Taking your child out of school for a family wedding

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
My dd starts school this year and my cousin is getting married on a Friday in November and dd is supposed to be a flower girl , It didn't cross my mind about her not being able to go because of school as this is all new to me ! It's not a holiday .. Just the one day - do you think I would be allowed ? I wouldn't take her out normally and she's rarely sick - I don't want to get into trouble but don't want to miss the wedding either

They can't stop you from taking her out but they have to report the absence to the LA if they so desire. I would inform the school as soon as you can and tell them why you are taking your child out of school. It's then up to the school to report the absence.

In your shoes i would take my child out of school - it's not like you are taking them off just for the fun of it. I know that the majority of people will say for you to phone your child in sick that day but i believe in being open and honest so i would inform them. I also wouldn't trust my child not to tell everyone what was happening and then it would be worse for you if they start asking questions afterwards.

I wouldn't see how it's a problem, but def tell them the truth and as soon as poss, I kept leaving it to tell DD1s teacher that she would be back a few days later after the mid tern break, by the time I saw her she already knew as DD1 had been telling everyone!!! :blush:

oh I wouldnt lie - I certainly wouldn't trust dd not to say - if she is excited about something everyone knows about it for weeks before and after !!!

I hope that the school would be understanding - we have also been invited to a wedding in Italy but ive declined that invite sadly as I know that would be pushing it

Nowadays after new government guidance it is unlikely that they will authorise it. However you are allowed 4 days unauthorised absence in a year (which and I might be wrong usually starts from the moment you take the first day) once you hit 5 days you get a fine of £60 per person per child.

I dont believe in phoning in sick either for two reasons

1) I think it promotes lying to your children
2) It means they cant talk about it either to their friends. We took DD out for a day to go on holiday (Friday to Friday over half term) and she was excited and told everyone about it and then did a scrapbook for her teacher when she got back. If we had called in sick it would seem a bit weird.

You will find lots of people do days here and there (both at her school and when we were on holiday the place was filled with english children and the holidays ran from Friday to Friday (so 1 day missed) or Tuesday to Tuesday (2 days)

Quite frankly if it were me I'd phone her in sick, but you've said you don't want to do that so I'm not sure what to suggest. The school is very unlikely to authorise it, and you'll probably end up with a fine.

look up the school policy - might be on their website

the whole 'sick' issue is an unfortunate side affect of the new guidelines - and I like you would not want to introduce a lie

have you asked other parents from the same school what reactions have been to holiday requests??

if your child has good attendance then I say go for it - some experinces are not to be missed

In our la you would be fined for one day. So check. I'd prob ring in sick but I'm sure as it's not a issue we have as lo us not going to la school.

Hi

I'm a primary school teacher and I would say take her but I would inform the school as soon as possible and stress the important role your dd has on the day. This should make them see it more favourably. I've have known children have days off for swimming contests, music concerts or religious practice. While a it's not a curricular area, this experience would enhance your child's knowledge and understanding of the world, and promote the religious and cultural practices of your family.

Good luck!! :D

I'd try to avoid lying because it puts your child in a difficult situation too but I don't know if you'd get fined for that :/ it's such a joke that you even have to worry about taking your kid out of school for one day to go to a wedding!

Have a chat with the Headteacher and explain the situation. I'm sure they'd authorise one day for such a reason. Head teachers do have the authority to mark absences with "other authorised circumstances" although what they will do this for will depend on their own school policy. Most head teachers I know would much prefer you popping in and being honest about the situation.

There's a story in the news at the moment about a school which refused to let a boy have time off for his own mother's wedding. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rmission-attend-weekday-wedding-ceremony.html

Hi
While a it's not a curricular area, this experience would enhance your child's knowledge and understanding of the world, and promote the religious and cultural practices of your family.

Yes you must stress this. Schools aren't allowed to authorise any holiday in term time anymore but they can use a limited number of "exceptional" circumstances but the definition of that changes between headteachers. If it is reception class she may still be settling in and I can't see it being detrimental to her education. Worst that will happen is that they refuse it, you take her out anyway, she gets a truant mark and you get a fine (£60 per parent per child!) - so best to check their policy sooner rather than later.

Such mixed opinions - thanks all I don't know what to do , yes it's reception she's in and it's one day - what's really annoyed me is her teacher from school was supposed to come into nursery Friday and didn't turn up no call nothing , nursery couldn't get hold of her today and she didn't ring them - whilst there's probably a good reason if they refuse dd to have that day off I'm going to be really cross !!

Ah I missed that she will be in Reception. It should be fine then, education isn't compulsory until the term after she turns 5 anyway. They can't refuse to let her have a day off when she doesn't even have to be in school.

Ah I missed that she will be in Reception. It should be fine then, education isn't compulsory until the term after she turns 5 anyway. They can't refuse to let her have a day off when she doesn't even have to be in school.

A very good point. :)

Urm, yes they can! I know a lot of parents that has taken kids out of reception class, one parent, requested the absence (just a family holiday) and it came back unauthorised, not sure if she will get a fine. Another, notified the school their kids would be out the last 3 days of term in July, she has been reported to the la, so, regardless of being in reception, our school at least, is imposing the rules rigidly.

Urm, yes they can! I know a lot of parents that has taken kids out of reception class, one parent, requested the absence (just a family holiday) and it came back unauthorised, not sure if she will get a fine. Another, notified the school their kids would be out the last 3 days of term in July, she has been reported to the la, so, regardless of being in reception, our school at least, is imposing the rules rigidly.

It's not to do with being in Reception, it's about statutory school age. The OP's daughter will not be statutory school age for the date in question. The children in your examples most likely were. Before that age children can attend part-time or not at all. Even if the school decides to class it as "unauthorised" there is nothing they can do about it.

It's not to do with being in Reception, it's about statutory school age. The OP's daughter will not be statutory school age for the date in question. The children in your examples most likely were. Before that age children can attend part-time or not at all. Even if the school decides to class it as "unauthorised" there is nothing they can do about it.[/QUOTE

:shrug: not the way it works here, all reception kids (aged 4 or 5, and in full time reception classes) have to request the time off, and, in the above cases, regardless of age, have been refused. I don't know of anyone who skips the reception and goes to yr 1 after turning 5, it's not the way it works here at least, so, the whole school, reception aged 4 to yr 2 aged 6/7 has the same rules, might be different rules of how strict schools are depended upon the area maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->