Sweeps after c-section

jadesh101

Keira&Seren
Reaction score
Hello, so I know you can't be started off after having a c-section, but does that include having a sweep ??

I am ttc baby number 2 and had an emergency c-section and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a vaginal delivery with next baby, but I am worried that since I have never been in labour or giving birth I might end up going over 40 weeks like with most first time pregnancies and not being able to be induced and having yet another c-section ???:happydance:, a sweep maybe a little glimmer of hope

Hi i had an c section with my 1st about 3 years ago, and im coming to an end with this pregnancy and i was offered a sweep at 38 weeks but ive decided to have my sweep at 39 weeks instead. So yes you can have a sweep if you've had a c section. Hope this helps xx

I've just seen the vbac midwife today and she said they will offer a sweep after 38/39 weeks if wanted/needed but no other form of induction can be used.
My DD1 was a c/section, but DD2 & DD3 were natural, and I had sweeps with both - they worked for me and I was in labour within 2 days....... I'm hoping for the same this time round!

Good luck with TTC hun xxxxxx

Oooooooo great stuff, just didn't want to not go into labour and the only option is having another c-section, glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere, my biggest dream is to push my baby into the world, thank you ladies feel sooo much better now MWAH :hug:

You can have a sweep and a membrane stretch but no 'chemicals'.

Some will give you a prostaglandin pessary, it just depends on who is treating you.

Thanks babe, feel EVEN better haha, well lets get the TTC part out of the way first haha xx

Lol jumping the gun a bit are we? Not even preg yet and worried you may go overdue!! haha! Anyways I'm not a doc sweetie but I think you can get a sweep as this causes natural progression, I think you cant be induced because this can cause really hard contractions that might tear your scar? But a sweep wouldnt do that at all, it may just speed up labor.

baby dust!!!! :dust: xx

Lol jumping the gun a bit are we? Not even preg yet and worried you may go overdue!! haha! Anyways I'm not a doc sweetie but I think you can get a sweep as this causes natural progression, I think you cant be induced because this can cause really hard contractions that might tear your scar? But a sweep wouldnt do that at all, it may just speed up labor.

baby dust!!!! :dust: xx

Yeah it's something that is really worrying me has been since I had my DD :baby:

I know you can't be induced that is what is scaring me, even though my daughter was born and both our life's were saved, I would do anything not to have another c-section :(

You can be induced after a C section.

I wanted to be induced if need be with Amber. Spoke to my consultant who would have induced me because I felt so strongly that I did not want another C section, but baby was going to have to come out early.

The plan was to give me 1 lot of the prostaglandin gel and start me off on a tiny dose of oxytocin drip. If the contractions were too strong, the drip would be stopped and if the contractions didn't keep going on their own, then I would have to get a C section.

They may say they wont do this and that... but if you push a little, they will find a safe and suitable alternative.

In the end I had an elective C section because there was a chance I had a partial abruption and lots of other complications going on at the time too.

The elective was nothing like what I imagined, it wasn't a pleasant experience, but I got through it, and my baby girl cried as soon as she was born and I got to hold her as soon as I was stitched up in recovery. DH was holding her next to my head almost as soon as she came out.

I'm not saying an elective is the way to go, but if it ends up happening, it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Well I'm confused.

I had my consultants appointment yesterday and they have scheduled me in on 12.07.10 for an induction. I had a sweep yesterday and have been offered another tomorrow.

I asked the consultant why I'd read that prior c-section were not inducable and he said that there were two methods to induce. One was using prostaglandins and the other a drip. He said I would not be given prostaglandins but would be offered the drip only.

There must be different protocols for different trusts. So here I can be induced even though previoulsy I had an emergency section but only with the drip method.

Alex

Well I'm confused.

I had my consultants appointment yesterday and they have scheduled me in on 12.07.10 for an induction. I had a sweep yesterday and have been offered another tomorrow.

I asked the consultant why I'd read that prior c-section were not inducable and he said that there were two methods to induce. One was using prostaglandins and the other a drip. He said I would not be given prostaglandins but would be offered the drip only.

There must be different protocols for different trusts. So here I can be induced even though previoulsy I had an emergency section but only with the drip method.

Alex

See here they said that drips etc... are very dangerous, as the contractions are a lot stronger via artificial labour and can tear the scar, but you consultant knows what he/she is doing, very confusing I know, good luck sweetie :happydance:

Oh my Gosh. I didnt realise that you can't be induced after having a c-section :(

I would hate to go over-due this time then have to have another section because being induced isnt an option :(

First thing on my 'to ask' list when i see my MW :thumbup:

Thanks!

Oh my Gosh. I didnt realise that you can't be induced after having a c-section :(

I would hate to go over-due this time then have to have another section because being induced isnt an option :(

First thing on my 'to ask' list when i see my MW :thumbup:

Thanks!

No problem babes, it's scaring me to :cry:

Glad I found this thread. Was wondering why they won't induce. Also don't like the idea of another c section. Plan is to have sweep at 39 weeks and if I don't go naturally by due date I have to have section at 40+4. Fingers crossed sweep works, it's baby 3 and I am huge already, can barely move without being exhausted, sciatica etc. Good luck ladies x

You can be induced for VBAC - obviously it depends on the situation - uterine rupture is 0.1% and induction increases that risk to 2% it is up to you whether you are induced or go for a repeat section.

Sweeps are fine as its a natural method so does not increase the risk x

Well baby's head has been down from 30wks and have been diagnosed with spd and restless leg syndrome :( In agony and can barely leave the house. Hoping they move the sweep forward a little, can't see me making it til due date. Mw at 34 wks so will see what's suggested x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->