Swollen feet and a sexist boss - whining!

MamaFlick

Reaction score
Just need to have a little rant.

I have a B.S. in Accounting and I'm a CPA. I've been working in accounting for five years. I review people's work; people come to me with issues they can't figure out. So what I'm trying to say here is that I am an asset to my company.

My boss told me that once I got my CPA license "it would be well worth [my] time," then I got a 3% raise when I actually earned my CPA license. He told me "sorry, I tried to get you more of a raise. They just don't understand how hard it is to get a CPA license." Um, try harder? I studied for THOUSANDS of hours for those tests and drove 5 hours to get to each exam (I had to take them 9 times by the way). It took me over two years to pass the exams. It was the most stressful thing I've ever been through. More than marriage, more than buying a house, more than divorce. Then about a year and a half later, I finally got a "promotion" in title but then only a 3% raise with that. And even though I got a promotion, on the organizational chart I'm still shown at the same level I was before the promotion, which is at the same level as the people whose work I review!!!

The reason I'm still here with this company is because 1) I hate changing jobs, and 2) It's the only job available for me in this city (for now), and 3) I have some sort of loyalty to my company, despite the fact that it's a company run by sexist men who go golfing every week while the rest of us are sitting here working. I've been looking at other jobs lately just to see what's out there in other cities that I'd like to live in, and there are MANY jobs available for me with more opportunity for growth and better pay. I'm just waiting until the right time (hopefully when my DH graduates from college early next year) for us to be able to move.

So anyways, I'm almost 34 weeks pregnant and I'm grumpy, and tired, and my feet are swollen up like marshmallows, and my boss asked me to rent a car for him and another guy, and also to sign them up for a conference. Do I look like a freakin' secretary to you? I'm a CPA! I'm educated! There are only three CPAs in this office, ME, and the two I'm supposed to be signing up for this conference. Sign yourselves up for your own damn conferences!!! ARRRRGGGHHH! Would my boss ever have a man do this kind of crap for him? ABSOLUTELY NOT! He is nice and I get along with him but he's SO SEXIST! And he has no idea!!! I am more educated and experienced than 5 out of the 8 people in this office, but I'm the one he makes do his office shopping and organize his trips. I'm just sick of it and I can't wait to take maternity leave in 2.5 weeks! They can't pass quickly enough!

And please, don't think that I'm ungrateful to have a job. I am very happy to have a job and I know there are a lot of people who would kill to have my job. I'm just frustrated and tired, and I feel like I deserve to be treated better.

And now my whine about my swollen feet. I went mini golfing with my husband for his birthday last night, and I've been paying for it ever since. I didn't have any swelling in my whole pregnancy until last night, and now my feet look like marshmallows. And they hurt a bit. :( I called my midwife and she said to try to elevate them (kind of hard sitting at my desk, but I put a box under there so hopefully that helps). She also said it's a good thing that I'm taking leave at 36 weeks since I appear to be one of the lucky ones who gets extremely swollen lower extremeties during pregnancy (yayyyy).

/rant over, thanks for listening. <3

Oh I'm sorry doll! *hugs* I can't stand guys like that makes me so effing mad!

Wow. I am sorry too! I was in the same boat as you until fairly recently. Certified and licensed CPA in my state working at an office where the experience level was only a couple of years on average because management could not retain employees and there I was with more than 5+ years experience more than my peers and they were getting promoted over me. All I have to say is please do not waste your time at a company that is not willing to recognize how valuable you are. I wasted too many years and when I finally woke up and left that place I have been so much happier. No job or boss or office is worth that kind of stress. Good luck and don't be afraid to move on to something better - this may be a sign that it's time for you to find greener pastures.

Wow. I am sorry too! I was in the same boat as you until fairly recently. Certified and licensed CPA in my state working at an office where the experience level was only a couple of years on average because management could not retain employees and there I was with more than 5+ years experience more than my peers and they were getting promoted over me. All I have to say is please do not waste your time at a company that is not willing to recognize how valuable you are. I wasted too many years and when I finally woke up and left that place I have been so much happier. No job or boss or office is worth that kind of stress. Good luck and don't be afraid to move on to something better - this may be a sign that it's time for you to find greener pastures.

This makes me feel so much better - like there's HOPE out there. Thank you! I'm glad you were able to find a better place.

I feel your pain, I had to threaten to quit last year to get a promotion I was overdue for. You know, your boss is probably threatened by you... that's why he treats you like a secretary

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->