Sweet vs savoury!

kaylynn040485

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
Ok so Jessica has been doing great with weaning and when i started the hv advised me to stay away from sweet things to begin with as she would get a preference to sweet and could end up refusing savoury, so i stayed clear of sweet for a while to get her established on savoury. Anyway, ive begun introducing sweet things, lust pureed fruits etc but for the past week ive noticed she is refusing her savoury. She gets her breakfast which is either rice or porridge and i mix some frupura(sp) through it so she takes that no probs but then at lunch i give her some savoury whether it be carrots, a jarred dinner (she was taking majority of jar) then giving her a little bit of pureed fruit after but she has started refusing the savoury, turning her head away every spponful and basically making it impossible and then if i try the fruit she knows and takes it fine lol! So wot do u girls think is the best solution? Should i cut out the sweet again? Kx

I have no experience of this myself, but I've definitely seen this issue raised before in this section so maybe have a search? :)

mines the other way he hates his fruit, veggies he loves

Dylan went through a phase like this, he still prefers his sweet things but will eat savoury again now. When he was refusing savoury puree's I gave him finger foods instead and this seemed to work as he loves feeding himself. Depends on how old your LO is though. All I can say is he did grow out of the phase after a couple of weeks!

awww thats a tough one, HV advised me the same thing and today I fed Olivia her veggies and she was taking them fine, then she started crying so I thought she was looking for the bottle but no when I gave her pear she stopped crying so iv decided to stick to savoury again for the mo until she understands that if she doesnt eat the savoury she doesnt get the sweet!

Caine loves both!! Anything I put in his mouth!

I do notice however that Caine wont eat jar stuff, so he hasnt ate that for weeks, he has all fresh and loves it.... Butternut squash, turnip, parsnip are winners.

Cheese, Mash and cheese and spag bol are gooD!

Caine has sweet lunch and sav dinner.

Breakfast: rusk, porridge etc
Lunch: Petis flous / banana and custard / muller rice / blueberries / strawberries / pot jelly
Tea: Spag bol / sunday dinner / veg mix / thick soup etc.....

And 3 bottles... xx

Thanks Jade, really not been wanting to give her jars all the time but not been sure where to start with making my own so yours gives me an idea of where to go. I bought sweet potatoes the other day and they r still sitting there, too scared to try do anything with them lol so the blueberries/strawberries, do u just mash them? Kx

With the blueberries, mummcat gave me a brill recipe!

Put a spoonful of water in a pan and add a handful of blueberries, boil until they pop and splash, then mix with banana in a mixer until smooth, or if Jessica is used to lumps, make a bit more lumpier each time. Add rasberries or strawberries too...

With the squash and sweet potato, cut into chunks and roast / or boil and make into a soup with a bit of potato, garlic and onions (fried) and blitz it it really is gorgeous...

Boiled turnip, carrots and parsnips mashed up too are gorgeous, I even love it. I make loads of everything and then freeze a load. Thay way if we have pizza, indian etc I can give Caine a frozen one if we eat that xx

I was just about to start a thread on something pretty much the same. I started LO on savoury and then introduced a bit of fruit and baby porridge in the morning tihnking it would be ok but no, he now totally refuses savoury food and it's driving me mad! I have a baby recipe book and went out and bought a load of food and spent ages preparing/cooking/blending it and he doesn't like it! If I try and give him anything savoury he cries and refuses to take any after the first mouthful.
Shall I just stop sweet stuff full stop and hope he forgets about it?

Have you tried savoury food that is sweet?

Turnip, parsnip, cheese and mash, sweet pot, squash etc? xx

Aww thanks jade will give those recipes a go, jessica is on more lumpy now so she should enjoy those, might get a recipe book too to get me started, any good recommendations? Kx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->