Sweep

storm4mozza

Mom of 3 :)
Reaction score
Hi all so im 3 days overdue and little man has got 2 days or im going to accept the offer of a sweep, ive read up on it and it seems ok i know it can be uncomfortable but its different for every woman, has anyone got any positive stories on sweeps and the success rate?

please no negative comments. i dont need them right now

until a false alarm on friday i had never had anyone see me down there and to be honest im terrified of the midwife seeing me, i know it sounds stupid as im 40 weeks pregnant but i dont know how im going to stay calm:cry:

Bless you, can't advise on sweep although my mum had one 32 years ago with my sister and went into labour soon afterwards. She doesn't recall it being particularly unpleasant. As for the shyness and dignity side babe, well it will happen and you will forget about it once things start to happen. I was horrified at the prospect a few years back but seriously after 2 ops down there, IVF treatment and one severe haemorrhage I no longer care. The docs/nurses/MWs don't give a monkeys - they could be looking in your ear or down your throat for all they care. Look on the bright side - there is a big bump between you and your foofi right now so you can detatch yourself from the situation a bit :thumbup:

i am 3 days overdue aswell and have a sweep booked with the midwife in 5hours. so i will re post on here later and let you know how it goes! :) (was due on the 28th)

by the way, i am in exactly the same boat, i am really worried about wacking it out to the midwife which is silly considering we are gunna be giving birth soon and they will be seeing alot more then! XD i have been getting impatient with finding out if i have been dilating so i get my partner to feel my cervix every couple of days. as long as he doesnt put his finger inside the cervix then there is no problem. also it might help you to be a bit used to it for when you have the sweeep! if you do do that, then make sure he washes his hands :)

my MW tried to do a sweep a day after my due date but couldn't do it as my cervix was completely closed :( it didn't hurt when she tried though, just a bit uncomfy..! I've heard if they can do it there's a v.good chance it'll work, if not the first time then they do it again approx a week later which has a much better chance of success :)

Hi,
I had a sweep last Friday at 39 weeks. I had never had any examinations or smears before so it was a bit odd letting a doctor down there. She was very nice and said if it got too much she would stop. It didn't hurt, I just felt a lot of pressure up inside me as she was doing it. It only lasted about two minutes, if that. I just kept looking at the assistant who had to chaperone her and spoke to her.

Later on Friday I got some cramping and pains in my back, tummy and hip area. I found it painful when walking. This lasted until I fell asleep and had gone on Saturday. I had a little bleeding but she said to expect that.

On Saturday I went to the shop and when I came back I had a bit of mucous plug when I wiped. Went for an hours walk and had more plug loss. A few crampy pains but nothing much.

On Sunday (yesterday), I had a shower and lost a bit more plug. Went for an hours walk. Started with pains at 6.30pm. Backache constant radiating round to tummy and getting worse when tummy gets hard. This lasted all night ranging between 15 mins and 4 mins apart, nothing regular. Managed to sleep a little bit but kept waking up so after a few hours I stopped trying to sleep. Had a bath and it didn't help. Pains coming still.

I've just managed to sleep on and off for the past hour. Kept being disturbed with the pains. Still happening now.

Sorry I can't help with success rates as I only had mine a few days ago and I'm having pains now so only time will tell.

Btw, I was 1.5cm dilated when she did the sweep and hadn't lost any plug until then.

Hope this helps xx

I've had a sweep with both of my children & they didn't hurt me at all & for me weren't really that uncomfortable?
I'll have one again this time if need be!
Also they worked for me & i gave birth within the 48 hours that they say it should do in (if it's going to) So i'm a great advert for them :)

I had one last monday but it didn't work, sometimes they say it works better the 2nd or 3rd try. It works best if you are already dilated a bit and your cervix is somewhat effaced. If you aren't dilated at all they may not be able to do it at all or at least not very well. Also if you bleed right after the dr/midwife does it and they pull their glove away with some blood on it it is supposed to be more likely to work as it means they were able to do it well.

I am going to have my OB do it again this morning, appt in an hour. She really thought we had a good chance of something happening when she did it last monday as I was 3cm & 30% but I guess you just never know!!! It's worth a shot to me, I did not find it painful this time around-just uncomfy. With my son my ob tried it & I was only 1/2cm and I was in tears.

I've had two in the last week (I'm 41 weeks and 1day) - neither have worked so far but just wanted to comment and say the sweeps themselves were not bad at all. Just like having a smear and I was only 1cm xx

I am also freaking out at the idea of a sweep! I went to the birthing unit a couple of weeks ago as I thought I was leaking, the MW did an internal examine and I got all embarassed too and kept myself covered up with the sheet. I did find it funny though seeing as I will be loosing a lot more dignity very soon.

I haven't really heard many people's opinions on a sweep to be honest so it's good someone started a thread as I'm quite interested!

As much as the idea of a sweep freaks me out, I think I would give it a go. Nothing is scaring me more than going overdue, nothing working and then having to go to the pre-natal ward and end up sitting there for a few days being induced and waiting for that to work!

I assume they must have a fairly decent success rate otherwise they wouldn't do them.

How over due do you have to be to have one? Also I saw someone above had one at 39 weeks? Does anyone know why you would have one early?

XX

They do them earlier in the US I believe (the US has a very different point if view over women going overdue) They'll only do them earlier here if you are booked in for an early induction I think. They have a half-half success rate after 40 weeks according to my midwife. Like I say I'm 41+1 and neither of mine have worked so far! :-( I have a third one on Wednesday then induction booked for Saturday! :cry: I am upset that I might not get my birth centre water birth and instead might end up strapped to a monitor at the hospital :cry:

HAD THE SWEEP JUST OVER AN HOUR AGO. it does not hurt!!! this may sound a bit crude, but it feels like when you have sex and the penis thumps something inside if that makes sense? (when it feels like it has gone in a bit too deep and it thumps your cervix.)

i hope this helps!
by the way, i am not in labour but i am nearly 3cm dilated and nearly fully effaced!! woo hoo. come on little man, you are 3 days overdue as it is! :D

BY THE WAY, the midwife told me that if i go into labour after 72 hours, it is not cos of the sweep and she said that the sweep only works within 72 hours (if i go into labour at all in this next 72 hours) so after 72 hours its your body going into labour naturally if that makes sense? <--- that is the same rule to anyone that has had a sweep :)

I'm fully effaced too- about 95% she said yesterday- but still only 1cm unfortunately! You sound like you have a good chance of the sweep working if you're 3cm already xxx

I'm fully effaced too- about 95% she said yesterday- but still only 1cm unfortunately! You sound like you have a good chance of the sweep working if you're 3cm already xxx

i hope so! :D :thumbup: she basically said that im a prime candidate for a sweep cos i have been in early labour for 3 weeks (not established labour though, basically false labour) and im 2 and a half cm dilated, nearly 3,, so not quite 3. and the midwife told me that it is impossible to be 100% effaced untill you go into proper labour im afraid you will be stuck at 95%. <-- which is REALLY good! :D cos alot of people hardly efface and dont even dilate at all untill they go into proper labour. we are one of the lucky ones! :):happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Yes the midwife did say to me that my effacement is really good- it's just the lack of dilation that is disappointing! She says it's probably because he is not engaging enough and not pushing on my cervix at all. He's been back-to-back for weeks and weeks which means he hasn't got his head into the right position at all :dohh: :dohh:

Good luck xxxx

How over due do you have to be to have one? Also I saw someone above had one at 39 weeks? Does anyone know why you would have one early?

XX

That's me. I was shocked when she offered it me too as I know here (England) they usually wait til you're overdue.

I have had a lot of problems with my blood pressure going up and my pulse is very fast too so i was shared care between 25 and 34 weeks having both consultant and midwife appointments. Things seemed to settle down but then last couple of weeks my BP has been around 140/90 and last tues I had a plus of protein in my wee so my midwife booked me in to see the consultant on Friday.

On Friday i was 39 weeks and saw the consultants registrar. My BP had come down to 122/90 and my wee was clear. I was still swollen though. I had had a night of contractions earlier in the week so I told the doctor about that and she felt my tummy and then said she could try do a stretch and sweep to see if things got moving for me so I agreed.

I have to have an extra BP check this week to see if I'm still ok. I guess she decided to do the sweep because of how close I am to the end and also I guess With my protein, BP and swelling I could develop pre eclampsia at this stage and they'd just induce me then anyway.

Also, when she checked me my cervix was soft and was 1.5cm dilated so I guess the contractions last week were doing something to me.

Oops didn't realise I'd rambled on so much! Just wanted to give a bit of background but yeah I was shocked to be offered one so early. Xx

Yes the midwife did say to me that my effacement is really good- it's just the lack of dilation that is disappointing! She says it's probably because he is not engaging enough and not pushing on my cervix at all. He's been back-to-back for weeks and weeks which means he hasn't got his head into the right position at all :dohh: :dohh:

Good luck xxxx

you probably dont want to read this but i have been fully engaged for nearly 2 weeks, so maybe that is why my cervix is doing as it is told.BUT be grateful you are not fully engaged cos it is SO SO painful!! lol. your pelvis is SO achey and you can barely walk and feel like you have to make the same movement as someone that is walking on the moon (if that makes sense? :/) (but it is not like that for everyone, but it is for me, but i have a small frame, i am 4foot 11 :/)
:flower:

have you tried laying on your back and twisting the baby round with your hands? it is alot easier to move your baby yourself than you think?? :thumbup::hugs:

GOOD LUCK.

No that's one I haven't tried actually! I'll give that a go in a bit! I've been ball bouncing and sleeping on the left hand side etc...and she did say at my appointment yesterday that he has now come round to the side and his spine is down my left hand side now- so he's no longer back-to-back but still not completely round yet x

well to be honest, some babies lay on thier side until birth. my little one is fully engaged but he lays on my right with his back facing right if that makes sense. babies dont stay 100% in the middle. dont let the midwife worry you as aslong as hes not back to back, then everything should be fine now! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->