I swaddle Fin. He's 2 and a half months now and will only really sleep contentedly if swaddled. I'm just thinking about the months ahead, eventually he'll be in his cot in his own room and there'll come a time when he's too big to swaddle surely?!

Anyone got any tips for settling him without the swaddle?

Thanks

xx

i don,t swaddle jack he didn,t like it , but he did take to a baby sleeping bag & he loves it , he slept well since the day i used it , with his sleeping bag he will go to sleep about 11.30 pm after his last bottle & wake about 8 - 9 am have his bottle & then he will go back down for about another 3 to 4 hrs . violet xx

i wonder if he will just grow out of it when he starts to move about and turn himself over??
perhaps gradually loosen the swaddling?

i don,t swaddle jack he didn,t like it , but he did take to a baby sleeping bag & he loves it , he slept well since the day i used it , with his sleeping bag he will go to sleep about 11.30 pm after his last bottle & wake about 8 - 9 am have his bottle & then he will go back down for about another 3 to 4 hrs . violet xx

Ah bugger... I wish this were the case. He hates the grobags I bought him. I really wish he didn't. He's a flailer and he pulls his dummy out to wake himself up.. Hee hee. x

Ah bugger... I wish this were the case. He hates the grobags I bought him. I really wish he didn't. He's a flailer and he pulls his dummy out to wake himself up.. Hee hee. x

oh no maybe he will just grow out of it then , jack hates having his hands covered but i have to put hand mits on his hands or put the babygrows on that have the hand covers , as his hands get really cold jack is only 1 day older than your son . violet xx

oh no maybe he will just grow out of it then , jack hates having his hands covered but i have to put hand mits on his hands or put the babygrows on that have the hand covers , as his hands get really cold jack is only 1 day older than your son . violet xx

ahhhh..... yeah, fin sometimes has his hands out of the swaddle but they get freezing even though the room is 18C.

hee hee little boys are so cheeky!!

xx

I was swaddling her legs, but her daddy bought her this sleep thing for christmas and she likes it.... Its super fuzzy and soft and warm and goes on each leg and then the top is a blanket you wrap around them... She seems to like it.

Lola has a little swaddling blanket too,she really loves it and sleeps a bit more in it.

I swaddle Logan and he sleeps so much better for it .

My midwife told me to stop swaddling him as soon as he sleeps in his own room as he wont be able to wiggle free if hes uncomfy , but i do think that was just her opinion !

lily was swaddled for like 4 months! She slept lovely, but it got way to hot to do it anymore so we had a bad few nights and she was fine in the end, also they get really strong and can brake the swaddle soon enough, so he'll probably just grow out of it. xx

Ruby was swaddled until she was 12 weeks when she went in her own room, then changed to a sleeping bag. We had problems to start with her hands flapping around waking her up but she soon got used to it. x

Can I just ask - do you all use one of those special swaddling blankets? or will normal blankets do the job?

Normal blankets work fine. :) We have swaddling robes too but tbh when they're in the wash we use normal blankets.

Niamh is swaddled but likes having her hands free. If I dare swaddle her with her hands in then she squeals until she wriggles enough to get her hands out so she can stroke her face while she falls asleep lol. :)

We use a swaddle me, and it really calms our LO down and she sleeps longer with it and falls asleep faster. It great when she's cranky too. They do make larger sizes cause my LO is growing out of the small but I've seen medium and large sizes too.

I had a really hard time braking Noah from the swaddling cycle so to speak. When he was swaddled he slept 12-13 hours a night. After well...I haven't had a full night sleep since I stopped. We had to stop because once he rolled over in it, that was the last time we did. Ive read that you can start by swaddling them and leaving one arm out, then one leg, etc.

I use the one with the feet in it too because if not she goes insane trying to kick the blankets free!

Brooklynn is 5 1/2 months now and the only way she has really slept has been swaddled. Over time she has started to wiggle out while she is sleeping and now she goes down for short naps not swaddled bedtime she is still swaddled though.

I went to the fabric store and bought some printed flannel and made jumbo size recievers because I wanted blankets that were light enough

I personally wouldn't worry too much about 'weaning' him from being swaddled. I think they just get old enough that they're fine without it.

I'm just thinking from working with lots of different babies and we would swaddle all the babies (unless their parents specifically requested that we didn't) and generally around 1 year old we'd start to try them without it, just to see how they'd go... and most of the time, they'd have a little bit of a shorter sleep for a week and then get used to it.

One thing that helps is tucking them in nice and tight, so they have that close feeling, and one little trick for the older tots around 18 months when they started sleeping on their bellies and so cant be swaddled anymore, if they had trouble transitioning was to roll up a blanket and place it on their back and put your hand on the blanket, so they know you're there and then wait until they're very relaxed (or asleep) and creep out... because it tricks them into thinking your still with them, for long enough to get them into a deep sleep.

Mind you, this worked for midday sleeps, I'm not sure how well it would last for an overnight sleep... but its just an idea.

Gabbi didn't like being swaddled, only if she was absolutely shattered and would sleep anywhere would she let us do it. She has a sleeping bag and I can recommend them for your baby in the future. No worries about kicking covers off a getting cold

Poppy has trouble sleeping without being swaddled too, always has. You could try swaddling him in a light blanket first and then putting him in a sleeping bag. I did this with Poppy the other night and it worked quite well. In other words, they are in the bag, but their arms are not through the holes, just their heads. You would have to make sure that the sleeping bag fitted well round hisneck though so that he couldn't slip down into it. Could be a good way of making the transition from swaddle to bag? They do look like little worms/grubs though with their arms inside the bag and just their heads poking out the top! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->