Taking your child out of school for a family wedding

Well I got hold of a letter from another mum who's kids already at the school and it states there's a fine if the kid is off for 5 days so it might be ok - I will explain and see what happens

Thanks , I wouldn't normally take her out of school for a random reason , her attendance at nursery is 100% i understand and agree with the rule as a whole and do think it's a shame that some people have made it difficult for others , I know they can't have 1 rule for 1 and 1 for another so am prepared for a no

I understand your reasons. Their no just means they won't like it - you can obviously still choose to take your daughter as I'm guessing you would rather her go and take the possible fine. But you have a good argument with your circumstances and dd's age. Hope you get a pleasant reception from them. x

I understand your reasons. Their no just means they won't like it - you can obviously still choose to take your daughter as I'm guessing you would rather her go and take the possible fine. But you have a good argument with your circumstances and dd's age. Hope you get a pleasant reception from them. x

Well I can't afford the fine if they say they will so would have to seriously think what I would do

Extra good luck then, hope you get the response you need. x

I'm in Scotland so not sure if it's different, but I have taken dd1 out of school for our wedding and it was authorised, then in march I took dd1 out for 2 days for a family occasion in Birmingham and the request was unauthorised when I went into the office to ask about it they told me not to worry as they cannot authorise anything now unless it's a hospital appointment etc and that I could still take her out of school, I didn't get a fine xx

This happened to us last year. He started school and the next week he had to take two days off for my sisters wedding (It was down south and we had to ravel down the day before) the school were fine about it. He hasn't had a day off since. Sometimes these things are unavoidable x

Ah I missed that she will be in Reception. It should be fine then, education isn't compulsory until the term after she turns 5 anyway. They can't refuse to let her have a day off when she doesn't even have to be in school.

Urm, yes they can! I know a lot of parents that has taken kids out of reception class, one parent, requested the absence (just a family holiday) and it came back unauthorised, not sure if she will get a fine. Another, notified the school their kids would be out the last 3 days of term in July, she has been reported to the la, so, regardless of being in reception, our school at least, is imposing the rules rigidly.

It's not to do with being in Reception, it's about statutory school age. The OP's daughter will not be statutory school age for the date in question. The children in your examples most likely were. Before that age children can attend part-time or not at all. Even if the school decides to class it as "unauthorised" there is nothing they can do about it.[/QUOTE

:shrug: not the way it works here, all reception kids (aged 4 or 5, and in full time reception classes) have to request the time off, and, in the above cases, regardless of age, have been refused. I don't know of anyone who skips the reception and goes to yr 1 after turning 5, it's not the way it works here at least, so, the whole school, reception aged 4 to yr 2 aged 6/7 has the same rules, might be different rules of how strict schools are depended upon the area maybe?

Many schools will have the same rules for all reception children, whether 4 or 5 years old. However, for the LA to enforce a fine for a pre-statutory child (ie before the term after they are 5) would be surprising. They'd be on very shaky grounds.

When did the new rules come in?

As we took Josh out of school last September for my daddy's funeral. I didn't even discuss it, just sent a letter in saying Josh won't be in school because of xyz. Had no fine or any complaint. I guess all schools are different though, but I would definitely say best to be honest and just explain it to them. It's something that's been arranged, I assume, for quite a while so it would be very harsh of them to deny her going or fine you.

weve had our information pack and they said about holidays and a fine if your child is absent for over 5 days - which is not my case so I think it might be ok

As we took Josh out of school last September for my daddy's funeral. I didn't even discuss it, just sent a letter in saying Josh won't be in school because of xyz. Had no fine or any complaint. I guess all schools are different though, but I would definitely say best to be honest and just explain it to them. It's something that's been arranged, I assume, for quite a while so it would be very harsh of them to deny her going or fine you.

The Law was passed in September and is quite restrictive in terms of what is allowed (a funeral would be a wedding would not) so schools have very little leeway now in what is and isnt allowed as it is prescribed by Government.

Mrs Doddy ours is exactly the same and when DD took a day off I just got a standard letter saying is was not allowed and if I had 5 off (in a calendar year from the first day taken) I would be fined. Other than that no one was bothered. Will be taking another one in October and another in May and that still will be ok.

It does get harder though as they get older and will miss stuff

The Law was passed in September and is quite restrictive in terms of what is allowed (a funeral would be a wedding would not) so schools have very little leeway now in what is and isnt allowed as it is prescribed by Government.

Mrs Doddy ours is exactly the same and when DD took a day off I just got a standard letter saying is was not allowed and if I had 5 off (in a calendar year from the first day taken) I would be fined. Other than that no one was bothered. Will be taking another one in October and another in May and that still will be ok.

It does get harder though as they get older and will miss stuff

How have I missed all this?!?

I wouldn't feel right taking him out of school for a holiday, although the more I think about it the more I may change my mind as I can never see us being able to take a holiday otherwise!

In my daughters school and her previous school, it's from the term after the child's 5th birthday. I'm taking mine out for a week in May and my oldest is 6.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girl-banned-schools-restaurant-treat-3881116

I am so so discusted by this HOW can anyone do this to a child ?? I would seriously be kicking off if I was the dad

Thats terrible although i don't really think schools should be rewarding 100% attendance in that way anyway.

What i did find interesting though was the line that said: 'Maddie’s dad Andy is furious with St Giles’ Junior School in Bedworth, Warks, as teachers still refuse to apologise even after being told the reason behind her absence.' which sounds to me like they didn't tell the school until after the day off in which can they didn't know the reason for the absence and so marked it down as unauthorised. Not sure what the procedure is or even if there is one, but once the register has been passed on to the relevant people i assume there may not be anything that can be done to change the attendance record. Obviously doesn't make it right though that she didn't get to go.

When we went for our school meeting a couple of weeks ago we were told that nothing wwould be authorised. I think the new system sucks. Talk about nanny state! I went on holiday during school when I was a kid and it didn't damage me!

I took a day off and went with 2 other girls in my class to chessington for their birthday - and my Dad is VERY strict so it must have been ok back then lol

I haven't asked for that day off yet and I am really unsure what to do , I don't want my dd to suffer because of it

wss^^^^

I have started a discussion in debates about this - as I don't like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->