Taking a newborn to a school play

Fruitmash

Reaction score
Just trying to get organised! I'm due on the 22nd of December, but since I'll be getting induced beforehand I'll have a newborn by the time DD has her Christmas play on.
Ideally, I'd keep him home but I won't be able to miss it. She'll be getting a bigger role this year and is already excited and I know from past experience if I miss it I won't personally be able to handle how guilty I feel about it.
I was thinking that baby wearing might be a better idea than a pram? Also feed him before and bring a bottle for him, stay on the edge so I can slip out if he gets too overstimulated keep him close and keep mittens on, DH, DD and I can sanitise our hands before touching him just in case.
Does anyone have any experience or advice? Did I get anything wrong?
Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Also want to mention the play is short, 15-20 minutes long!

I just took my newborn to my older son's band concert. I wore baby (2 weeks old) in our woven wrap, completely tucked him away :)
I brought hand sanitizer (for myself) & sat on the end, in case I needed to leave, but I didn't. We sat further back than usual since we knew it would be loud.
I fed & changed him in the car before we went in and it went perfectly...he slept the entire time and no one tried to get too close! I'd say go for it!

Another baby wearer here and exactly what I would do

I've taken my five week old daughter to two school events this week - poem recital and harvest festival. I made sure she was fed and well asleep before we got there and positioned myself near the exit in case she cried. I was worried about her but also conscious that a screaming baby could ruin the kids experience if their performance. I wanted to five year old to know we were there but if baby was upset - we would leave so we didn't ruin other people hearing the performance x. I just took her in the pram x

Chances are if baby has been fed they'll probably sleep right through so you'll worry over nothing :haha:

We took Freya to school events, cinema etc from birth and as long as she was fed and had had her nappy done before leaving you'd never have known she was there!

I have two older kids and had to get out and about at all sorts of germy places with LO starting at basically the two week mark and, as others have said, I also think babywearing was the key. I did a Baby Bjorn with a light covering over the top and plenty of ventilation on the sides and checked on LO frequently. I also asked people to keep a good 3-foot distance and told them that they would get to meet LO soon enough. I carried two bottles of sanitizer and a bag of hand wipes too. As far as disturbances to baby, she slept through basically everything at that stage so there was really no amount of noise or movement that seemed to bother her!

I think your plan sounds great and my only thought is that you may just want to sit away from the crowd altogether in case anyone in the audience is sick and coughing. Like maybe you and DH can pull two chairs away to the side of the auditorium?

I've always taken my newborns to things and as long as they have a bottle on hand they are always fine. Newborns are the best age to take out to things like that as they don't play up in the same way a toddler would

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->