Taking a premie outside in the cold...

ButtonJessie

TTC #2 :)
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My baby was born on 3rd December at 35 weeks gestation. She is 12 days old now, and we are back home as of yesterday.

I don't drive and since its so close the Christmas I have A LOT of stuff to do in town. The walk to town is about 12 minutes, and all the shops are close together.

She is such a titch though, and it is so cold outside, I'm worried that it's too cold for her to go outside, but at the same time, I don't want to be completely housebound with her for the next few weeks.

I can wrap her up obviously in lots of blankets, cardigans, hat, mittens etc and we have a lie flat carrycot, but still I'm not sure its safe to take a premie out in this cold weather.

Any suggestions?

xxx

Wrap her in light layers that can be removed if you feel its getting to warm for her.

Katie was born at 37 weeks and we just wrapped her and then when i went into shops i removed the raincover if it was on and her hat.

She will let you know if she is too warm.

V xxx

As above put layers on that are easy to take off, she will be fine I took all mine out the day after they came home cause taking others to school or playgroup x

Yup just layer her up hun, snowsuits are good too.

I think most new parents are scared of taking LOs outside in this weather, but especially with a teeny tiny one. Carrycots are brilliant for this sort of thing, as you can completely snuggle them up and even pop a blanket over the top of the cot to create a nice warm little tent for them. If you can find a snowsuit to fit, then they're brilliant, keeps them so toasty and lovely. Mogling had a sleeping bag for her carrycot that I adored, so I could leave her in indoor layers, then put a blanket over her, then do up the sleeping bag, then pop another blanket over the top of that. It's easy to tell if they get too hot too, you can just pop a hand on their chest to feel the temperature.

I think she'll be fine as long as you use plenty layers, as the others have said. Sophie's a bit bigger now but I still make sure she is well wrapped up - she has a snowsuit, mitts, a hat and then her hood up as well, and she has a warm knitted thing in her pram that she gets zipped inside, then one or two blankets depending on how cold it is, and then the pram cover thing. She's lovely and snug in there with the hood up.

Enjoy having your LO home :)

Just wrap her up nice and snug and put the raincover over if you can. This is what I did with my girls.

We were advised before we left the hospital to avoid taking baby into crowded places like busy shopping centres especially this time of year as there is more chance of them picking something up like a bug. Anyone else told this?

We were advised before we left the hospital to avoid taking baby into crowded places like busy shopping centres especially this time of year as there is more chance of them picking something up like a bug. Anyone else told this?

Yes. We were told to avoid malls, places with lots of people indoors (shops) and such. Also to avoid having sick friends/family over too. Especially right now while it's cold and flu season and what's more it's RSV season here and most places and RSV is extremely dangerous for preemies.

Lakai is two actual and we still avoid sick friends/people and crowded places. It's just not worth the risk. Sure it gets boring being housebound, but I would rather not risk my son being sick, especially as he was so premature.

In the end it comes down to common sense, how poorly your preemie was, LOTS of hand washing and what you as a parent are comfortable with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->