Switching from OB in private hospital to homebirth?

clairea

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I have been doing the hypnobirth course, read the book do the CD's nightly etc. and it has completely turned my view of birth upside down.

We met with a lovely midwife who I feel completely comfortable with and who assures me any sign of anything but normal and we'll be off to the hospital. I trust her completely. In saying that I had a horrific dream I gave birth to my baby and she didn't breathe and died... and it's put all sorts of doubts in my mind and I am looking for some reassurance.

Also, I have a wonderful relationship with my OB who does believe in natural, unmediated water birth and is willing to provide that to me. The thing is, the cost for this service which is only available in a private hospital is through the roof, and besides I would just feel more comfortable at home assuming everything goes well. I only recently found out that the OB is not there with you through labour and only there for the actual birth, well…all the hard work is done by then, and to me it just seems a bit of a rip off! My OB has been with me from the start finding out why we couldn’t get pregnant and helping us to get pregnant . I have no idea how to tell her I want to switch to homebirth, in a nice way. I hope that she supports my decision and doesn’t fill me with more doubt as I really respect her opinion on things. I saw my gp over the weekend for an unrelated issue and mentioned it, he told me he wouldn’t recommend it (I have a close relationship with him too). Do any of you have any ideas? Any ladies made the switch before?

Thanks.

I wouldn't say anything. I just wouldn't make anymore appointments for the rest of the time you are pregnant.

I switched last time around and told the office scheduler I was leaving their practice b/c I was switching to a home birth. The OB called me back that day and gave me a bunch of angry scare tactics (she'd been really nice up until that point, promising a natural hospital birth), so I wish I would have just not answered her call back after I canceled my last appt.

Good luck in however you do decide to make the break.

I switched last time around and told the office scheduler I was leaving their practice b/c I was switching to a home birth. The OB called me back that day and gave me a bunch of angry scare tactics (she'd been really nice up until that point, promising a natural hospital birth), so I wish I would have just not answered her call back after I canceled my last appt.

Good luck in however you do decide to make the break.

That sounds awful! I am sorry she was so nasty to you!. My 24 week check up is today so we are telling her today. My midwife has had a few ladies come across from this OB and said that she has been fine with it, so hopefully all goes well today :)

oh, wow - i hope it went well!

All went fine she was very happy for me to homebirth and supportive. I do know I am the fourth lady she has lost to homebirth this month though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->