Switching Formulas? Transitioning from BM

mkyerby16

Reaction score
My DS is 4 months old and has been breastfed up until this point. For many reasons we have decided to transition him to formula. He normally eats 5x per day. The original plan was to replace one feeding with formula for two days, then 2 bottles for a couple of days, then 3 bottles of formula, etc. until it was all formula. Soo on Friday & Saturday his midday feed was formula and the other 4 were breastmilk. We went with Similac Advanced. He's always been a very spitty baby (Dr. said it could be reflux but hasn't looked into it b/c he doesn't cry/arch/get upset when spitting up.. in fact he laughs if it's on us.. I swear he does it on purpose!!) lol However, all day yesterday the spitting up seemed excessive. It was non-stop in fairly large amounts. He was also a bit gassy, had one explosive liquid poo, and when my mom was babysitting she said he had a very smelly poo with some mucus in it. Strangely though he was very happy and not fussy at all. My question is do I go with the original plan and give him two bottles of Similac Adv today or should I try a bottle of Similac Sensitive (we have a sample can in the cabinet). I'm torn bc I know it takes them awhile to adjust and switching around isn't good, but he spit up so much yesterday that I worry how much he actually kept in him. :shrug:

Maybe instead of one full bottle of formula per day you could instead start mixing BM & formula in each bottle. At first do mostly BM and a little formula and increase the amount of formula until its all formula. Seems like that might be a smoother transition if he's got a sensitive tummy.

I'm not sure on the transitioning from bm question, but I can help with the similac question. Dd is on similac sensitive, but takes similac advance just fine as well. When she was brand new she would spit up a lot and had to switch to Dr Browns bottles and to Similac sensitive. It's the same price so we figured why not. But like I said, similac advance is fine too.

It's common for babies to be gassy and poop when switching what they eat. I asked dd Dr about it and he said to expect some fussing and gas and tummy problems for a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->