switching breasts?

Ashley2189

Mommy to a sweet toddler
Reaction score
do most of you give both breasts to LO at a feed? i didn't know about that when i first started, so never did it. every now and then i'll offer her the 2nd breast if she's a bit unsettled after feeding, but more often i'll just put her back on the same one she just had :blush: lol it's a rare occurrence anyway. she is a monster sized baby :haha:, off the charts for both height and weight so we've obviously been doing well like this :thumbup: so just really curiosity had me wondering how many feed as i do, giving only one breast per feed?

I do one side per nursing. But only because she usually doesnt even finish one side, so I dont bother to offer the other side. I will burp her, then offer same side which she rarely goes back onto because she's had enough. But when she is closer to a year old I'm sure she will start taking both sides per nursing, because thats how it was with my last dd.
I do rarely offer the 2nd side though, but only if she so happens to drain one side. I think its only happened twice so far

It really depends on how hungry she is. If she drains one dry and is still hungry then she gets the second one. I also swap between feeds, so left breast on feed and right breast next feed, otherwise I get to swollen. As it is I usually have to express between feeds.

It really depends on how hungry she is. If she drains one dry and is still hungry then she gets the second one. I also swap between feeds, so left breast on feed and right breast next feed, otherwise I get to swollen. As it is I usually have to express between feeds.

i used to get engorged between feeds too. settled down for me between 2-3 months :thumbup:

Yep, I'm a one-boob per feed woman too! Exactly like u, I didn't know any different at first, but has worked out fine for us too. My LO is 75th percentile for weight, 99+ percentile for height. At the start I had a problem with foremilk/hindmilk imbalance /lactose overload and they said the "cure" was one boob per feed, which I was already doing! So we kept going! x

I offer the same boob if he unlatches but after burping still seems hungry...because I want him to get the rich fatty milk at the end of the feed and also because it gives the other boob a much need break till the next feed.

She drains both in about 3 mins per side! Sometimes we go back and start again and she has both twice. Have been the same since birth. I gave her a top up after a bf once and she took another 9oz. I don't think she knows what full is lol

One side per feed...to ensure she gets the fore and hind milk. x

When Evie was a new born I would only offer one side per feed and she was totally happy with that.

From about 10 month she started wanting both sides and now at 18 months she boob hops and will feed fr each side about 10times :rofl:

LO only ever wanted one side per feed until about 7 months, when he suddenly started being really fussy until offered both sides. I think maybe he uses me more a drink now, so he wants the faster flowing milk to quench his thirst.

One boob per feed here too. It was the same with my son as well - except when he was going through a growth spurt! x

so it's not as abnormal as i thought then! good to hear. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->