Sweep!

maggie111

Reaction score
I'm 38 weeks and went to the hospital for a scan today - baby is already 8lb09!!!

Naughty Baby! :crib:

So I was offered a sweep to hurry things along a bit, which I had.

I know from a lot of women here that they don't really mean much - but I wasn't sure how likely it was to do anything? Anyone any experience with an early sweep? :shrug:

I had 2 with my first (one at 39 weeks and one at 40 weeks) that resulted in nothing. :dohh:

I had one this past Monday and yeah... still pregnant. :haha: I'm pretty sure I've lost my whole mucus plug this time at least, but I was already 4cm dilated when my OB did the sweep.

Scans at this point can easily be off by as much as a pound in either direction, so maybe baby isn't all that naughty afterall. :thumbup:

Good luck!

I had a sweep Tuesday and Its Thursday today and doesn't look like anything will be happening. Yesterday, I went shopping and walked around for 3 hrs, we dtd, I have had pineapples but nothing. I had a few contractions around my back which wasn't regular and lots of cramping on the day I had the sweep. This morning, nothing. So It's not worked for me.

I had one on Tuesday as well and nothing happened. I think it depends how ready your body is eg how soft your cervix is etc good luck :) xx

Thanks everyone - I haven't had any contractions or anything, but I did have a bit of a "show" this morning!! :happydance:

Anyone know how much = a show?? Or have I just lost a bit of my plug? It wasn't enough for me to think that was all of it.

With my DD I had a sweep. Thought it hadn't worked as that day, nothing happened! Then day after I started loosing my plug and by the evening she was in my arms. It all happened very fast :) xx

A sweep only works if your body is almost ready for labour itself... (So they say)
I had one on Monday, 39+6.
2fingers dilated, effaced, anterior, soft and squishy, she even managed to get through my cervix and touch the babys head.. everything was perfect and she and another midwife, the "experts" said i was ready to go and it would proberbly happen that night.
Well here I am, Thursday morning, 40+2.
Absolutely nothing! Not even my plug. No spotting, no nothing.
:(

I forgot to say a big thank you to everyone for replying :D

I'm so excited now I can see I'm starting to lose my plug... JWandBump... How scary! I need to start cleaning the house!!!

:laundry::dishes::iron::hangwashing:

I'm hoping to get my first sweep today but haven't been able to have one so far because my wee rascal isn't engaging! Naughty babies indeed!

I saw my midwife yesterday at 39-5 and she refused to do a sweep. She said she could be struck off for doing it even a day before 40 weeks. She only works one day a week so now I've got to wait until I'm 40-5 to have it done :-( If I was having an easy pregnancy, I wouldn't mind but my spd is so bad that I'm housebound with a 2 year old and by evening I have to literally crawl around because I'm in so much pain.

I don't understand how some uk women are getting sweeps before 40 weeks???

I saw my midwife yesterday at 39-5 and she refused to do a sweep. She said she could be struck off for doing it even a day before 40 weeks. She only works one day a week so now I've got to wait until I'm 40-5 to have it done :-( If I was having an easy pregnancy, I wouldn't mind but my spd is so bad that I'm housebound with a 2 year old and by evening I have to literally crawl around because I'm in so much pain.

Because I'm consultant led and because my twin died - I'm going to be induced on my due date. And ditto to crawling around to get around the house lol! I feel your pain!

The sweep wasn't performed by a midwife, but by a doctor, so perhaps that makes a difference? I think they're also concerned to let me go overdue as he's estimated to be 10lb on due date (if I go 14 days overdue he'd be 11lb!!)

I think that is common practice. I got mine early (from 38+6) because the consultants asked her to. I don't think it is very useful to have it much before 40 weeks as your body is rarely ready, so the success rates before 40 weeks are very low. Even after 40 weeks the sweep success rate is around 50%.

That's strange, I'm in the uk too, and my midwife was perfectly happy to do mine, I was 39+6.. Just a day after you?

Maggie, I don't know anything about sweeps but I just wanted to say good luck, sounds like things are moving along for you. Since being around these boards I've seen you on here a few weeks ahead of me, it's all so exciting seeing everyone I 'know' edging towards the big day!! It'll be me soon yippee. But for now, have fun getting yourself organised and enjoy every moment of your birth!! xx

I'm in the UK and had one at 38+6 with my first bit I went in to hospital having pains and they were worried about baby being small, so that must have been why x

With my first my midwife gave me one at 38+4, at my 36 week app 2 weeks ago I asked if she would give me one today at my 38 week appointment. She said she would, am all geared up now and will b sooooo disappointed if she won't do it today, am in sooooo much pain and uncomfortable and every days getting harder with my 10 month old, he needs his mummy back!! Xx

So sorry to hear about your twin Maggie :hugs:

I hadn't expected the midwife to agree to it before 40 weeks so was surprised to see so many uk women who had them early. Presumably it's the difference between hospital and community midwives/doctors.

Maggie, I don't know anything about sweeps but I just wanted to say good luck, sounds like things are moving along for you. Since being around these boards I've seen you on here a few weeks ahead of me, it's all so exciting seeing everyone I 'know' edging towards the big day!! It'll be me soon yippee. But for now, have fun getting yourself organised and enjoy every moment of your birth!! xx

Ooh that's so sweet! Thank you :hugs:

Aside from being uncomfortable - the late stages of pregnancy have definitely been my favourite pottering around and getting everything ready! And making sure I plan time for the last few outings... Dinner out with my parents for the last time... Just nipping out for dinner with my husband because we can... Being silly and saying "When the baby's here he can join us!"

It has been lovely - you will enjoy the next few weeks I am sure. I read a lot of women saying at 36 weeks they were ready for it all to be over, but for me - it's such a big change I'll be happy when he decides it's time! :baby:

(Although tomorrow would be nice! :haha: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->