Switching to FF

MrsHudson

Mama & Doula
Reaction score
My LO is a week old today and I mentally can't handle BF. He takes my breast but isn't getting enough milk and after a long stressful day, I decided it is best for me and him to FF. I picked up Earths Best formula as it seemed to have the most natural ingredients. I have fed him one bottle of it and plan to speak with the pediatrician tomorrow. I felt like an awful mom but seeing him fed and satisfied after a feed made me so happy. I found feeding him comforting and not stressful.

But.... I realized I have loads of questions about FF. we have playtex drop ins bottles that I got for my shower and I'm wondering if these are good to use. He took to the bottle really well. I used tap water and I realized I should probably be boiling it instead. Can I make enough for the whole day? And if so, how do I store it? He did spit up afterwards and I'm hoping this is just because he drank too much too fast. Any suggestions on that?

Like I said I plan to speak with the pediatrician tomorrow and will most likely BF until then but wanted to know some other people's experiences.

I switched to ff at two weeks. I was not producing enough and my baby lost 2 lbs. It was the best thing I could have done. While I still get some guilt I do believe it was for the best.

I was told in the states we do not need to boil the water. I used bottled water until DS turned six months then started using tap. I use to make up a day's worth for when I was at work. However, I found making them on demand is a lot less work and there is no need to heat them up. When I did make them I would boil the water then add to the formula and keep it in a large bottle. Then I reheated it in a bottle warmer. They are good for 24 hours in the fridge and 1 hour out.

Make sure you have a slow nipple so that he isn't eating to fast. I used the playtex ventaire and really liked them (and I didn't have the extra cost of buying the dropins). DS took well to them right away.

Thank you for the input! I've been using bottled water. Our water leaves a weird film on things. I did notice the drop ins seem to flow way too fast for him so I tilt it way back for him. I ended up BF him twice today. One for engorgement and the second because our outing took way longer than expected and he was starving. New mom here so I forgot to put bottle supplies in the bag. He gained 5 oz since Wednesday! So I feel so much better.

That is a great gain! You're doing it right for sure.

I always forget Christian's bottle. I had to write a list to check before we leave the house or I always leave something essential at home.

Oh and you can usually find distilled water cheap at the store. I think a gallon was 88 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->